Looking to buy into 172XP

GauzeGuy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GauzeGuy
I've been eyeballing this on craigslist for a bit, looks like a nice plane but I'm looking for any words on wisdom on whether this would be a good one to buy into or if I should keep looking.

FWIW, main use would be mostly solo VFR XC but IFR capabilities are a must since I'm working that as well...

http://denver.craigslist.org/for/3581585887.html

It looks like a good plane and the cruise numbers are about right.
The $70/hr dry rate includes the basics. Need to see where the engine fund is for overhaul. It's about 3/4 of the way through TBO based on 2000hrs, so 3/4 of $25K to $30K should be in the fund. Does that $70/hr dry rate add to the fund or are they going to hit you up for 10% or 40% of the engine overhaul?

Get a mechanic not associated with the flying club or airplane to complete a pre buy inspection at your cost.

I fly a T-41B, a 60s Army version with a 210 HP before Cessna offered the HawkXP. The original HawkXP was 195 HP for takeoff and then you had to reduce power to 180HP? You said this was modded to a full 210 HP, so that is a plus. I flight plan 125KTAS and 10gph, and normally get better than 10.

I'm no expert on clubs, but I find it interesting that they will sell 10 or 40 percent shares (or presumably something in the middle of that too). I wonder what benefits having a larger share brings - do they limit the amount of time you can reserve the plane based on your share size? Or does that just change the amount you get back if/when the plane is sold?

Price is better than I can rent for, so I'd do it in a heart beat if the maintenance fund was adequately stocked and the plane checked out.

Ninja edit: 210 HP, do you already have your HP, or will they let you use this plane with your choice of CFI to get it?

Price is better than I can rent for, so I'd do it in a heart beat if the maintenance fund was adequately stocked and the plane checked out.

You can't rent a 172 wet for less than $115 to $120/hour? Pretty easy to do that around Denver.

You can't rent a 172 wet for less than $115 to $120/hour? Pretty easy to do that around Denver.

That was a thought I had. Depending fuel costs it would end up being $120ish per hour. If it was tach time rather than Hobbs that could help. The other thing I like is the larger engine. And working radios, GPS, and other cool things rentals don't tend to have... Just trying to figure out if it is worth the cost...

XP is a nice airplane, and the extra hp is great for CO. I learned in one 35 years ago.

That was a thought I had. Depending fuel costs it would end up being $120ish per hour. If it was tach time rather than Hobbs that could help. The other thing I like is the larger engine. And working radios, GPS, and other cool things rentals don't tend to have... Just trying to figure out if it is worth the cost...

For 70 an hour dry we can talk a non-equity deal on the Frankenkota...

Not one with the bells and whistles this one has.

I wasn't looking at it as much as a 172, as I was looking at it as a 210HP plane.

Around me, a 172SP with 180HP and a 430W is $155. A 160HP with 430 is $135. These are the prices at the nearest FBO with more than 1 plane. There's a few really small airports with 1 or 2 planes for rent at the $115 price point, but they're not going to be in anywhere near the condition this one is.

Though prices are SO regionally variable, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot what I think. :D

Back