Looks like delay of lessons due to TIA (mini stroke)

Jeff Szlauko

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ChopperJeff
Been a heck of a year for me so far.
In January I had chest pains, and the catheter/dye test showed a 95% blockage of an artery in the heart. All else looked good though, so turned out to be an easy fix with a stent.
Then on Monday evening I experienced what the doctor said was most likely a TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack), or in laymen's terms, a mini-stroke. The CT scan came back clear, so now it's off to an MRI in a few days, and a heart monitor for a month to see if I have any weird heart rhythms going on.
I've already had about a year off from lessons due mostly to financial reasons, but am now sitting pretty financially, so was looking a resuming shortly.
Well, with a TIA now in my medical record, it looks like I'll have 2 more years at best before I can get back into it. Unless of course they can find a fix for what I experienced.
I see that getting an LSA license does not require a medical certificate, but it seems like the classic case of "just because I CAN do it, doesn't mean I SHOULD!"
I mean, who would want to send themselves up in an airplane knowing that their chance of having a stroke is there!
Has anybody else been in this position?
Maybe more looking for moral support. This whole thing is pretty scary. Oh, and by the way, in case you're curious, I'm 64 years old.

I mean, who would want to send themselves up in an airplane knowing that their chance of having a stroke is there!
There's a chance of any of us having a stroke. If you and your doctor agree that you can safely fly, well, that's why we have Sport Pilot.

There's a chance of any of us having a stroke. If you and your doctor agree that you can safely fly, well, that's why we have Sport Pilot.

Ah yes, good point. No guarantees in life.

What does your doctor say about driving an automobile where the risk to the public is much greater than when operating a Cub?

Another good point. Perhaps due to the mildness of the TIA I experienced, they are not that concerned. I just had difficulty in reading some words, and when talking, found myself searching for the words to say. No physical symptoms such as paralysis, or things like dizziness or loss of balance.

Holy gamoleys! That sounds scary. (Health stuff is always scary, but anything that might affect the brain, a hundred times so...)

You'll probably be inundated with New Information From the World of Medicine for a little while in the short term. Just take the time to absorb it all, and get to know the state of things, and the plan for moving forward. It'll take some time. Meanwhile, Sport Pilot (as well as driving and so much else that we do) is very much a "Know Thyself" kind of deal, so don't sweat it for now, focus on your health -- tell those arteries to straighten up and fly right! -- and know that airplanes will still be out flying when you know thyself enough to know you're ready for 'em...

Remind us where you're based, in case someone is nearby and bored on a sunny day?

All the best,

I had a stroke about a decade ago. Took me years to get the FAA off my back. They required many tests / procedures eventually culminating with a medical flight test and issuance of a SODA. Stroke is like a red flag to a bull where the FAA is concerned.

Holy gamoleys! That sounds scary. (Health stuff is always scary, but anything that might affect the brain, a hundred times so...)

You'll probably be inundated with New Information From the World of Medicine for a little while in the short term. Just take the time to absorb it all, and get to know the state of things, and the plan for moving forward. It'll take some time. Meanwhile, Sport Pilot (as well as driving and so much else that we do) is very much a "Know Thyself" kind of deal, so don't sweat it for now, focus on your health -- tell those arteries to straighten up and fly right! -- and know that airplanes will still be out flying when you know thyself enough to know you're ready for 'em...

Remind us where you're based, in case someone is nearby and bored on a sunny day?

All the best,

I'm based in Northern California, East Bay area, and was flying out of Livermore (KLVK).
My doctor keeps telling me to not be stressed. Easier said that done! Just at the beginning of all this, and perhaps the MRI and heart monitor tests will show something. Well, hopefully the MRI won't show anything!

You need a flying buddy. Besides having someone else who can fly the plane, its a lot more fun to share the experiences. Even as minor as a pinch hitter course for your spouse, or whoever. Makes flying doable, more fun, and much safer. Especially if your going to take friends with you at some point.

You need a flying buddy. Besides having someone else who can fly the plane, its a lot more fun to share the experiences. Even as minor as a pinch hitter course for your spouse, or whoever. Makes flying doable, more fun, and much safer. Especially if your going to take friends with you at some point.

This.

One of the things I’d like to see in the future is a “class 4” medical for pilots who have conditions which could incapacitate them and to mitigate that risk by requiring a copilot. If pilot a has a 1 in 1000 chance of incapacitation, they aren’t flying. But if you require two pilots with independent levels of risk, the chances of both pilots having a problem are 1 in a million.

I like the idea of keeping more pilots flying longer.

Back