Looking to build cross country time

ATC_av8er

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ATC_av8er
Denver based, looking to build some x-country time. Looking at SAF, RAP, CPR, CDR, GUR, among many others. Piper Archer is my plane of choice. anyone have any info on any of the above airports or anyplace else of similar distance (approx. 350 miles)? I don't have any mountain training, but am not opposed to flying into airports like JAC, povided there is a safe way to circument the big, jagged rocks.

Denver based, looking to build some x-country time. Looking at SAF, RAP, CPR, CDR, GUR, among many others. Piper Archer is my plane of choice. anyone have any info on any of the above airports or anyplace else of similar distance (approx. 350 miles)? I don't have any mountain training, but am not opposed to flying into airports like JAC, povided there is a safe way to circument the big, jagged rocks.
RAP is easy, no hills. SAF- take the southern route past Trinidad, head to TAFOY intersection. Turn right into SAF or turn left into ABQ. JAC is not all that welcoming to spam cans. West Yellowstone is better and only about 15 min. more, if that. HUT is a boring flight, as is most anything east, but there's a great space museum there. Same flatland for CDR. Gurnsey can be a problem due to the army base and R just north, plus there's not much else there. Go to Wheatland instead.

CPR is not a problem. Altitude but no hills, almost a straight line.

Blatant plug: The Colorado Pilots Assoc. High Altitude/Mountain flying ground school is later this month. Go to thr CPA website for details and sign up.

KSPF Spearfish SD not far from Deadwood SD grass and paved rwys. Custer State Park Airport 3V0 go camping fly over Mt Rushmore.

Back