Looking for testers for a new online logbook

Wayne B

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Wayne
I’m looking for some pilots to test a new online pilot logbook.

Logbook.aero (https://www.logbook.aero) was launched in the UK six months ago, as a modern cloud-based alternative to the existing logbooks. Slowly, I’ve been getting a small number of US pilots signing up, but the website was previously geared to the European market. I’ve finally made it US-compatible, but would like some more US pilots to test it and suggest improvements or new features. Testers will get free access, so there’s no charge.

It combines a logbook with a digital scrapbook – you can upload GPS tracks, YouTube and Vimeo videos, documents, electronic signatures to each flight, and share the flights (and uploaded content) with friends either through your personal URL or on Facebook. Existing electronic logbooks can be imported, and CSV backup is available (manual and automated). And there’s some very powerful reporting available.

Logbook.aero is browser based, but it has a mobile-friendly layout for smartphones and tablets. And the design and technology of the website means it’s very fast.

If you’re interested in testing the website please send me a PM and I will get back to you with details of how to sign-up for a testing account for free. Remember… it’s free for beta testers!

Wayne

MichiPilot, PM sent with instructions. Thanks.

I'm never against looking at a new product for free!

Ok I'm game for trying this. Can you import a dump from myflightbook.com?

That's really my only requirement to get started

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm in. I've been a software developer for over 20 years so I will either be the best or worst beta tester ;)

Does it include the capability for instructors to electronically sign training and endorsements? Does it meet the FAA standards for electronic signatures outlined in AC 120-78, most importantly that signed entries such as training and endorsements cannot be changed after being signed?

PMs sent to everyone who has requested to try it.

airheadpenguin, importing from any spreadsheet or electronic logbook is available. I do some manually adjustments to make the file compatible for Logbook.aero. I have done imports from many different formats, and not come across that cannot be imported.

Ron, these are the sort of things I want to test on the website. Electronic signatures are available, if the pilot is using a touchscreen device. The instructor can sign on the screen, with comments and the instructor's name and CFI number. The signature and endorsement cannot be changed by pilots - they can only be deleted. If the instructor is also using Logbook.aero, their name and user details will be tied to the endorsement for audit purposes. The signature and endorsement are included on the printout of the logbook.

Last edited:
I'll beta test.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

PMs sent to everyone who has posted offering to test. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who has offered to test Logbook.aero. The response has been fantastic. Lots of changes have been made to the website based on feedback received in the last week.

If you are one of the testers please get in touch with any feedback - it's greatly appreciated!

Wayne got my logbook imported. I feel like I'm putting him through a lot, but I will say that the reports function helped me detect and correct a bunch of discrepancies.

Great work Wayne!

https://www.logbook.aero/ChrisK

Does it include the capability for instructors to electronically sign training and endorsements? Does it meet the FAA standards for electronic signatures outlined in AC 120-78, most importantly that signed entries such as training and endorsements cannot be changed after being signed?

Wow, I'd never heard of AC 120-78 before. I've been using my own spreadsheet logbook for more than a decade. It includes a column for scanned signatures. There's nothing to prevent data from being changed, and I've never requested FSDO permission for the e-logbook. But I've received new ratings and certificates with that logbook and the DPEs never raised any questions about it.

Wayne got my logbook imported. I feel like I'm putting him through a lot, but I will say that the reports function helped me detect and correct a bunch of discrepancies.

Great work Wayne!

https://www.logbook.aero/ChrisK

It's been no bother at all Chris, and thanks for your patience while I made changes to the website to reflect correct practices in the US.

In the last 10 days I have imported quite a few files for pilots, some of them from popular online or electronic logbooks. And it's surprising how many errors or discrepancies I've spotted due to either pilot error or a lack of checking by the originating website or app.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has requested to test Logbook.aero. PM's have been sent to everyone who has requested over the weekend.

I now have enough testers, so the beta test is now closed.

hI Wayne,
I have been using the log book. I came across a situation and wonder if you plan to add to the log book.

I was logging a training instrument flight and noticed there was no where to log a course track or holding. Something that we need to track for currency. Will this be added in a update?

I'm willing to give it a test ,if your still looking for testers.

hI Wayne,
I have been using the log book. I came across a situation and wonder if you plan to add to the log book.

I was logging a training instrument flight and noticed there was no where to log a course track or holding. Something that we need to track for currency. Will this be added in a update?

I've been doing that in the comments.

hI Wayne,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not familiar with FAA IR requirements. Please can you provide more information on what you would like to be added and I will work on it. For example, for holding do you just need a checkbox next to the instrument approach fields?

New features can be added easily and quickly:)

I have been around a generation longer than you fellas.
My log book does not show individual flights. It is filled in quarterly and lists merely the total hours for each category for that quarter - day/night/single/multi/ifr/etc. and a statement that I remain current to carry passengers.
I do keep a small notebook that I scribble personal notes into but that is not a 'logbook' and the FAA has no access to it.
Why? you might ask.
Simple: Long ago in a galaxy far away a fella on my airfield (at that time) got dinged by the FAA for flying too low and buzzing - license suspension for a year, 709 ride, etc. - Seems a low wing, white airplane was buzzing our small town - really dusting it off for about ten minutes. The FAA came out like a swarm of bees. This guy had a plane like that. His log showed a flight on that day.
BINGO - guilty.
To this day he swears to me that he departed to the West (airport is 3 miles west of town and he did not cross it) and did not "buzz" the town square. No Mas. He was declared guilty. Since then I have not shown a date of flight except for required items, biennial, etc.

Paranoid! you might say.
Ask Bob Hoover.

Now, I don't rent - you renters have different problems and my system will not work for you.
(parenthetical note: keep two logs)

I have been around a generation longer than you fellas.
My log book does not show individual flights. It is filled in quarterly and lists merely the total hours for each category for that quarter - day/night/single/multi/ifr/etc. and a statement that I remain current to carry passengers.
I do keep a small notebook that I scribble personal notes into but that is not a 'logbook' and the FAA has no access to it.
Why? you might ask.
Simple: Long ago in a galaxy far away a fella on my airfield (at that time) got dinged by the FAA for flying too low and buzzing - license suspension for a year, 709 ride, etc. - Seems a low wing, white airplane was buzzing our small town - really dusting it off for about ten minutes. The FAA came out like a swarm of bees. This guy had a plane like that. His log showed a flight on that day.
BINGO - guilty.
To this day he swears to me that he departed to the West (airport is 3 miles west of town and he did not cross it) and did not "buzz" the town square. No Mas. He was declared guilty. Since then I have not shown a date of flight except for required items, biennial, etc.

Paranoid! you might say.
Ask Bob Hoover.

Now, I don't rent - you renters have different problems and my system will not work for you.
(parenthetical note: keep two logs)

Yeah, that's paranoid. But then, again, just 'cuz you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you! :D

The reality is an event like that is highly unlikely in an era when 90% of the population is carrying a camera/videocam in their pocket all the time. Ten minutes of low buzzing would render a dozen or more good images from multiple sources to prove or disprove the allegation.

That said, I've always viewed my logbook as a personal diary of my aviation experiences and have enjoyed going back and reminiscing with friends over a long-forgotten flight that someone else vividly remembered.

Back