Looking for PCAS

Whitepuffyclouds

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Whitepuffyclouds
I fly in heavily congested airspace, intensive student training, lots of GA traffic. I fully understand keeping my eyes outside the cockpit and "see and avoid" but it's a sobering reality that midair collisions have involved even high-time pilots, cfi's, etc.

I'm looking for some additional resources other than just my eyes/diligent radio calls. I know Zaon is out of business but maybe someone has a used unit that they are looking to sell? Let me know.

On a related note, I fly late 70's rental aircraft. I'm late to fully understanding the new ADS-B info, but I did stumble upon the thread about the $115 knockoff receiver. From what I could gather however, it's traffic reporting capabilities are limited. Is it worth it to try this out though? Any info and advice is appreciated, thanks!

Check ebay for a Zaon MRX or XRX (TPAS - traffic passive) unit that works.
The ADS-B aka Stratux, works just fine for traffic depending on what device you're using. Check Chris' website for details and what's supported:

stratux.me

ForeFlight has decided not to allow the Stratux AHRS capability on the iPad. Everything else works fine.

Just keep your eyes outside.

It's worked for decades, and is the safest option.

I have a Zaon MRX I will sell for $50 plus about $5.00 shipping. If you aren't familiar with this model it will provide distance and relative altitude of nearby traffic but not azimuth. I used this for a couple years before I installed panel mounted traffic.

Just keep your eyes outside.

It's worked for decades, and is the safest option.

I don't disagree with the spirit of what you're saying (keep eyes outside, yes; worked for decades, yes...usually; safest, yes), but ultimately, let's face it - we're in the business of risk management. I'll take anything else that can help my eyes out, including additional traffic information (since it's so cheap to have nowadays) and including asking passengers to let me know if they happen to see any other aircraft that I don't.

The thing to avoid is becoming reliant on PCAS, so I understand the caution you imply in what you say. But having traffic info in such highly congested airspace (I'm in southern CA area...) is a real help to one's SA, in my opinion.

I've got a ZAON PCAS and Mode S TIS and usually get flight following and lookout the window. The electronic devices have saved my butt at least twice.

Back