Looks like Expressjet/Delta is fading some CRJ's

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
As the geek I am, i look at arrival and departures on flightaware under various airports. Having noticed, it looks like delta mainline is using their "new" 717's for smaller routes expressjet and the regionals take/ used to take. Any word on this? Are regionals beginning to fade out routes?

As the geek I am, i look at arrival and departures on flightaware under various airports. Having noticed, it looks like delta mainline is using their "new" 717's for smaller routes expressjet and the regionals take/ used to take. Any word on this? Are regionals beginning to fade out routes?

That would be an interesting reversal of pattern. For the last 2 decades the legacies have been handing those routes over.

That would be an interesting reversal of pattern. For the last 2 decades the legacies have been handing those routes over.

Thats always what I thought. I was looking at ATL and noticed short regional routes were being covered by 717's. This new merge must have changed some schedules.

Consolidation, instead of running 4 50 seaters, they are running 2 100 seaters...half the frequency, lower cost per seat mile...no competition means focusing on cost rather than the passenger...

Thats always what I thought. I was looking at ATL and noticed short regional routes were being covered by 717's. This new merge must have changed some schedules.

Way back when, right before I got my first captains license, I was running Balboa Boat Rental for a United Captain who was getting ready to retire around 1990 and he was telling me about restructuring of the business back then, and he was part of the employee owned era. Everything I have seen since indicated exactly what he said was going to happen.

I thought the 717's were a direct replacement for the -9's they parked last year.

I thought the 717's were a direct replacement for the -9's they parked last year.

717's are added to the fleet to add to the total mainline aircraft numbers, which allows them more large regional jets. Basically the 717 is replacing some of the lower load factor MD88 flights and then the big RJ flights (ERJ175/CRJ900). CRJ900/ERJ175 replaces CRJ700 flights. CRJ700 replaces the CRJ200/ERJ145s they are parking.

717's are added to the fleet to add to the total mainline aircraft numbers, which allows them more large regional jets. Basically the 717 is replacing some of the lower load factor MD88 flights and then the big RJ flights (ERJ175/CRJ900). CRJ900/ERJ175 replaces CRJ700 flights. CRJ700 replaces the CRJ200/ERJ145s they are parking.
I see.

when demand for seats is up they'll prob replace the RJ's - plus they did not spend a lot of money for the 717's - so their cost of operation in is prob lower than the RJ's which are still being depreciated. Thus - the lower cost of operation means they'll run the 717 preferentially.

Back