Looking forward to this checkout!

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
Looking forward to these checkouts!

It's always been irritating to get checked out for a rental in something I know pretty well, which I've had to do a few times when on the road. But my next few flights should be a bit more interesting (although not as interesting as learning to drag my tail in the Champ back in September)... I'm booked for some dual in a J-3 at Andover next weekend!
They pretty much only rent it for dual, with the occasional solo for students doing their entire rating in the Cub (I assume Sport), but that's OK... I may continue with them later this year, doing the advanced "bush" course in their Top Cub, and maybe even some work on skis.

There will be plenty of rust to knock off (haven't flown since October), but I'm sure I will have fun. At least I know that airport pretty well, having landed 172s there a few times. And these guys have a stellar reputation.

http://www.andoverflight.com/

I've also found a Cessna 140 for rent, and it just happens to be located where I will be working quite a bit in February and March!!

Apparently they will even let me take the 140 solo out of the pattern if I handle it properly... woohoo!!

I'm looking forward to this, as I'm thinking about buying a 140. Good opportunity to see if I really like them.

Wish me luck!

http://www.poplargroveairmotive.com/Flight_Training/rentals.html

Last edited:
you will love poplar grove. its in my top 5 favorite airports ever. the J3 and 140 are available for solo there, which is super cool. 140's are sweet flying airplanes, spring steel will be a bit different from the shock absorbers on the champ that you are used to. the community there is great!

Roger that, Tony... I actually forgot that my next flight will be in a J-3, at Andover next weekend... only the prospect of getting my hands on a 140 could make me forget about that- LOL!!

Are you familiar with the 140 at Poplar Grove?

If you're going to be in the area, we'll have to do a get-together!

I haven't flown at Poplar Grove, but it might be neat going to them for the tailwheel endorsement. I think the 140 might have a payload capable of supporting me! (The Champ we have really doesn't). If you rent there, let us know what you think!

Roger that, Tony... I actually forgot that my next flight will be in a J-3, at Andover next weekend... only the prospect of getting my hands on a 140 could make me forget about that- LOL!!

Are you familiar with the 140 at Poplar Grove?

I've never flown the 140 at Poplar Grove, but my girlfriend did. I did spend an hour with a CFI in their J3 and saw nothing that alarmed me. I was based there for weeks doing photo work and the whole operation seemed very good.

have you used the forums at www.cessna120-140.com ? The president of the Cessna 120-140 association is based at Poplar Grove I think and should be able to give you some insight.

If you're going to be in the area, we'll have to do a get-together!

I haven't flown at Poplar Grove, but it might be neat going to them for the tailwheel endorsement. I think the 140 might have a payload capable of supporting me! (The Champ we have really doesn't). If you rent there, let us know what you think!

Grant - might be a tight squeeze for you but worth checking out. Not really much more elbow room than a 150, and probably not a lot more useful load either.

Grant - might be a tight squeeze for you but worth checking out. Not really much more elbow room than a 150, and probably not a lot more useful load either.
Never flown anything smaller than a 160HP 172, so it's questionable.

The only thing that I have run into at Poplar Grove WRT the 140 was that I inquired about getting my tail wheel endorsement. They came back and told me 10 hours of tailwheel instruction before I would be allowed to rent their tail wheel aircraft. I then asked what is the typical time to get the endorsement and that I had no interest in renting the plane other than for endorsement. That is when they decided to not answer me any more. I was not prepared to pay $1200 for a tailwheel endorsement, which is what the 140+CFI for 10 hours would have cost me.

A friend and I then seriously looked into buying a 140 and to put it on lease back at 3CK. That is when we realized the usefull load was pretty small and that not too many 2 people flights would be possible.

The only thing that I have run into at Poplar Grove WRT the 140 was that I inquired about getting my tail wheel endorsement. They came back and told me 10 hours of tailwheel instruction before I would be allowed to rent their tail wheel aircraft. I then asked what is the typical time to get the endorsement and that I had no interest in renting the plane other than for endorsement. That is when they decided to not answer me any more. I was not prepared to pay $1200 for a tailwheel endorsement, which is what the 140+CFI for 10 hours would have cost me.

A friend and I then seriously looked into buying a 140 and to put it on lease back at 3CK. That is when we realized the usefull load was pretty small and that not too many 2 people flights would be possible.

This is not atypical. I'm assuming they meant "ten hours before you solo"... if so, that sounds familiar. Ten hrs dual was required on the Champ at KSDM only because of insurance terms (my non-owners insurance doesn't cover the hull).

The plane was $55/hr wet, but my CFI cost $40/hr. About a grand by the time I got signed off (@11 hours), but worth it for racking up another 16 hrs at only $55/hr. :D And the BFR got bundled in there, too.

Flew the heck out of that 7AC, including my only "legal" XC time for the entire year. Gotta take advantage of good wx and cheap rates!

I know it seems like a bum deal, but it isn't... any classic taildragger that is available at all for solo rental (other than a hop in the pattern, or maybe for students going from zero hrs to the PP or SP) is hard to find nowadays. In my area there are none that I know of!

Even if I weren't planning to buy a 140, I'd still say the tailwheel training has a value that supersedes the actual cost... it's improved my basic airmanship by keeping me inspired (fun!) and challenged (different from all those trikes I've flown) at the same time. Hard to put a price tag on something that helps you mature and evolve as a pilot.

It is odd, though, that they seemed to lose interest after you said you only wanted the endorsement... money is money, ain't it?

Last edited:
Flew the heck out of that 7AC, including my only "legal" XC time for the entire year. Gotta take advantage of good wx and cheap rates!
Ah, the good ol' days...used to rent a 7AC for $22.50 an hour...not exceptionally cheap at the time, but it was a TACH hour...an hour and a half of takeoffs and landings for about 15 bucks :)

Fly safe!

David

I then asked what is the typical time to get the endorsement and that I had no interest in renting the plane other than for endorsement. That is when they decided to not answer me any more. I was not prepared to pay $1200 for a tailwheel endorsement, which is what the 140+CFI for 10 hours would have cost me.
Why not ask that question here? I would guess that you might expect about 10 hours anyway.

Just a tip, but when people get their back up about training requirements, some clubs and special interest groups just don't want to have anything to do with you any more. Wonder why that is?

Back