Looking for guys with experience

bgdriveway

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bgdriveway
Looking for some thoughts/advice from the more experienced guys on here. (In the real world, not just cyber space.)

Right now I am working as a heli mechanic in bush Alaska. Currently the only mech for a company that's looking to hire at least one more. (Email me if you want to work up here and have an A&P.) The previous DOM left the company for personal reasons last summer. Since then we've had some temporary or summer mechanic's but I've been the only full time guy. The owner is an A&P IA, but has his hands full running the company and being one of the main pilots as well. Basically I am doing all the work of the DOM right now, and wondering if I should stick around and really be the DOM for several years. The owner currently is the DOM on the FAA paperwork, but again, pretty much delegates all the stuff to me.

I came up here planning to stay for at least a year or so, and now am trying to reevaluate what I want to do. I need to be making a decision soon. I have some personal reasons for wanting to be back East somewhere, maybe even the Midwest. I'm trying to decide if I let this opportunity to become a DOM very early on in my Aviation career, will I kick myself later for letting it go, career wise? I don't see how it could really hurt me if I stayed on, but I don't know that I really want to. Been a mechanic for 3+ years and do a pretty decent job all around. Don't have 20 years experience in that 3 years, but I do have a pretty good idea what needs to happen. And I don't think it'd be too much for me to say that I'd be a good wrench for most any company.

What should I be thinking about to be deciding one way or the other with this job?

Thanks

How long do you plan to work as an A&P?

If it were me and I thought I would seek to stay in the industry I would really want to get DOM experience on my resume. Spend some time to make it an official position.

AK experience--CHECK
DOM right hand man--CHECK
DOM--?

Richard nailed it.

"What do you see yourself doing in five years?"

If it requires DOM experience, push for the official title even if not the official pay and put in the time.

If it doesn't, go do whatever it takes to get to the "you" that you want to be in five years.

Back