Looking to rent/get checkout Cherokee Six DFW

Stryker1112

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Stryker
Im getting back into flying after 20 years, almost completed my extended BFR. Already have complex and high performance endorsements. Want to get a Cherokee Six checkoff and then have one available for rent to take to SAT for the weekends. Anyone know any leads? Thanks

I have a Cherokee six, I love it, no mountains in Fl, so a 260 hp is ok here.

If you have mountains get a 300 hp, better clime with load. I have put about 700 hours on my six since I go it, but I would never rent it out. No one takes care of a plane like the owner.

As far as the check out, the Six is a flying brick, you must land with some power on, kinda fly it onto the runway, if you pull it back power just before wheels down, it will drop like a rock. I know you won't believe me until you land one time pulling all power off and drop onto the runway hard.

I paid 68 K for my six, put 60 K back into it, never get my money out of it, but updated avionics, new auto Pilot, paint, leather, strobes etc,, nice ride just for me. Good choice with a six, will carry a load, still popular for families with lots of kids, solid aircraft.

Thanks for the review. I have 3 kids so its this or a A36 I figure. It seems a solid plane and will get me DFW to San Antonio in about 1 1/2 hours, which beats 5 hours with Austin traffic.....

Ive read its a docile airplane, and Im glad you agree as I dont like drama....and fixed gear so if I ever decide to buy a plane insurance will be more reasonable

Thanks for the review. I have 3 kids so its this or a A36 I figure. It seems a solid plane and will get me DFW to San Antonio in about 1 1/2 hours, which beats 5 hours with Austin traffic.....

Ive read its a docile airplane, and Im glad you agree as I dont like drama....and fixed gear so if I ever decide to buy a plane insurance will be more reasonable

I fly an turbo-normalized A36 for my company, but rented a Six 300 for a vacation over spring break this year. The Six is a GREAT airplane...as long as you don't spend any time in a Bo first! Same fuel burn, just 30-40 kts slower.

If money were no object I'd look harder at the Bo, but for my use I can't justify it.

That looks like nice bird! I must be one of the small minority but I flew a F33 prior to buying my Saratoga II TC, I was surprised how cramped it seemed.

The Cherokee six was my first plane after getting my ppl. Easy to fly especially if you have driven a bus before! I agree with the flying brick. Mine was a 69 and would drop like a rock when power was pulled back. My toga is just as easy to fly and climbs like bat out of hell!

Metro Flyers based at Denton has a V35 Bo that is about to get an extensive panel upgrade. We are installing an Aspen single tube, GTN750 and a few other goodies. www.metroflyersclub.com

If you are interested in buying a nicely appointed Cherokee Six 260 get in touch with me. A friend has one for sale. Aspen PFD, Garmin 530 & more.

Back