Looking for Video "Documentary" of Wake Turbulence

Erice

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Erice
I've lost track of an online video, and I'm hoping someone here can point me to it. The clip features "Boston John" standing by a runway commenting on jets as they go by on departure. It was shot from a taxiway or some location close to the runway (on the field) at JFK. At least I think it is JFK, but that may not be right, since John is a tower controller at BOS. He is wearing a baseball cap (just trying to throw in some details I remember--hopefully it will trigger someone else's recollection of this clip).

It is shot on a rainy, misty day. The video shows some really great examples of wingtip vortices that can be seen in the mist as the wing starts generating lift. The clip lasts less than ten minutes.

I thought I had it bookmarked, but now I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know where I can find this video?

Thanks, Trapper. That was a good clip, probably better than the one I was thinking of to show wingtip vortices. But you actually led me to the original video I was looking for! Down at the bottom of the post, it lists "similar threads" on the POA board, and there it was. The link in the original POA post led to a site that no longer exists, but Google led me to This link on LiveATC.net the forums.

It is called "Near Miss." I was right about a lot of the details, except for the controller's name. It was not Boston John, but Dave Schoen. The rest was pretty close!

There is one on YouTube that shows the effect of jet blast from only two 747 engines on a car being pulled behind the airplane. It makes you a believer in separation! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ5ZGV3Vxo8&NR=1

CSOBeech.com has some good video links, too.

I am collecting these little clips for showing at a ground school class I am helping with at our high school. So if anyone has more to share, please do!

Last edited:
Thanks, Trapper. That was a good clip, probably better than the one I was thinking of to show wingtip vortices. But you actually led me to the original video I was looking for! Down at the bottom of the post, it lists "similar threads" on the POA board, and there it was. The link in the original POA post led to a site that no longer exists, but Google led me to This link on LiveATC.net the forums.

It is called "Near Miss." I was right about a lot of the details, except for the controller's name. It was not Boston John, but Dave Schoen. The rest was pretty close!
I couldn't find valid links on either of those sites. Jason, you posted on both of them, do you know where to find that "Near Miss" video now?

I have them saved on my computer. Shoot me a PM and I can send them to you via email. The video clip features Dave S, who is now a retired JFK tower controller.

Best,
Jason

I couldn't find valid links on either of those sites. Jason, you posted on both of them, do you know where to find that "Near Miss" video now?

You have to be logged in to LiveATC.net (free) to hear/see the clips. The "Near Miss" clip is still there as a .WMV file, at the bottom of the very first post of that thread.

Back