Looking for picture of snow on tail

Erice

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Erice
I am looking for a picture I've seen on the Internet somewhere. It was of a regional jet parked at a jetway. Due to ice/snow, whatever, the weight of the tail caused the jet to tip back onto its tail, like it was popping a wheelie.

I have experienced this with our Cessna 150, but I was talking to some high school students about how this phenomenon affects any airplane, regardless of size. I just want some pictures to back me up!

I am looking for a picture I've seen on the Internet somewhere. It was of a regional jet parked at a jetway. Due to ice/snow, whatever, the weight of the tail caused the jet to tip back onto its tail, like it was popping a wheelie.

I have experienced this with our Cessna 150, but I was talking to some high school students about how this phenomenon affects any airplane, regardless of size. I just want some pictures to back me up!

Maybe it was an RJ Taildragger?

Could it have been this one? Note the towbar dangling from the nose gear of this DC-9-40.

This happened in January 2004 at KPDX, Portland, Oregon, just a mile across the river from where I live. Once in a while (not every winter, thankfully) the Portland area can get some hellacious freezing rain. Cold continental air from Canada gets blown westward like a fire hose through the Columbia Gorge, aimed right at the Portland metro area, and underrides the relatively warm, wet storms that come in from the southwest. These Pacific storms pull moisture like a conveyor belt all the way from Hawaii, earning the nickname "Pineapple Express." The warm rain falls through the cold air near the surface and freezes on impact.

On this occasion, ice and freezing rain shut down KPDX completely for three days. Needless to say we did not/could not leave the house for those days, and one or two more beyond that.

The smaller aerial photo was from a TV news helicopter. While it was 27 deg. F on the ground at KPDX, the helicopter pilot hovering 2,000 feet over the idle airport reported the OAT gauge showed 47 deg. F.

The nighttime shots are of an Alaska MD-80 during that same storm.

Attachments

• airborne_dc-9_2.jpg
    airborne_dc-9_2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Airborne_DC-9.jpg
    Airborne_DC-9.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 68
  • pdx_02.jpg
    pdx_02.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 35
  • pdx_03.jpg
    pdx_03.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Could it have been this one? Note the towbar dangling from the nose gear of this DC-9-40.

This is a great example. It was not the same one I had seen earlier, but it may be even better. I especially appreciate the story behind the pictures. Thanks!

Any others out there? Keep 'em coming. Maybe after this weekend, there will be more (Snowmageddon)!

Here you go,.. not a big plane, but Bob and I found this after the big snow this week when we went to check on her. :yikes:

Attachments

• IMG_0472.JPG
    IMG_0472.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0475.JPG
    IMG_0475.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 18
Here's a picture from a storm a couple of years ago. It was not that much snow, as you can see, but there was enough weight aft of the CoG to tilt it up on its tail. No harm done, though.

Attachments

• SnowOnTail.jpg
    SnowOnTail.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 16
Back