Looking to buy a car...

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
I have been reluctantly talked in to getting a car for my daughter in college.

We are looking for something well used, probably in the 100,000 mile range, probably Japanese, definitely front wheel drive or 4WD. (This car must navigate Chicago winters...) Proximity to Chicago is a plus but not necessary. A Subaru Wagon would be ideal. We are planning on buying where is, as is, and (depending on the car) I will probably redo the front end, tires, brakes, etc - safety items as necessary.

I am very reluctant to buy such a car without a reliable glimpse into the car's history... that's where you guys come in. I won't go to Craig's List or similar. Dealers/used car lots as a last resort.

So who might have, or know of, such a car for sale?

Thanks in advance. Comments on what to get are also welcome. PM me to start the negotiations, or post here.

-Skip

A Subaru Wagon would be ideal.
I have a Subaru Wagon but it's not for sale. :no:

Well, not unless I get a great price for it. :)

Seems like it would be a good car for a college student. It works great in the snow unless you high-center it. Ask me how I know. I have the small engine so it gets pretty good mileage for a AWD, about 28 mpg. However, it can be a little gutless at these altitudes but you probably don't want your daughter driving a hot-rod anyway. ;)

You're making the right choice in cars - a Subie will do very well in the conditions you mention. It's AWD is great in light snow or plowed roads, but it's light enough that you won't be tempted (more than once) to try braving 16" of it. Perfect for a young person.
I'd suggest the Forester - lots of cubic, not a lot of power, great in accidents. The boxer engine if treated correctly lasts forever - just be sure to replace the timing belt and seals every 80-100,000 miles and give it regular oil changes.

I'd sell you mine, but I like it too much.

I found my minivan using cars.com

My advice is set the area to search out to 75-100 miles or so. Once I made it more than 50 miles I found the van in Milwaukee with in great shape, newly repaired, less miles, great history and $1500 less than used car dealers in Chicago had 'em advertised. The guy who sold it to me said they can't get anywhere near the same prices in Wisconsin as we pay around Chicago. It occurred to me that a smart operator could make some dough just doing car arbitrage.

For the history I sprang for the $29(?) for a month of Carfax service. I figured that was a good investment. I knew before I saw it that my van had been sold and had lived in the Chicago suburbs before moving to Milwaukee. If it had been IN Chicago that wouldn't have been a plus.

So far the only gripes I have with the van are left headlight alignment and the windshield washer nozzles, and the nozzles may be about as good as the stock ever was.

OK. I had to jump it to start it last night. But it had been cold soaking at a windy 4 degrees at the airport for over 2 weeks. I got good use of that portable battery/inflator/inverter I bought at Costco.

Good luck!

I've got a deal for you. I just happen to have listed my car for sale three days ago. You can have my 1998 Nissan Pulsar for $4000. It's a great car, in great shape and only has 65,000 miles. Best car I've ever had.

You said where is, as is, right? So you can pick it up here? In Auckland? Is right hand drive ok?:)

Chris

I've got a deal for you. I just happen to have listed my car for sale three days ago. You can have my 1998 Nissan Pulsar for $4000. It's a great car, in great shape and only has 65,000 miles. Best car I've ever had.

You said where is, as is, right? So you can pick it up here? In Auckland? Is right hand drive ok?:)

Chris
Yes, right hand drive is just fine. My daughter is right handed. :D

I thank one and all - even Chris - for responding. I think we have a deal on a car in a more accessible location.

-Skip

Thanks for pointing that out William. I should have added....that we can buy. Or at least I can buy. A Hondajet or probably any other jet except maybe a Fouga and that would be a stretch ain't in my future, unfortunately. :(

A little trivia. Which Japanese automaker has produced a light piston single for the GA market?

Can't beat that advice wth a stick. Ken's right. Wish they made airplanes.

15 years ago Toyota had a nail polish Revlon Red Aztec at LGB which was their test bed for their aviation engine. They scrapped the project because they couldn't beat the efficiency or reliability of the Lycoming IO 540...:dunno:

Thanks for pointing that out William. I should have added....that we can buy. Or at least I can buy. A Hondajet or probably any other jet except maybe a Fouga and that would be a stretch ain't in my future, unfortunately. :(

A little trivia. Which Japanese automaker has produced a light piston single for the GA market?

One comment... 180GPH...nuff said....

I have an S10 extended cab with 4WD and 94000 miles. Had a heavy duty transmission but in a few thousand ago. We get almost 300,000 on that 4.3L engine in our company vans.

What are you looking to spend?

Back