Looking for Jeppesen database update

B

bootseem

I have a old Northstar GPS-60 VFR unit and I want to do a one time update to the Jeppesen database card. To buy a Skybound Adapter DSKYFF41 is $149 and the one time database update is $110. I'd rather avoid having to buy the Adapter for a one time use. Looking for someone who has an Adapter and I can send them my card. I will pay for the database update, just looking for a one time use to download and update the card.

The Adapter needs to be a DSKYFF41 or DSKYFU41.

Thanks.
Boot Seem

Any chance that these cards are standard compactflash cards? If so, you may not need the full Skybound programmer.

I don't recognize those part numbers, that's definitely not the Skybound USB device I have that works with the Garmin 430 cards (and some others).
-harry

No. Not a standard compact flash card and this uses a different Jeppesen adapter than the Garmin 430. Also, the Skybound USB adapter isn't it. Gotta be on of those model #'s I listed.

Boot

No. Not a standard compact flash card and this uses a different Jeppesen adapter than the Garmin 430. Also, the Skybound USB adapter isn't it. Gotta be on of those model #'s I listed.

Boot

I thought that Jepp discontinued support for the Skybound adapter recently.

They discontinued support for the old software that originally came with the Skybound adapter. The new software, Jeppesen Software Update Manager, supports the Skybound as well as the newer stuff.

They discontinued support for the old software that originally came with the Skybound adapter. The new software, Jeppesen Software Update Manager, supports the Skybound as well as the newer stuff.

Apparently the Skybound USB is still supported. Those of us (like me) who still have and are using the old Skybound II (PC card, not USB ) are hosed. First notice I got as a subscriber was this week. And no note about what us older II/PCMCIA users have to do... or whether they're going to help. No one is working Jepp this weekend. Probably gonna cost me (another) $300 for the adapters (2 different types of GPS), but I can't argue with Jepp about that until Monday.

By the time we're done with having to replace the hardware every couple of years, it's almost as cost effective to use the mail service. That's probably what they have in mind. Profit down? Force people to buy new hardware. This is the second time I've been through this with them.

You get customer service if you're an airline or large corporate user. You get squat if you're an average GA customer. Maybe McCain is working together with Jepp to drive us out of the air (and I'll stop there rather than going to Spin).

I really, really wish there were an alternative. Not going to happen with the Garmin-Jepp cartel.

Bill,

Did you try to use your PCMCIA adapter?

I got the same (poorly-worded, IMO) e-mail from Jepp, but end of last week tried the Skybound II program with my PCMCIA adapter as I usually do and it worked normally! This is for my UPS GX-60 GPS comm with 4MB PCMCIA flash card.

YMMV for your 430, but I'd say give it a shot!

Bill,

Did you try to use your PCMCIA adapter?

I got the same (poorly-worded, IMO) e-mail from Jepp, but end of last week tried the Skybound II program with my PCMCIA adapter as I usually do and it worked normally! This is for my UPS GX-60 GPS comm with 4MB PCMCIA flash card.

YMMV for your 430, but I'd say give it a shot!

The old adapter works with the old Skybound II. Skybound II program goes away later this month (so it will still work for you).

The adapeter will NOT work with the new JSUM, which becomes mandatory later this month.

Jepp sucks.

The old adapter works with the old Skybound II. Skybound II program goes away later this month (so it will still work for you).

The adapeter will NOT work with the new JSUM, which becomes mandatory later this month.

Jepp sucks.

Hmmm. I'd better check into it a little more carefully...

Hmmm. I'd better check into it a little more carefully...

Rich, I got an email back late last night from Jepp - they indicate that they'll send a USB adapter for free. Kudos to Jepp for doing the right thing, assuming it arrives, of course.

Worth a call to them, I think.

Bill

Apparently the Skybound USB is still supported. Those of us (like me) who still have and are using the old Skybound II (PC card, not USB ) are hosed. First notice I got as a subscriber was this week. And no note about what us older II/PCMCIA users have to do... or whether they're going to help. No one is working Jepp this weekend. Probably gonna cost me (another) $300 for the adapters (2 different types of GPS), but I can't argue with Jepp about that until Monday.

By the time we're done with having to replace the hardware every couple of years, it's almost as cost effective to use the mail service. That's probably what they have in mind. Profit down? Force people to buy new hardware. This is the second time I've been through this with them.

You get customer service if you're an airline or large corporate user. You get squat if you're an average GA customer. Maybe McCain is working together with Jepp to drive us out of the air (and I'll stop there rather than going to Spin).

I really, really wish there were an alternative. Not going to happen with the Garmin-Jepp cartel.

Hi. Ted with Jeppesen Tech Support here.

First, I want to let you know that Jeppesen Tech Support is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for all users. You can reach us at 1-800-732-2800 option 1 - 1.
Customer Service is also open on the weekend. Their hours are 0600-2000 Monday through Friday, and 0700-1600 Saturday and Sunday.

Support for the SkyBound II hardware ended as of the beginning of Cycle 0810 (15 Sept, 2008). Users with the older SkyBound II hardware can receive a new SkyBound USB adapter free of charge by contacting Customer Service at 1-800-621-5377.

Support for the SkyBound USB software also ended that day, but the USB hardware will still work with the new Jeppesen Services Update Manager software which is free to download from
www.jepppesen.com/jsum/download

JSUM will work with Windows XP and Vista 32 bit. It is not compatible with any 64 bit operating systems at this time. It is also not compatible with Mac.

Hope this helps.

-Ted Mullen
Jeppesen PC Tech Support

Ted - welcome aboard and thanks for that informative post! Excellent news!

btw, how's the database group doing over there? :)

First, I want to let you know that Jeppesen Tech Support is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for all users. You can reach us at 1-800-732-2800 option 1 - 1.
Customer Service is also open on the weekend. Their hours are 0600-2000 Monday through Friday, and 0700-1600 Saturday and Sunday.

Ted,

Welcome aboard, and thank you.

With respect to the comment I highlighted above, my experience in trying to contact either Tech Support or Customer Service on weekends has been less than satisfactory. Weekdays, yes. Weekends, no. I usually get a message asking me to leave a message or call back.

JSUM will work with Windows XP and Vista 32 bit. It is not compatible with any 64 bit operating systems at this time. It is also not compatible with Mac.
It's also not compatible with Windows Server 2003, unfortunately. This means that I have to keep a laptop around just to run JSUM.

It would be really, really nice if Jeppesen would broaden the list of supported platforms...

Hi. Ted with Jeppesen Tech Support here.

JSUM ... is also not compatible with Mac.

Hope this helps.

-Ted Mullen
Jeppesen PC Tech Support
Ted,

Is there any chance that Jeppesen will make JSUM compatible with Mac, either via Boot Camp or Parallels?

Thanks,

Is there any chance that Jeppesen will make JSUM compatible with Mac, either via Boot Camp or Parallels?
I didn't try Boot Camp, but I was not able to get it to work from XP with Parallels. Dammit. I was hoping I could get rid of the POS Dell laptop...

I'd be greatly surprised if Jeppesen went out of their way to make it work on a Mac, period. They've drank the Kool-Aid that says that if you're not running XP, you don't count.

I didn't try Boot Camp, but I was not able to get it to work from XP with Parallels. Dammit. I was hoping I could get rid of the POS Dell laptop...

Don, Jay,

Boot camp would pretty much have to work - At that point, your Mac *IS* a PC.

We should get Slappy to try it, IIRC he bought a MacBook Pro, wiped it clean, and installed Windows so he could be the coolest PC-using kid on the block.

I think Ted's been outsourced ... not an uncommon occurrence at Jepp ...

Works great on Bootcamp. Don't use the USB on some Mac Keyboards as they will be slower. Use a USB on the Computer itself. I have not tried the new Parallels 4.0 but Bootcamp is easy and FAST!
Yeah, Boot Camp is easy and fast, but it requires shutting down everything you're doing in Mac OS X to get there. Once you've tried Parallels, you won't go back.

Works great on Bootcamp. Don't use the USB on some Mac Keyboards as they will be slower. Use a USB on the Computer itself. I have not tried the new Parallels 4.0 but Bootcamp is easy and FAST!

Also, FWIW, it can be helpful to know what the USB configuration is. For example, on the MacBook Pro, the internal keyboard, iSight camera, etc. are on the same bus as the left-hand (or left rear on the 17") USB port. The right-hand (and left front) USB port is on a separate bus. I know that with some of the more demanding (ie audio) devices, that can cause issues.

I don't know right offhand what the MacBooks, the desktops, or any PC's do - Look for technical documentation. :yes:

I think Ted's been outsourced ... not an uncommon occurrence at Jepp ...

:no:
Actually, I'm not "outsourced". I've been an employee at Jeppesen Headquarters at 55 Inverness Drive for about 6 years now.

Jeppesen does not outsource it's Technical Support department either on the aviation or marine side.
Most of our techs in Business and General Aviation support (BGA), in addition to being skilled at troubleshooting PCs have aviation experience (PPL or above).

I personally have:
Bachelor's degree Aviation: University of Nebraska
Associates degree Microcomputer Technology
CFI-A Commercial Pilot Instrument Rating Multi-engine rating
Certified Airline Dispatcher
5 Years in USAF Intel specializing in cartography

Yeah, Boot Camp is easy and fast, but it requires shutting down everything you're doing in Mac OS X to get there. Once you've tried Parallels, you won't go back.

And I say -

Forget Parallels. Its too expensive. Try Virtualbox. Its free, and once you try it, you'll never go back to Parallels or Boot Camp :D

Actually, I'm not "outsourced". I've been an employee at Jeppesen Headquarters at 55 Inverness Drive for about 6 years now.

Jeppesen does not outsource it's Technical Support department either on the aviation or marine side.
Most of our techs in Business and General Aviation support (BGA), in addition to being skilled at troubleshooting PCs have aviation experience (PPL or above).

I personally have:

Killer username btw. :D

Forget Parallels. Its too expensive. Try Virtualbox. Its free, and once you try it, you'll never go back to Parallels or Boot Camp :D
Never go back to Boot Camp, sure. I tried VirtualBox, though, and it wouldn't provide the hardware support I needed (at the time, I needed USB support, and I couldn't get it to work). Parallels is also a lot more versatile and better integrated with OS X. I think it's well worth $80.

I personally have:

Ted! Nice to hear from you again! With all the flack going on in the database department that I've been hearing about for a number of years now, I incorrectly assumed it was kind of company-wide. Sorry, my mistake.

Hi all,

Newbie here. Just updated my Comanche single turbo with a 530W/MX200 (among other too expensive toys). Died in wool Mac guy; can't even navigate a windows machine well. I have Win XP via bootcamp on my MacBook Pro. Has it been decided or proven that Skybound II adaptor will not work with this setup? If it does work with some folks, which USB port are they using. How does this whole thing work? Do you call Jeppesen after you get the adapter and give them a credit card then they direct to a site with a code to download the uptdate? Excuse my ignorance, gotta' learn somewhere.

Farmdoc, afraid I can't help with the Jepp update, but welcome to one of the best boards around! If your nickname really reflects your profession, you've got to get together with Barb (Dr. with a farm)! (Though she flies low and slow, climbing up to pattern altitude in her TriPacer!) :) Of, as I thought later you might mean, a large animal vet. I think Dave Taylor, who flies a very nice Super Viking, does that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome. Hope I can find the answer to my ????? re: Jeppesen/Mac/upgrades. Also, I have an Arrow for sale; maybe I'll visit the classifieds soon. Clear skies....

Hey!

I'm a Doctor of Love. Is that good for anything?

Farmdoc,

I'm the de facto Mac tech support guy around here, but I've been out of town for my sister's wedding and didn't see your question until now. :redface:

I can't say for sure because I haven't done it, but if you use Boot Camp to boot into Windows, your Mac *is* a Windows PC - No emulation going on or anything - So it should work just fine. ReverendSlappy has a MacBook Pro with Windows on it, but doesn't have an airplane - Maybe he can find someone with the Jepp adapter and make sure it works? I can't think of anyone around here right offhand that has a Mac, an airplane, and a panel-mount Garmin. :dunno:

Please do share with us what you find out! Oh, and...

Comanche single turbo with a 530W/MX200

Droooooooool... Can I have a ride? :D I love Comanches. :yes:

The newest version of Parallels claims to support USB 2.0. The odds are good that running Windows in Parallels would work, too.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll get the gizmo from Jeppesen, plug it into the XP side of the Macbook pro, and see what happens. May take a week or so, busy time of year. And yes, flyingcheesehead, if I get to your neighborhood, you can sure have a ride. farmdoc

(disclaimer: I am a Jeppesen employee in Sales and Service.)

Hi guys!

I know this is an old thread, but it's a top google link when searching "JSUM 64 bit".

I wanted to let you know the good news:

With the release of JSUM version 2.2 JSUM (due out on Monday December 21st, 2009) will be 64-bit compatible!

Just to clear up any other confusion that I've read in this string:

• The older USB skybound (both the 3-in 1 and the 2-in 1 readers) are still technically supported, but Jeppesen will swap you to the newest USB reader (only works for Garmin units) for free.
  • The oldest PCMCIA unit is no longer suppported at all. If you have this unit you will need to purchase a new USB programmer.
  • We do not currently have a Mac version even in "the works". This decision is made by people "above my desk" but nothing is happening on that front yet.
  • The NorthStar unit support is completely gone. Jeppesen doesn't even sell the last database published 03-09 (March '09)
  • If you only want one update per year on your NavData, bring your card with you to an Air Show, we'll program it for you for just the cost of the downloadable update.

Last edited:
Back