Looking for T-38 drivers,

Blatham489

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Latham
preferably one that flew tail number 91598. Need some panel photos to verify what gauges I'm missing. PM me if you're one or know of one.

Probably have better luck over at baseops.net forum

I flew -38's back in the day (91-92) and I have my -1 somewhere. My brother is a current -38 PIT IP down at Randolph. What's your question?

image.jpeg The question(s)

what gauges are missing? (The 1" hyd press lower left, and the two 2.25" below the alt and CDI have been located - chronic and press alt, landing gear goes to far left rectangle, got one of those)

Are all of these gauges backlit, how do I check bulbs? (Most appear sealed)

How can I find a map of the pin connectors so I can find the pin the lights the bulb and possibly energizes the reading? (Using the process of elimination with a loaded wire may cause problems)

Can I find a pilot that actually flew this plane as chase to an X-15?

Last edited:
Looks like a very early version T-38 panel. Configuration doesn't look like the panel pics that I've seen.

Right side has to be engine gauges. Either left & right RPM, nozzle % or fuel flow.

View attachment 45196 The question(s)

what gauges are missing? (The 1" hyd press lower left, and the two 2.25" below the alt and CDI have been located - chronic and press alt, landing gear goes to far left rectangle, got one of those)

How can I find a map of the pin connectors so I can find the pin the lights the bulb and possibly energizes the reading? (Using the process of elimination with a loaded wire may cause problems)

ADI needs to move left one, and altimeter goes to the right of it. I'll try to post a pic this afternoon.

It's not just analog T-38A vs glass T-38C. I'm looking at Story Musgraves's T-38 book and the panel does not look like the OPs. Larger AI and HSI. More instruments on both sides. Panel actually appears to be larger as well.

Like I said though, that right side has got to be engine gauges. I'd say you're missing a clock and AOA gauge on the left.

Last edited:
All I can go by is the early 1990's T-38's, because that's what I flew, but looking at your picture, things just aren't in quite the right place. Like someone mentioned above, the ADI was bigger and in the center. Below it was an HSI (you have a T-37 CDI in there). Flap gauge was by the left knee, etc. It looks like you put a lot of time into this, and it looks good, but will need some corrections if you want to make it right. Hopefully, this will help.

Attachments

• T38 Panels.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
... and it looks good, but will need some corrections if you want to make it right...

Don't know why, but I read the above as "will need some corrosion if you want to make it right" ... struck me as funny .... carry on.

View attachment 45196 The question(s)

Oxygen goes on a different panel by your knee. You need a second Tach another nozzle pos'n indicator, two fuel flow indicators, two oil pressure guages, and two fuel quantity indicators. Also, an 8 day clock, G-meter, and stand-by attitude indicator (peanut gyro).

They got you covered pretty good. Our layout was a little different except for the engine instruments and HSI, and larger ADI's and HSI's and a small SADI. Yeah, I think all the indicators are hermetically sealed and they are all internally lit. If all you want to do is light them up, I'd probe the pins, starting with with a low voltage. I don't recall the lighting voltage. It's been a few years.

Yeah, I think all the indicators are hermetically sealed and they are all internally lit. If all you want to do is light them up, I'd probe the pins, starting with with a low voltage. I don't recall the lighting voltage. It's been a few years.
My -1 says "The instrument lights operate on ac power." The plane produced 115/200 volt AC.

Thnx. In three years working them I don't ever remember having to troubleshoot an instrument lighting problem that R&R'ing the indicator didn't fix. Totally inop instruments is another story.

Back