Looking into PPL

SuperDecathlon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Casey
I'm 32 years old and grew up flying with my grandpa. I have fond memories of doing rolls, loops, hammer heads, and just flying around. He passed just over a year ago and I realize how much I took it for granted flying around with him. He was very knowledgeable and skilled pilot he did aerobatics, building some of his planes, and I always felt safe. I miss flying around and have decided to look into getting my own pilots license. Unfortunately I didn't take advantage of my grandpa's knowledge when he was alive so other than having flown with him a lot and on occasion taking the controls a little I am very new to this and will have many questions. Figured this would be the place to get established and ask some questions as I progress.

So first question, I know I only need my 3rd class medical, but why not getting 2nd or 1st class? I am in good health and have perfect vision, assuming my insurance will pay for my physical why not get 1st or 2nd class if I'm going to the doctor anyway?

Any helpful tips before I start are greatly appreciated.

My understanding is that the exams dig deeper as you get into the "higher" ones. Since you only need a 3rd class to become a private pilot, what's the reason to get a 1st or 2nd? If you want a more detailed checkup, you can do that separately with your doc, without opening yourself up to more detailed testing in order to fly.

Plus, the 1st and 2nd class medicals expire sooner. They do "step down" after they expire (1st becomes 2nd after 6 months, 2nd becomes 3rd after... a year?), but any perceived benefits from the tougher medicals will be short lived. So you'll have to decide whether you want to take the exams more often or if you'll let your 1st class medical transform down to a 3rd class.

Essentially, without a reason to do otherwise, my (non-expert) opinion would be to get the lowest level required for the flying you intend to do.

NO reason for higher than 3rd class medical unless you are looking to eventually being paid to fly. And I would be surprised if your insurance covers an FAA medical exam.

I've had two 3rd class medicals... neither of them were covered by insurance (two separate health plans, both of which were very good). I was able to pay with my flex benefits card though. The reason is this physical is elective, and insurance companies aren't interested in paying for things that are required, much less elective.

At age 32, there are few differences between the three levels of medical, but as you get older, the First Class in particular starts requiring things like an EKG every year. Also, the corrected vision standards for Second/First are higher than Third (20/20 versus 20/40), which eliminates some folks with unusual eye problems. In addition, AME's often charge more for the higher classes. Finally, not all AME's are designated to give First Class medicals. So, if you don't need a Second Class or higher, it's usually easier and cheaper to just go Third.

My understanding is that the exams dig deeper as you get into the "higher" ones. Since you only need a 3rd class to become a private pilot, what's the reason to get a 1st or 2nd? If you want a more detailed checkup, you can do that separately with your doc, without opening yourself up to more detailed testing in order to fly.

Plus, the 1st and 2nd class medicals expire sooner. They do "step down" after they expire (1st becomes 2nd after 6 months, 2nd becomes 3rd after... a year?), but any perceived benefits from the tougher medicals will be short lived. So you'll have to decide whether you want to take the exams more often or if you'll let your 1st class medical transform down to a 3rd class.

Essentially, without a reason to do otherwise, my (non-expert) opinion would be to get the lowest level required for the flying you intend to do.

Just some icing on the cake: If you ask the doc for a first- or second-class physical and for some medical reason it is denied, from that point forward you will be required to answer "yes" to the question "Have you ever had an airman physical denied?" It is not possible to backtrack and apply for a third-class physical at that point.

Bob Gardner

Just some icing on the cake: If you ask the doc for a first- or second-class physical and for some medical reason it is denied, from that point forward you will be required to answer "yes" to the question "Have you ever had an airman physical denied?" It is not possible to backtrack and apply for a third-class physical at that point.

Bob Gardner

Thanks everyone. This was the most persuading reply, I don't need anything higher than 3rd class at this point in time. I don't need to have any flaws on my flight record before I even start flying, if I was unable to pass 1st or 2nd class. Just 3rd class for now.

Casey Bond

The only reason I figured I'd look into it was because I didn't see any down side. Also I wouldn't mind flying commercially further down the line. Granted much farther down the line. I didn't know they expired so soon, really not worth it to have 1st or 2nd class just for my training then having to renew it before I have even needed anything higher than 3rd class. I guess I'll look into later on, makes no sense for me to get anything higher than 3rd class.

What was the upside though Casey?

Thanks everyone. This was the most persuading reply, I don't need anything higher than 3rd class at this point in time. I don't need to have any flaws on my flight record before I even start flying, if I was unable to pass 1st or 2nd class. Just 3rd class for now.

Casey Bond

Bob's replies generally are.....he has written some good books as well. If you are looking to get your PPL, his Complete Private Pilot is a good one. Helped me when I got back into flying. Good luck.

What was the upside though Casey?

Like I said I didn't know they expired so soon, 6 months isn't a long time. I also didn't see any difference at my age other than vision the yearly EKG wouldn't be until I was older. I just figured I'd have it if an opportunity presented itself. I have family friends that own businesses that I could work for in the future if I become skilled enough. I know I am putting the cart before the horse, but if it was something I could hold onto a little longer than 6 months and after having it made it less of a hassle renewing I was thinking why not. I just want to make sure I don't have too many "wish I would have done that instead" moments during the process. I'd rather be over prepared. Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, but I just want to make sure I am making the best decisions. I am sure it won't be my last dumb question either. :idea:

Download the free 70-page .pdf from www.FreeFlyBook.com. It will answer just about any question you might have. Plus, it is a primer for the aeronautical knowledge you must learn. There's no sign-up required and you don't have to supply your email address. Just click it and grab it.

Like I said I didn't know they expired so soon, 6 months isn't a long time. I also didn't see any difference at my age other than vision the yearly EKG wouldn't be until I was older. I just figured I'd have it if an opportunity presented itself. I have family friends that own businesses that I could work for in the future if I become skilled enough. I know I am putting the cart before the horse, but if it was something I could hold onto a little longer than 6 months and after having it made it less of a hassle renewing I was thinking why not. I just want to make sure I don't have too many "wish I would have done that instead" moments during the process. I'd rather be over prepared. Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, but I just want to make sure I am making the best decisions. I am sure it won't be my last dumb question either. :idea:

Normally the only reason to get one early, is if you are going at it from a career perspective. Some college programs will want you to have it when you enroll, just so you know you can actually get it (on that particular day)...

Remember that a 1st or 2nd class doesn't just expire, it downgrades to lower privileges. So 6 months on a 1st, then you get another 6 months to use 2nd, then 4 more years of 3rd class privileges. (If you are < 40)

Back