Looking for Help

Clint, have you considered getting a loan for yourself? If you don't want your daughter to have loan payments, then why don't you get a loan? You seem like a OK guy, but no one will help you pay for a high-priced hobby. You will need to pay for this sir, one way or the other.

Good luck.

Or the Dave Ramsey way.

1. Daughter gets busy putting herself through college. As much dad wants to help, daughter might have to start helping to row that boat and eventually take over entire flotilla.
  2. Clint gets busy doing all that's needed to
    • build up $1000 emergency fund
    • sacrifice, bare survival budget, work extra jobs to kill his debt
    • once debt dead, build up 6-months of emergency fund
  3. Then dedicate what's needed to build up a training fund of $15,000 so once he starts, any money drained out of the bottom for aircraft/instructor rental can be replaced at the top and there is always funding to continue until the desired/required ratings are achieved.

As much flack as Dave Ramsey gets from folks here and elsewhere, his basic ideas of delayed gratification, sacrifice, and hard work can achieve results. And often faster than you anticipate. Clint has already been doing some of this through his military service career. It just needs to be applied to his financial situation.

Looks like the GoFundMe account is gone.

I think she's been helped enough, and maybe too much.

My bet is all that money came from the people rioting. Once they broke in and found out it was the wrong kind of dough housed in her store, they felt obligated to make it right. ;)

Looks like the GoFundMe account is gone.

Yes it is. I took it down and am sending the one donation I received back to the donor ( a family member).I refuse to be called a beggar or anything of the sort. I started that campaign with nothing but good intentions and was met with absolutely nothing but negative feedback.

Once again, I apologize for violating any ethical code in reference to this forum.

Yes it is. I took it down and am sending the one donation I received back to the donor ( a family member).I refuse to be called a beggar or anything of the sort. I started that campaign with nothing but good intentions and was met with absolutely nothing but negative feedback.
Once again, I apologize for violating any ethical code in reference to this forum.

Change the word(negative) to CONSTRUCTIVE, and you will get ahead in life..IMHO..

I refuse to be called a beggar or anything of the sort. I started that campaign with nothing but good intentions and was met with absolutely nothing but negative feedback.

It is what it is... begging, panhandling, campaigning for donations... In short you were asking people to give you money to fund a rather expensive hobby. So don't be offended or have your feelings hurt if people perceived your best intentions the same as walking up to someone at a gas station and asking them to fill up your car.

FWIW
I couldn't afford a PPL so I spread it out over a year.
The XC was expensive and went on a credit card as did the Checkride.

What you probably can do (what I did anyway)

Start doing that and save up enough for your first 5-8 flights

Early on you want to get the flights in back to back so you are not taking the intro lesson over again and again. After that, you can space it out as you are able to afford.

As you get close to the checkride, again, save for a group of flights that you can do back to back to get ready for that test.

I won't fault you for trying only because I have seen 4 others come here and try kickstarter / gofundme so it must be a valid option but here it doesn't go over well.
Also pilots are famously cheap people. Honestly if you are starting this way you will be a cheap pilot too.

A lot of people say you shouldn't space it out or you need to save up for it all or 3/4 of it. For me, I wouldn't have gone through w/ the training if I had to wait and save. I would have quickly found other things to buy with it. You can space it out and it still work just fine.

For me signing up for the ground school was what kept me going.

Don't let this thread turn you off POA. We're not bad folks we have just seen this same thread multiple times and it is never pretty.

Stick around though, There is a lot of good advice to be found here and I bet the majority of people here struggled with getting their cert and may be able to give you ideas on where you can save money here and there or how to be successful in the least amount of hours so it doesn't break the bank.

Believe it or not other pilots want you flying. It is good for everyone.

That's all the serious I got today.
I will go back to writing dick jokes.

Like Bryan, I couldn't afford to do it in a straight shot either. I spread my training out over 3.5 years, flying only when I could afford it. I did this while being solidly middle class (probably lower class as the pilot community goes), and helping to support my girlfriend and her two kids.

It can be done, and you don't have to be rich, and you don't have to beg for money.

Gentlemen,

First I want to apologize for any violation of etiquette. I would like to say that it's not easy for me to ask for anything, and I apologize for going about it the wrong way. I never thought of posting the request in a forum setting like this until a friend (Private pilot) suggested it.

I am not a serial beggar, panhandler or bum. My phone number is listed below. If anyone would like to discuss this any further, or has advice, I'm always open to dialogue.

This approach is not something I took lightly or took for granted. I researched the crowd funding method for raising money and found that many legitimate people had success, and continued to "pay it forward" once they reached their goals.

I'd like to explain a few things that might clear up any misconceptions anyone has:

My daughter has started college. I have transferred the remainder of my Post 911 GI Bill benefits to her so that she can focus on school and won't be forced to take out a bunch of student loans.

With that said, I help her financially as much as I can. I also lose a large portion of my paycheck to child support for my son. Which I don't mind, but further reduces my disposable income.

Secondly, I have three years until I retire from the Army. My goal is to complete my PPL and use the remaining GI bill that isn't allocated to my daughter to fund Instrument, Commercial and CFI training before I retire so I can build enough hours to become a flight instructor upon retirement. I have an extremely unstable schedule at work that includes a lot of travel, short notice training events and long days. my intent is to take a couple of weeks off to train in an accelerated 2-3 week PPL course.

Once again. I totally respect any and all grievances with my post. if there is a consensus, I will gladly remove it.

I also respect those who have taken their lumps and paid their dues. While I've not taken those same lumps, I have graduated a few other schools of hard knocks.

I am not trying to take a short cut, I'm merely trying to play "catch up".

-Clint Stinnett
931-302-8962

It's bad enough money is stolen out of my paycheck a to pay your salary and for your daughters education, now you're asking for me to fund your flight training as well? Get bent.

Better yet, get a job that doesn't depend on forced funding from US citizens. If you still can't afford flight training, get another job or sell some of your stuff.

It's bad enough money is stolen out of my paycheck a to pay your salary and for your daughters education, now you're asking for me to fund your flight training as well? Get bent.

Better yet, get a job that doesn't depend on forced funding from US citizens. If you still can't afford flight training, get another job or sell some of your stuff.

+10000

I learned to fly for free by watching videos on YouTube. It ain't for everybody but it saved me eight grand.

I'm also sick of funding roads I don't drive on, and for ATC sitting all high and mighty in their glass towers at airports I don't land at!!

First, we sorta frown upon joining our community and then immediately asking for money.

Second, are you not able to maintain adequate employment to help create and add to a training fund?

Third, if you are employed, why not find additional employment (2nd and third job) to accelerate the additions to the training fund?

Robbing liquor stores is more in line with flying money these days than working 90 hours a week and still only being able to afford 1 flight a week.

Back