Looking for the owner of a certain Cessna

Jon Wilder

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jwylde
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and am an inactive student pilot at the moment. However, I've come here in hopes of locating the owner of a specific Cessna.

The Cessna in question is a 1967 Cessna 182K, tail number N2600R. My grandfather was the original owner of this plane and I think he ended up selling it in '71 or '72. While my grandfather owned the plane, my aunt was the pilot and she'd fly him around damn near everywhere...even flying it as far as Tennessee from California.

As this plane is part of my family history, I would like to get ahold of the owner and maybe see about getting some current pictures of it and/or even making the drive up there just to see it in the flesh. Also, my uncle just located some of the aircraft log books from back when we owned it among my aunt's belongings (not sure why these logs didn't go with the plane when the plane was sold). I plan to scan copies of the logs and hopefully get them to the current owner so that he has them.

Does anyone happen to know a James L Cook out of Palo Cedro, CA? He is the current owner of this aircraft. Here is a picture of the plane from when my family owned it in case anyone here recognizes it.

12095189_695334403901648_314610161227661655_o.png

Last edited:
WWW.FAA.GOV
N number lookup, it has all the info you are looking for there. I just looked and it's there but I'm not going to post it.

Edit, should have read all the OP, you already have that info, sorry.

Last edited:
PM sent with a PO box number for him.

I'd like to make an update to this thread.

As it turns out, the aircraft changed hands to a guy local to me in 2018-2019. Ended up meeting him and have actually gone down to see the plane for the very first time in my life (grandma had pictures of this plane on her mantle when I was growing up and had many a story to tell about it, but grandpa had long sold the plane years before I was born). He's restoring it and I will hopefully be involved in doing the avionics work on her.

She's still in great shape after all these years. Very low airframe time considering the model year (only about 3,000 hours).

This photo was the photo on my grandmother's mantle when I was growing up.

12095189_695334403901648_314610161227661655_o.jpg

Following are the photos I took of her when I went to see her. The pilot is also a certificated mechanic and was cleaning up the spark plugs while I was there, hence why the cowl is off.

FB_IMG_1552798787708.jpg FB_IMG_1552798794788.jpg FB_IMG_1552798817701.jpg FB_IMG_1552798825798.jpg FB_IMG_1552798835314.jpg FB_IMG_1552798850064.jpg

I tried to find the Taylorcraft that my father got his pilot certificate in, but it was decommissioned, which probably means someone crashed it. That's all I could find out. I was kind of hoping it was the same one I got my ASES rating in, but it wasn't.

Glad you guys all liked the pics. Yes he was very pleased to get the missing logs. These logs were, after all, the first 300 hours that were put on this aircraft.

So the story goes...my grandfather was a 2nd generation saw filer working in the saw mills. In 1948, he started his own saw blade manufacturing and sharpening business. Years later, he talked my aunt into getting her private pilot certificate and he would pay for her lessons. The plan was for him to buy a business plane and have her fly him around on business trips.

She got her certificate in 1967, right after she'd just turned 19. He purchased a used Cessna 172E and she flew him around in that. Shortly after, he decided he wanted a faster plane that could get up to altitude quicker. So he sold the 172 (through research, I learned that the 172 was crashed in the Sea of Cortez after an engine out on takeoff sometime in 1981) and purchased this Cessna 182K model brand new.

She flew him around in the 182 all kinds of places...even as far east as Virginia from California.

Upon meeting the man that she was to marry, she lost interest in flying and he ended up selling the airplane. This was around 1972 I believe. He passed away in 1974 due to lung cancer, 5 years before I was born.

Growing up and being at grandma's, I would always see the picture of this plane and it always stuck in my head. I'd hoped to find it and have it flown down to where my aunt lives for her to see it before she passed in 2011. Sadly, that was not to be.

However, her late husband is still alive and very much interested in seeing this aircraft. As I am now friends with the current owner, once he's finished restoring it and has it airworthy again, we're planning to fly it down to him so that him and my cousins can see the plane.

Sweet! Super cool that it still has the original paint!

Most of it is original. Someone striped the wheel pants and added underbelly paint at some point in its life. Surprisingly, the plane has very low time for its age...around 3,000 hours I believe.

The blue underbelly paint might be original - that was part of the 1967 factory paint scheme.

View attachment 102762

Ah I see. Doesn't show up in my grandma's original picture, but then again that picture was taken when the plane was brand new. From the angle it was shot at, cameras from that era may not have caught it.

Back