Looking for Information

rstory

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
I'm looking for information on the flying situation in 3 different cities that are in the running for me to move to. They are Rochester, MN; Charlottesville, VA; and Charleston, SC.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who know about those areas with clubs, flight schools, or other flying opportunities.

Thanks

I'm looking for information on the flying situation in 3 different cities that are in the running for me to move to. They are Rochester, MN; Charlottesville, VA; and Charleston, SC.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who know about those areas with clubs, flight schools, or other flying opportunities.

Thanks

A friend of mine just moved to the DC area and plans on flying out of HEF as a renter. I've flown in and out of there 3-4 times to visit friends. You'll be contending with the SFRA if you fly there, but I'm sure you knew about that already.

If you would like me to put you in touch with the guy, let me know.

Thanks for the reply. I figured Charlottesville would mean interaction with the SFRA.

Charlottesville is a long way from the SFRA, and a long way from HEF (which is inside the SFRA). It's close enough that you'll want to take the online training thing, because you'll probably be operating in the 60 nm radius, but you'll only actually be going into the SFRA if you want to. It's about 50 nm away.

I don't know much about any of the places you mention, but have landed at Eagle's Nest (W13) outside of Charlottesville (as well as at CHO proper a few times). Eagle's Nest seemed like a lot of fun, though with the hills, weather, and two high-minimums RNAV approaches I wouldn't want to be based there if I were in a flying-for-transportation situation of any kind.

The SFRA & FRZ are not that big of a deal. Do the paperwork & training. Understand what you are supposed to do and follow their rules. The more frequently you deal with them, the easier it gets.

Jim

Last edited:
Leesburg va. They have a couple of flight training schools on the field. Very easy in and out. And you get to learn how to fly the sfra&frz.

Ryan,

RST is mostly GA friendly though they prefer the jet-A crowd to the avgas lot. There is a very active club based at RST that offers some flight training to its members, but for the most part you get a better training experience at some of the surrounding smaller airports. As for other flying opportunities, there's a glider port up at Stanton (50 min drive north), seaplane training at South St. Paul (about 60 min drive north).

Ryan,

RST is mostly GA friendly though they prefer the jet-A crowd to the avgas lot. There is a very active club based at RST that offers some flight training to its members, but for the most part you get a better training experience at some of the surrounding smaller airports. As for other flying opportunities, there's a glider port up at Stanton (50 min drive north), seaplane training at South St. Paul (about 60 min drive north).

Thanks or the tip on Stanton and the seaplane training. Stanton looks like a neat place and my type of flying.

Back