Looking for someone w/in 50 miles of ATL to share time

121Dispatch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FltPlanner
This will be split into two posts…the first is what I am looking for. If this isn’t your area, or you aren’t interested, I will save you from the details. If you are interested, please read the second post as well.

I currently have my PPL-ASEL, and recently passed my IR exam. I am working on building hours for my COMM, but still need about 70 hours before getting to the magic 250. I am looking for someone in the ATL area, specifically LZU (but certainly willing to make a drive), who is either interested in sharing costs, or just having another pilot on board for trips.
Well, it wouldn't let me "reply" to get the second part in another box, so I will just leave some space between part 1 and part 2 :dunno:

Alright, glad you made it to part 2.
A little about myself. I have spent the last 8 years with the airlines (don’t get scared away yet) as a dispatcher. We are pretty much FSS and Flight Watch, but are equally responsible with the captain for the safety of flight. We not only give weather briefs, but build routes, plan fuel numbers, select alternates, give in-flight wx updates, reroutes, diversion plans, etc. I am currently an instructor and “check airman.” I teach pilots and dispatchers FAR’s (121), weather, company policy, aircraft systems, ATC etc, and give written and oral exams on these subjects to dispatchers.

The point of the personal information isn’t to make you think I know everything…that is far from the case. It is to convey that I am not out to waste your time. I am very dedicated to finishing my ratings, and would like to share costs while learning from others, as well as passing along some of the knowledge I have picked up in the 121 world.

After my years working in “flight control,” I have no real desire to fly for the airlines. Instead, I plan to teach and occasionally fly charter/corporate.

If you are interested, please send me a PM, and we can discuss options

Last edited:
Thanks for the website. I signed up, and will start searching. It's another great resource...I appreciate it.

Any luck? I've got a pilot friend out in ATL that might be interested in a flying pal.

I haven't found anyone yet, but I have been putting a syllabus together for my February training class, so I haven't been pursuing the flying very aggressively. If your friend is on this board, have him/her send me a message and I'll be in touch. Probably won't be able to do much flying before the end of February though...My schedule is filled with teaching all month.

Back