Looking for some beta testers

EpicDraws

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Derek
Hello PoA community!

I have been working for the last several months on bringing Takeoff to the web, and I am looking for some experienced beta testers (and weekend flyers alike) to let me know what they think!

Anyone interested?

Thanks!

So.... What is takeoff? Maybe a brief description would be helpful.....

Andy, Derek created Takeoff HD which is a Wx app for iOS and Android. I have it on my iPad and it really like it. I did some beta testing on it and I have to say I think Derek did a great job developing it and responding to changes suggested by the testers.

It differs from other Wx apps because for one thing it allows you to input your own personal minimums so it gives you color coded notices or alerts as to how the Wx corresponds to your personal minimums. Its very intuitive and easy to use.

Full disclosure that in addition to being a beta tester Derek and Takeoff HD have also been supporters of Angel Flight East in which I am involved.

Andy, Derek created Takeoff HD which is a Wx app for iOS and Android. I have it on my iPad and it really like it. I did some beta testing on it and I have to say I think Derek did a great job developing it and responding to changes suggested by the testers.

It differs from other Wx apps because for one thing it allows you to input your own personal minimums so it gives you color coded notices or alerts as to how the Wx corresponds to your personal minimums. Its very intuitive and easy to use.

Full disclosure that in addition to being a beta tester Derek and Takeoff HD have also been supporters of Angel Flight East in which I am involved.

Cool! I'll check it out! I just didn't know what it was....

Good morning,

Derek some of our team, including myself, fit the profile you've described. We'd be happy to see if we can help you.

Let me know what you need.

Derek - I'm game. Did some beta testing a few years ago. PM me with the details.

Thank you all--I really appreciate the interest, and kind words from Adam. I didn't want to describe too much to be clear I am not trying to sell anything, I just am looking for some volunteers.

If interested, please sign up here: http://eepurl.com/AGHWn

If you already have Takeoff for iOS or Android, you can go directly to http://TakeoffAviationWeather.com/sync and use your Takeoff Sync login.

Thanks!

Count me in. I develop software for living and run several groups.

I've just fixed a login issue, so give it another shot. We'll have a sign up form for non Takeoff users coming this weekend.

Thanks again!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I emailed Derek when I had a problem logging in. He replied within 30 minutes & had fixed the problem. I'm now able to log in & sync across different devices.

Awesome program & support Derek!! I'm loving the one-stop WX. Even better now that I can see the same info on my computer in the same format! Keep it up!

Derek -- where do I get my username? When I click the sync(beta) tab to get my log-on it sends me back to this screen:

e9y4a9yn.jpg

And when I click the link for the iPad download I get this:

pa3y6ysa.jpg

You get your username from inside the app. The garbage you are getting is a bug I'll look into. In the next couple days, I'll open it up to non Takeoff users, so if you enter your email you will be kept up to date.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

As an update, we have just pushed a change to our server providing for much better performance. Please keep an eye out for anything that seems off, and enjoy! Thank you all for the feedback, and I am looking forward to hearing more from the PoA community!

Makes sense since it's a WX-related program. Was hoping to do a route, from my home airport to KSUE...even though my home base doesn't have a METAR.

Makes sense since it's a WX-related program. Was hoping to do a route, from my home airport to KSUE...even though my home base doesn't have a METAR.

Let me see if I can add it for you (as a waypoint, it won't show weather still).

Right here would be great!

First things first: I like the app.

My desktop specs: Linux Mint 13 OS with Cinnamon desktop using Google Chrome Version 27.0.1453.110

1. In the Graphics section, when I click on a specific map, the screen darkens but the zoomed map doesn't pop up. None of the maps pop up for me when clicking on an individual map.
  2. When inputting a route under Near Route, I think it should accept a space, in addition to a comma, as a separator. This would seem to follow other aviation apps. The quick check already seems to accept a space. (Error thrown: {"found":false,"invalid":["KPIE KLAL"]})
  3. Would be nice to allow mouse-wheel zoom on the map.
  4. The METAR/TAF popup when you click on one of your favorites has a double scroll bar.
  5. The font (Helvetica Neue?) for the untranslated METAR and TAFs is strange. It does weird things to my eyes. The white text on black background could be contributing.

I'll keep playing with it.

First things first: I like the app.

My desktop specs: Linux Mint 13 OS with Cinnamon desktop using Google Chrome Version 27.0.1453.110

1. In the Graphics section, when I click on a specific map, the screen darkens but the zoomed map doesn't pop up. None of the maps pop up for me when clicking on an individual map.
  2. When inputting a route under Near Route, I think it should accept a space, in addition to a comma, as a separator. This would seem to follow other aviation apps. The quick check already seems to accept a space. (Error thrown: {"found":false,"invalid":["KPIE KLAL"]})
  3. Would be nice to allow mouse-wheel zoom on the map.
  4. The METAR/TAF popup when you click on one of your favorites has a double scroll bar.
  5. The font (Helvetica Neue?) for the untranslated METAR and TAFs is strange. It does weird things to my eyes. The white text on black background could be contributing.

I'll keep playing with it.

Great feedback, and on a platform I haven't tested on.

- I'll have to look into the Graphics issue--I am surprised that simply isn't working.
- Thats a change I can make.
- Mouse wheel scroll was removed on purpose since otherwise I kept scrolling the stupid map when I was trying to scroll down/up (since the map is so big and is right where my mouse usually is when the page loads...). I am open to more opinions.
- Saw this today and am looking into a fix.
- The font is likely missing on your computer (it is a typewriter style font). I will see if I can find a more general one.

Thanks again for the feedback and keep it coming! I'd love to continue to improve the service, and the PoA community is the very best to help with that!

Great feedback, and on a platform I haven't tested on.

- I'll have to look into the Graphics issue--I am surprised that simply isn't working.
- Thats a change I can make.
- Mouse wheel scroll was removed on purpose since otherwise I kept scrolling the stupid map when I was trying to scroll down/up (since the map is so big and is right where my mouse usually is when the page loads...). I am open to more opinions.
- Saw this today and am looking into a fix.
- The font is likely missing on your computer (it is a typewriter style font). I will see if I can find a more general one.

Thanks again for the feedback and keep it coming! I'd love to continue to improve the service, and the PoA community is the very best to help with that!

Let me know if I can provide more info or pics to help track some of these down. I agree about disabling scroll on the map now that you mention it.

Let me know if I can provide more info or pics to help track some of these down. I agree about disabling scroll on the map now that you mention it.

Graphics issue: FIXED
Allowing spaces into routes: FIXED
Double scroll bar on details: FIXED
Missing font on raw METAR: FIXED

Let me know if you notice anything else :D

I have added it as a waypoint, so you should be able to run it in a route now. Let me know how that goes!

Running IE 8.0.7601.17514 has a "stop running this script" warning.
Using VPN, it looks like you asertain location via IP address. Since the VPN server is 500 + miles away an option to manually enter location may be usefull. I could use the near airport function. (today I got the "something went wrong" message. Dont know if you have dump logs but the error came at 1100 EDT on 6/12/13.

Graphics issue: FIXED
Allowing spaces into routes: FIXED
Double scroll bar on details: FIXED
Missing font on raw METAR: FIXED

Let me know if you notice anything else :D

Confirmed all are fixed. The METAR font is much better.

Need to adjust this in the Near Route dropdown:

Enter the airports and waypoints along your route, separated by spaces or commas.

Confirmed all are fixed. The METAR font is much better.

Need to adjust this in the Near Route dropdown:

Thank you, I just made that change.

Check out the 'Interesting' tab. It is very much a work in progress, but it's goal is to show the most 'interesting' weather across the world. Currently it sorts on high winds, high gusting winds, and low visibility. Additionally, it searches all the weather flags to look for things like tornados, etc. It has a bug where no visibility data makes it think visibility is 0 (when it should be 6+sm). Would love to know if any of you find this, well, interesting! :D

I fixed the issue in 'Interesting' above, as well as a couple other small issues.

Keep the feedback coming!

Thank you, I just made that change.

Check out the 'Interesting' tab. It is very much a work in progress, but it's goal is to show the most 'interesting' weather across the world. Currently it sorts on high winds, high gusting winds, and low visibility. Additionally, it searches all the weather flags to look for things like tornados, etc. It has a bug where no visibility data makes it think visibility is 0 (when it should be 6+sm). Would love to know if any of you find this, well, interesting! :D

I think it's interesting.

Here's another thing I thought of:

It would be neat if you could connect a hover over one of the weather blocks below the map to some sort of brief animation of the location marking on the map. Vice versa would also be neat. I have no idea how difficult that would be.

What gave me this idea is when I went to the Interesting tab, a bunch of locations came up, but I was unable to quickly and visually connect a weather block with its actual location on the map.

I think it's interesting.

Here's another thing I thought of:

It would be neat if you could connect a hover over one of the weather blocks below the map to some sort of brief animation of the location marking on the map. Vice versa would also be neat. I have no idea how difficult that would be.

What gave me this idea is when I went to the Interesting tab, a bunch of locations came up, but I was unable to quickly and visually connect a weather block with its actual location on the map.

Very interesting idea... I'll see what I can do ;)

Back