Looking To Buy A Plane

Tucker Siddoway

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tuckdoway
I'm looking to buy a plane. The market is red hot right now. Its blowing my mind at how much cessna 150's and 172's are going for right now. Will the market for aircraft slow down??

Probably not. Supply is steadily decreasing as planes are crashed and left to rot while demand is increasing and pilot population is increasing. With any luck manufacturers will start to make planes at a higher rate and will drive pricing down on new planes, spurring the sales of more new planes until we once again have a ton of planes around... but no telling if that could ever happen.

Is pilot population increasing?

Coke vs Pepsi, Chevy vs Ford, Cessna vs Piper (high/low wing). All you’re gonna get is opinions.

Yes, the market for airplanes will slow down.
No, the market for airplanes won’t slow down.

How about a real “nobody knows”.

My bet: Airplane, housing, and used car prices will decrease as interest rates go back up.

All markets will change - that’s an immutable economic law. The problem is when, what direction and by how much. When I bought my Tiger in 2015, the plane market was in some kind of lull, even though the economy was decent. Since that time, prices have done nothing but go up. My guess is the rate of rise in pricing will slow if interest rates pick up but from what I read, interest rates will probably remain close to the same through mid 2022. Of course, the current rate of inflation may not be temporary as the economic experts claim and if that is the case, interest rates will rise more quickly and markets will slow. So, who knows. If OP is worried about over-paying, wait 6 months and see what happens to prices.

My recommendation is try to find something local. Something that hasn't been on the market yet if you can. Network. The best prices I have seen on airplanes are found that way. Someone who knows someone who is selling.

Also asking price isn't selling price.

Life is too short too think about these things, if you want to buy it now and afford it, do it. If you are thinking of buying now and then regretting because the price will / May / should come down in 6/12/18 months - well, I can assure you as an airplane owner, you will always have something to regret/ sulk/ moan over

Its blowing my mind at how much cessna 150's and 172's are going for right now.

The prices are higher than a lot of us are used to, but try getting a new GPS radio installed and see what that costs you. Or even a simple paint job. Or, heaven forbid, an engine overhaul (done right). It is pretty easy to spend quite a bit of money on an airplane, so I can understand folks wanting to get a little of that back when they sell.

Back