looking to replace my king kx 175b

sam beidoun

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
almaz
I am looking to replace my king kx 175b with something better without spending tons of money. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

What's your budget? Just trying to get something that just communicates or want something halfway good?

KX 125. About $700-$1200 used on ebay. LCD display. Built-in CDI. But no GS receiver.

I do not mind spending about $1200-$1500 for a decent radio. Though I am not sure what the final cost would be, since I have to do rewiring. I liked the king kx 175b. I do not know what happened, one day, I turn the radios on and nothing happened. The mechanic that checked it said it was the trays, he said that he fixed that part but my radios still did not work, but when he tried one of his, it did work. he offered to sell me a pair of king kx 170b, which he said that they are identical to the 175b; the only difference being that the 175b is TSo'd .

Both KX-175Bs quit simultaneously? I'd be surprised if the problem was in the radios themselves in that case.

I had two KX-175B's in my 172. One of them quit earlier this year, and I replaced it with a TKM MX-170C. It cost close to $3K new from the factory (just up the road here in Scottsdale AZ), but zero for installation. It's a slide-in replacement, took almost ten minutes. So far I'm happy with it.

Both KX-175Bs quit simultaneously? I'd be surprised if the problem was in the radios themselves in that case.

I had two KX-175B's in my 172. One of them quit earlier this year, and I replaced it with a TKM MX-170C. It cost close to $3K new from the factory (just up the road here in Scottsdale AZ), but zero for installation. It's a slide-in replacement, took almost ten minutes. So far I'm happy with it.
Thank you for the information, I will definitely look into this

does this mean that you can monitor 3 different frequencies?

does this mean that you can monitor 3 different frequencies?
Both com and nav have standby and flip-flop features, but as far as I know there's no way to monitor the standby frequency, as on some other radios, without switching it to 'active'.

The full operator's manual is available for download from the TKM website.

That TKM is good. I have been using one in my 172 for a long time. I took the rest of the outdated stuff out and put in a Garmin 696. looks and works great!panel 172.jpg

I have had nothing but trouble with my TKM MX170C. It has been to the factory four times to fix the com reciever. It will stop receiving but will transmit and also picks up FM radio. On the second time to the factory I decided to rewire the connections with new wire and an antenna. It came back the same way even thought they said they replace the com reciever. To make sure it was not my plane we put it in another plane that had a TKM and it behaved the same way. After the fourth time it was sent to the factory it still dos not work properly.

It sits in the plane for a backup radio till I decided what to upgrade the plane with. Each time I sent the radio into the factory the turn around time was three to four months since they were so back up with warranty work. The warranty time on that radio was mostly spent in the factory repair department.

I know it's big dollars, but bite the bullet and look at a Garmin GNC-255A. It will last nearly for ever and have much clearer communications. For me, a rock solid radio is paramount.

Next 3 posts are the Garmin haters, or guys who bought a used 170B on eBay without issues...

I know it's big dollars, but bite the bullet and look at a Garmin GNC-255A. It will last nearly for ever and have much clearer communications. For me, a rock solid radio is paramount.

Next 3 posts are the Garmin haters, or guys who bought a used 170B on eBay without issues...
I agree Garmin 255A is a great radio. Do not buy the TKM.

+1 on the GNC255.
GNC255 Nav/Com unit costs 4500 + $1500 for GI-106A CDI.

However if you can go without the NAV, the GTR225 is $1500 total cost and is an excellent radio.

Back