Looking for the best stops between...

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
1F4 in Oklahoma and KHZY in Ohio. Will be ferrying an RV with a client who just purchased the plane and am looking for good stops for fuel, etc...

Leaving early in the morning, so make it quick!

Ryan

1F4 in Oklahoma and KHZY in Ohio. Will be ferrying an RV with a client who just purchased the plane and am looking for good stops for fuel, etc...

Leaving early in the morning, so make it quick!

Ryan

Looks like a 900nm-ish trip - So, what, 1 stop at ~450 or 2 stops at ~300 and ~600...

Lessee. Halfway puts you right smack in the middle of... Southern Illinois, somewhere around KMVN. I got nothin' there.

With two stops... Well, you'll be going right near Gaston's (3M0), where they do have fuel and a restaurant on the field. No idea what the turf is like this time of year, though, and the fuel generally isn't cheap (a 2-minute hop to BPK will get you some reasonably priced self-serve, though)... And there's the restaurant service, which sometimes rivals the French in speed (or, rather, lack thereof.)

Now, Sikeston (KSIK) would only add a total of 8nm to the trip and it'd be 391nm in. There, you call for the van from Lambert's Cafe and you get a unique dining experience. The sign on the wall is true: "If you leave here hungry, it ain't our fault." Fuel is usually pretty cheap there, too.

Muncie, IN (KMIE) is right along the route, there's a restaurant on the field there. I haven't been to it yet (I've only been to the former restaurant there, which was really nice) but I hear it's good.

Fuel prices, according to ForeFlight and AirNav:
3M0: $5.94
KBPK: Can't find prices for the self-serve from either source. :dunno:
KSIK: $5.59
KMIE: $5.66

If you want to get cheaper fuel and you don't mind making your stops to fuel the people separate from those to fuel the airplane, you might want to try these:

KSLG $4.59
KTBN $4.65
KTKX $4.29
3I3 $4.97

Have a safe and enjoyable flight! :thumbsup:

Made it to Springfield, MO before we stopped for the evening...

Ryan

World's slowest RV? :dunno: Or did you make it to Ohio, and back to Springfield?
No, flew up with my ferry friend to DAL, then to 1F4 where we did a fairly good pre-buy on the aircraft, and the new owner decided to have me test-fly the bird first. By the time all was said and done, we were only able to get to SGF by the first evening. Yesterday morning the weather was not conducive to travel and we were stuck until after lunchtime. Made good time after that and got the plane home last evening.

Turns out we couldn't make any of those stops. Thanks anyway for the suggestions everyone!

Our route eventually was: 1F4 - MLC - SGF - JEF - FWA - HZY. The weather was less than ideal, but we made good time once the ceilings were OK. Picked up a little icing at one point after JEF, but got out of it quickly and had nice weather once we got to FWA.

Ryan

On Feb 7th I tried to get home VFR from Lubbock to KSIK with my new-to-me Cardinal. Got pinned down in Altus Oklahoma for 3 days with only one change of cloths! So I know exactly the weather you were dealing with....nice LOW ceilings!

Back