Looking for high performance checkout

mikempb

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
M
Hi All, Im Mike and Im new to the forums... ( I know case of beer right?!)
Anyway Im looking to reimburse gas and a little extra so I can get my high per. check ride in the allentown pa area( I fly out of KXLL) any takers???

Mike first question is do you have a HP plane available to you? If so I am going to recommend Ted Dupuis. Ted flies out of KIPT only about 76 nm from Queen City. Ted is a frequent poster on this board a CFI and an extremely competent pilot and good instructor. He ain't that pretty but he knows how to fly and how to teach. You can even send him a PM. And by the way what the hell was wrong with the old Idendifier at Queen City?

By the way Welcome to Pilots of America.

Hi Adam, I dont have any plane available. I know I could rent one in NJ just looking to save a little on cost. I learned at Gateway over there at Queens city, and they have been great to me so I would prob. use one of them, thanks for the help though:smile:

Hi Adam, I dont have any plane available. I know I could rent one in NJ just looking to save a little on cost. I learned at Gateway over there at Queens city, and they have been great to me so I would prob. use one of them, thanks for the help though:smile:

I doubt you'd find any private airplane owner that would be willing to let you use their airplane for this unless they're already set up for renting in out. At the very least a standard insurance policy wouldn't likely cover you receiving instruction in the plane. You also probably cannot get instruction from a 3rd party (like Ted) in an airplane rented from an FBO unless the instructor already teaches there.

Funny thing theres a cessna 152 in texas that has to be brought back, Im thinking about it, I just brought one back from south carolina (152 again) and it gets a little uncomfortable, but hey, its free flight time right?! I'll let you know...thanks!
Mike

Ah if your just looking for someone to rent you a plane inexpensivly and your going to use the CFIs at Gateway, Fuggeddaboudit. Just go to Gateway and get the endorsment there, your not going to enough to even make it worthwhile with the other plan. Get the endorsment where ever you rent the plane. The FBO won't rent an HP plane to you so that you can get an endorsment with an outside CFI anyway.

Best of Luck

Best bang for the buck will be to spend the 5 hours getting Night and IFR current if applicable perhaps find a plane with some new to you avionics, etc.

You can come out to Pittsburgh for a HP checkout. I can include 430WAAS if that's something you need/want.

We can also do a tailwheel endorsement. :yesnod:

Hey thats not a bad idea, getting hp and tailwheel... would that be a c-185? I have a lead or two from XLL I should know fairly soon, otherwise I will get back to you. Im looking to have it by March. thanks:smile:

Funny thing theres a cessna 152 in texas that has to be brought back, Im thinking about it, I just brought one back from south carolina (152 again) and it gets a little uncomfortable, but hey, its free flight time right?! I'll let you know...thanks!
Mike

I hope you are aware that the FAA considers "free flight time" such as ferrying a plane from point A to point B on someone else's nickel to be "compensation" and requiring a commercial certificate even if you don't actually get paid for your time. I personally have no problem with you doing this and don't think it should be against the rules but it is so you might not want to go around advertising that you did.

Funny thing theres a cessna 152 in texas that has to be brought back, Im thinking about it, I just brought one back from south carolina (152 again) and it gets a little uncomfortable, but hey, its free flight time right?!
You do have your Commercial Pilot certificate, right? And (now that I've seen it) consider the other issues Lance raised in his post just above. There's also the possibility that you would not be covered by any insurance (neither yours nor the aircraft owner's) while doing that without a CP/ATP ticket in your wallet.

First off, I had a commercial pilot in the plane with me, second I flew myself down there own my own dime

Ya know guys I came on here to get a little info maybe pointers in the right direction... Im doing everything right and trying to build flight time with money a married man with two kids just doesnt have , assuming the worst from me and treating me like Im a criminal isnt the best way to improve GA, but what do I know , I cant delete my darn profile( dont know how) but I erased everything like I didnt exist....thanks

Ya know guys I came on here to get a little info maybe pointers in the right direction... Im doing everything right and trying to build flight time with money a married man with two kids just doesnt have , assuming the worst from me and treating me like Im a criminal isnt the best way to improve GA, but what do I know , I cant delete my darn profile( dont know how) but I erased everything like I didnt exist....thanks

Mike,

No everyone here has gentle bedside manner. Nevertheless, you'll learn to be careful what you post to a public board.

Stick around -- we're glad to have you here!

Mike, I don't know if this was aimed at me, but rest assured neither I nor anyone else considers you a "criminal" and believe me most of us here are pretty familiar with the desire to build time or just enjoy flying on a tight budget. My advice to you was simply that IF you weren't commercially rated there could be repercussions from the FAA for making a flight where one was required and that it's plausible that they might someday wake up to the fact that a lot of pilots have incriminated themselves on the internet where everything is forever. IOW in my mind I was looking out for you, not attacking and I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

Back