Looking for PIREPs on the iFly 740

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
With the rumored demise of the iPad mini, I've begun to look at the handheld market to replace my aging Mini2. I've seen lots of great things in terms of marketing material for the iFly 740 but not a lot of direct reviews, especially in comparison to the Garmin Aera line.

https://www.iflygps.com/STORE/Product/ifly-740-premium-gps

My club runs all King avionics (former Allied Signal/King Radio flying club) so there's not a spec of Garmin anywhere in the planes so I'm not terribly worried about interfacing with Garmin stuff. I have a Stratux box that works great with my current EFB set-up.

I do like that the full IFR subscription is less than (by a lot) Garmin but I'm not really familiar either with manufacturer of the iFly series.

For the price, it's just a tad bit more than a decked out iPad and the subscription is a little more than Foreflight. I don't want anything larger than a mini but it the screen really needs to be larger than my phone. I could go Android too, I suppose.

Anyone have experience good/bud running an iFly 740?

I don't have a 740, but run the software on a Droid. This is one of the most responsive EFB developers, open to suggestions to improve the product. I would recommend them just for their responsiveness alone, but the software is great! There is now a beta version for Windows.

I purchased one ~3 years ago. It was very buggy - lock ups, repeated problems talking to my autopilot, and other problems I've tried to forget. IFly was helpful, but ultimately, I returned it.

I recommend buying the latest version of the mini. It'll last as long and be less buggy than the iFly.

I have a 740 and love it. Sunlight readable, as was said above the software is great. I have not experienced any bugs with the unit. Be advised, however, that there is no internal battery for extended use. If you plan to use it off ship's power, you would need an external battery pack. Adventurepilot sells one.

Back