Looking for headgear for Aeros...any suggestions?

Launchpad

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AeroNautique
Hi all,

Am looking for a helmet for aeros, not Gentex or the like but just a leather-style piece that my DCs will fit into.

Google finds plenty but I was wondering if anybody has some personal experience they could share regarding any worth checking out or avoiding?

Thanks in advance!

Launchpad

Welcome. Are you flying an open cockpit that requires a helmet? I had a cloth helmet with DC's, and switched to in-ear (Halo/Clarity Aloft) and don't plan on going back. Much better for acro, IMO. I don't have experience with leather.

popsleather.com

Everything is custom made. I use a seasonally appropriate helmet covering my Halo headset. Shearling in Winter, Cotton in summer, have some for Lightspeeds for passengers.

Open cockpit.

Does anybody use anything besides Halos? :D:D:D

Had somebody yesterday comment on how clear my radio calls were yesterday.

Ernie

popsleather.com

Everything is custom made. I use a seasonally appropriate helmet covering my Halo headset. Shearling in Winter, Cotton in summer, have some for Lightspeeds for passengers.

Open cockpit.

Does anybody use anything besides Halos? :D:D:D

Had somebody yesterday comment on how clear my radio calls were yesterday.

Ernie

I'm the guy who did the under-helmet headset that Tony posted the link for. The guy at Halo told me they wouldn't work under a helmet. Oh, well, saved $200 that I didn't have to...

Ron Wanttaja

I'm the guy who did the under-helmet headset that Tony posted the link for. The guy at Halo told me they wouldn't work under a helmet. Oh, well, saved $200 that I didn't have to...

Ron Wanttaja

When I had my canvas/mesh helmet made, I left holes at each ear so I could insert the Halo from outside. Have never used it that way. Worst case I would think you could just shorten the tube on the part going in the ear, but honestly it has never been a a problem with the three helmets I had Pop's Leather build for me (canvas, leather, shearling). My wife and granddaughter also wear Pop's canvas helmets over Halos.

Ernie

All very interesting replies and I appreciate your input. I've investigated all the suggested options and I think I've narrowed it down. Cheers for the feedback guys!

Launchpad

Back