Looking for local info on CMI....X post AOPA

purdue1014

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brent
Hello All,

WX depending, I'm going to be taking my long solo XC this Sunday to CMI. I of course will get a full briefing by my CFI, but to get all my bases covered, I was wondering if anyone had any "local knowledge" to offer? Any local landmarks, etc.?

Thanks,

Purdue

Hello All,

WX depending, I'm going to be taking my long solo XC this Sunday to CMI. I of course will get a full briefing by my CFI, but to get all my bases covered, I was wondering if anyone had any "local knowledge" to offer? Any local landmarks, etc.?

Thanks,

Purdue

There's a little college there. You can use the flying saucer as an aim point.

Are you planning to go sightseeing on your student XC? You can't stop for that long and tsill get home with daylight.

http://www.flycmi.com/

I flew there on my dual XC.

the ladies at Flightstar are cute, for the most part. Good controllers. Ive been in and out a few times in a 182RG and had no problems at all.

I flew there on my instrument XC so I did not see anything. I have flown through their airspace several times. They are, compared to C90 airspace, a pretty easy group to deal with. No surprises if you have been in class C before you will not need to know anything different.

I think the issue that may catch you is that it is possible a more complicated ground/taxiway system than what you may have encountered before. Make sure that you have the taxiway diagram handy when you land. Probably a good idea to have looked at it a bit before you even take off.

yea the taxiways are sorta goofy, running at odd angles. my last trip was the first time in this airplane after its had a major avionics overhaul. before was dual cessna nav/comms an inop ADF and inop DME and a transponder that worked sometimes. now its a full Garmin stack with 430, 496, GTX whatever transponder and a KX155 #2 nav/comm. I didnt know until i landed that they sprung for the runway diagrams on the 496, had my AFD all ready to go. boy oh boy is that fancy!

You can use the flying saucer as an aim point.

Are you planning to go sightseeing on your student XC?

http://www.flycmi.com/
Thanks for the info, I forgot about the flying saucer, it has been a while since I've been there, thanks. No sightseeing for me, just a stop to fuel up, get some free cookies that Marty on AOPA said they have there, then it is off to SQI for me...

. Ive been in and out a few times in a 182RG and had no problems at all.
Sounds good to me, thanks Tony!

I think the issue that may catch you is that it is possible a more complicated ground/taxiway system than what you may have encountered before. Make sure that you have the taxiway diagram handy when you land. Probably a good idea to have looked at it a bit before you even take off.

yea the taxiways are sorta goofy, running at odd angles.
Thanks for the heads up guys. Are they worse than the construction at RFD? Either way, I'll study the diagram beforehand, and probably ask for a progressive, thanks!

Thanks again for the input,

Have a great evening,

Purdue

Back