Looking for interesting planes and interesting stories

Roger Wyatt

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RogerW
Tomorrow is my PPL checkride but that's not what this post is about.

I've had something on my mind for a while. I used to make a vlog and I follow all the normal people (Trent, Cory, Mike Patey, Flightchops, etc). However, I'm wanting to do something different.

One of my favorite car sites is Petrolicious. Why? Because each film is a love story between the car and it's owner. Beautifully shot and with great cars and great stories.

Why can't aviation have something similar? We have lots of interesting aircraft and great people who love them.

As for me, I'm 55 and finally getting my license after having family and life prevent me. After my son passed away from cancer, I started vlogging to help me heal. I haven't been as busy lately because I really have been looking for something I really want to shoot.

I want to restart my filmmaking by starting on this project. This is truly just a passion project on my part. However, I need subjects. I'm looking for interesting aircraft and stories. Shooting an episode will probably take a day or two. If you would like to help, have an interesting story to tell, or own and interesting aircraft that you would like to share with the community, please message me.

Thanks,
Roger Wyatt

Well I’ll tell you my tale…

after a 4 year break in my flying I had a dream one early morning of looking at an airplane to buy… I woke up and said “if you don’t buy a plane and park it here at the local airport you will never fly again!” I set out that day to make it happen.

After much research I decided on a Cessna 120/140 and then got looking for “the one”….

I found 1859V in Nebraska, and made her mine. I had to take my CFI with me (we’re in MI) as I didnt have my TW and was rusty anyway. I had reviewed her logs since the last OH but not all of them going back to 47. When I did my jaw dropped. Her original home was 30 Nm or so from home! I went to White Cloud airport and left a note on the board about her.. the original owners nephew called me! Charles Moore was the local Chrysler dealer in 47. He justified the purchase ($3,550) by flying his wife to Detroit where Chrysler would have two new cars waiting for her- one hitched to the other… she would drive them back to his lot so he could avoid Chrysler’s delivery fee! Pilots ability to justify aviation expenses is not a new skill! :)

70 plus years later she’s hangared just a short hop from that original home.

she made the NTSB database in ‘72, a student on a first solo take off was rolling down the runway when the side window popped open. He seen it more fit to close the window than track the centerline… she looped and nosed over. Best I can tell is she sat as junk till the late 70s. A gentleman going through a rough spot in life brought her back to life to keep his sanity as he navigated an ugly divorce. He flew her only got a short time once she was “new again” and had health problems. Sadly he couldn’t let her go- emotionally so she rotted in a hangar… she was restored again and was part of a couple clubs and a CFI’s before she became mine.

I named her Shirley, I’m the father of 4 boys and was dearly close to my Grandma and never had a daughter to name after her. And it didn’t hurt to have the Leslie Neilson reference. My hardly developed YouTube channel is “Call Her Shirley”.

In my short 3 years with her, I’ve completely redone the interior but kept the complete spirit of 1947. Doing everything I could myself, down to sewing her new seats… I’ve flown her from 6d6 Michigan to 3u2 Johnson Creek Idaho twice, quite the treck and DAs in such a bird. She handled it all with not so much as a hiccup-besides the time she drank a slug of water in Iowa… We also flew to Fl and back this Spring, my GF and I. I bought her skis and we play in the snow too-lots of work but lots of fun- a very interesting flying experience. We’ve gone all over Michigan together and camped a lot at 5d5 Woosley Memorial. I’ve been putting 120-150 hours a year on her while I’ve been her caretaker.

My GF fell for Shirley as hard as she did me. We are hoping to get married later this year and the wedding will be at the big hangar at 6d6… we are hoping to walk out of the ceremony and jump in an already pre-flighted Shirley and take a lap around the pattern before returning to the party! I hope to still be flying still when I’m 67 as I’d love to be flying her on Aug 19, 2047 her 100th birthday.

C7EFB2A9-C3C5-4610-80BF-4C24448D0ECF.jpeg C4728395-0E10-423D-905D-42805E06E920.jpeg 5B8E73D8-F400-49E0-B489-BABAC69F3BC2.jpeg B4D3F790-F820-4C44-81B1-58160B9FFB97.jpeg E4225161-C58B-4BAC-9E2A-3C7DACD5A103.jpeg

Holy crap! Love the panel! Beautiful and it's original unadulterated state, as it should be.

It's sad to me when you see what should be a classic airplane and a random G5 and 430 shoehorned in somewhere

Thanks! It’s been a lot of fun bringing it her interior to a new but 47 look.

Holy crap! Love the panel! Beautiful and it's original unadulterated state, as it should be.

It's sad to me when you see what should be a classic airplane and a random G5 and 430 shoehorned in somewhere

What's a classic though? I mean, I have a '58 but its panel is massively updated.

What's a classic though? I mean, I have a '58 but its panel is massively updated.
I think that's mission and execution dependent. In a perfect world you'd keep it the way God intended. But if your mission is long trips, IMC, etc., then a well designed updated panel makes sense. What gets me is when the panel looks mostly like the OPs, but there's a G5 awkwardly bolted somewhere and a 430 added in somewhere too. Space is limited, but if you're going to upgrade, then do it right. So many hodge podge panels out there.

what's his face did something kinda similar to this............flying doodles or something. check out his vids for ideas.

I think that's mission and execution dependent. In a perfect world you'd keep it the way God intended. But if your mission is long trips, IMC, etc., then a well designed updated panel makes sense. What gets me is when the panel looks mostly like the OPs, but there's a G5 awkwardly bolted somewhere and a 430 added in somewhere too. Space is limited, but if you're going to upgrade, then do it right. So many hodge podge panels out there.

I agree, mission specific and both can be really cool. My least favorite version is the hacked up middle of the road. My mission is strictly vfr and I have no current interest in an IR… so really she’s already got more instruments than I need! The oil pressure and temp gauge probs my the most critical, the rest are just creature comforts for my missions :)

I've been wrestling with the idea of purchasing an Aztec (reasons for which can be discussed elsewhere) and the plane I'm considering is fairly.. umm.. "original" - I actually like the roundgauge look but was looking at the little Garmin round "steamgauge" LCD screens

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/ar...-believe-what-this-little-round-gauge-can-do/

upload_2021-6-18_15-22-38.png

As far as "real estate" usage it's not super practical, but it looks pretty sharp; in my (not so) humble opinion

what's his face did something kinda similar to this............flying doodles or something. check out his vids for ideas.
I follow his stuff, too. I really haven't seen anything out there like what I want to make.

I follow his stuff, too. I really haven't seen anything out there like what I want to make.
That's good though. Shows there's an untapped market then? I do wish there was better aviation content. It's generally either educational, too IN YOUR FACE SOCIAL MEDIA LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME, or poorly done

Good luck!

By the way, how did your checkride go?

Checkride didn't go. Examiner got stuck on I-95 for 3 hours. Gusty crosswind kicked up. He's leaving for Myrtle Beach and wouldn't be able to finish until July 2. Got Monday afternoon scheduled with another examiner. Fingers crossed the winds cooperate.

I agree with you about the state of aviation content. All of that is needed and I don't mind the social media guys because it does show the fun of aviation. I want to show the passion, and I want to show it with a different style.

bummer but good luck though for Monday!

Tomorrow is my PPL checkride but that's not what this post is about.

I've had something on my mind for a while. I used to make a vlog and I follow all the normal people (Trent, Cory, Mike Patey, Flightchops, etc). However, I'm wanting to do something different.

One of my favorite car sites is Petrolicious. Why? Because each film is a love story between the car and it's owner. Beautifully shot and with great cars and great stories.

Why can't aviation have something similar? We have lots of interesting aircraft and great people who love them.

As for me, I'm 55 and finally getting my license after having family and life prevent me. After my son passed away from cancer, I started vlogging to help me heal. I haven't been as busy lately because I really have been looking for something I really want to shoot.

I want to restart my filmmaking by starting on this project. This is truly just a passion project on my part. However, I need subjects. I'm looking for interesting aircraft and stories. Shooting an episode will probably take a day or two. If you would like to help, have an interesting story to tell, or own and interesting aircraft that you would like to share with the community, please message me.

Thanks,
Roger Wyatt

Sounds like a great plan, and you can count on me subscribing. As you know, vlogging if different than making great content. One of my favorites is Josh Flowers' Aviation101 channel. I like how he elegantly combines the technical aspects of flying an artistic presentation. Good luck on the checkride!

Sounds like a great plan, and you can count on me subscribing. As you know, vlogging if different than making great content. One of my favorites is Josh Flowers' Aviation101 channel. I like how he elegantly combines the technical aspects of flying an artistic presentation. Good luck on the checkride!

I like Aviation101 and his cross country stuff he did in the Mooney.

Yep, I've done vlogging and made some more involved videos. This is going to include some learning on my part (if you aren't learning, it's not as fun for me)

Lin Wright that owned the Woodpecker Tiger Moth. Lin passed a several years ago. He flew the Hump during WWII, taught my Dad how to fly DC-3's in the mid 50's. Soloed me in my first nose wheel airplane, C150 Dillingham Hawaii. After he retired from Continental Airlines he gave rides in his Tiger Moth in several states. His Moth was used in the movie about Pancho Barnes in 1988. What a great guy!

1941 Tiger Moth Gets New Life as Replica - News - The Ledger - Lakeland, FL

Talk about your early birds! Woodpecker Tiger Moth arrives months, yes months, before the big show — General Aviation News

@Roger Wyatt - this was shared here recently, fantastic pilot plane story. Nice production as well. Your post made me wonder if this is sort of what you're after?

As far as "real estate" usage it's not super practical

The real advantage to these, aside from their multi-function abilities, is that they fit into your existing 3-1/8 holes with no modifications to your panel. Sounds kinda boring, but you'd be surprised how much time panel modifications take for more extensive projects; not to mention the paperwork.

I installed a 275 in a C-195. This happened to be a ground-up panel overhaul, so the panel itself was cut on a CNC table. But the owner (a friend of mine) and I have flown it together and we both really like the GI275. Its a great unit.

The real advantage to these, aside from their multi-function abilities, is that they fit into your existing 3-1/8 holes with no modifications to your panel. Sounds kinda boring, but you'd be surprised how much time panel modifications take for more extensive projects; not to mention the paperwork.

I installed a 275 in a C-195. This happened to be a ground-up panel overhaul, so the panel itself was cut on a CNC table. But the owner (a friend of mine) and I have flown it together and we both really like the GI275. Its a great unit.
Awesome! Thanks for the write up and first-hand experience with one

195 are beautiful airplanes, this is exactly the kind of application where the round LCD is perfect

@Roger Wyatt - this was shared here recently, fantastic pilot plane story. Nice production as well. Your post made me wonder if this is sort of what you're after?

Yep, that’s the kind of films. It’s all about the love of flying. Just like the people who have their dream car and love it and can talk about how it makes them feel when they hear it or work on it. When they talk, they can go on and on about the specs, but that’s not what they really talk about. It’s the adventure of finding it, getting it just like they like it, and then just enjoying the drive. That’s what I’m looking for - but for planes and pilots.

That's a great example though of keeping the classic look while also bringing it up to modern standards.. well done!

Well, not much more interesting of a GA plane than the MU2, my dream plane that I got to fly for 2.5 years before shutting down Cloud Nine. Of course the plane is gone but the story of it, my long term lust/goal of an MU2, and the love affair spanning 4 airplanes and over 3000 dogs, cats, and alligators, isn’t a bad story. In fact, I’m writing a book about it.

Bumping this back up. I’ve got one in progress. Trying to get more stories in the hopper.

Back