Want To Buy Looking for Garmin GTR 225

hamer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
hamer
If you have one let me know.

Thanks,

Why not buy a GTR200 and install it as a minor alteration? Lots of authority out there that a Comm radio doesn't necessarily need a TSO.

I did not know that was possible, I'd much rather do that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. If you have any other details on that, let me know.

The details are that there are no details. Who ever says it needs a TSO needs to provide the documentation saying that it must be TSO'ed. Easy to do for something like a Transponder. But mostly there isn't anything requiring a TSO for a comm radio. Maybe for 135 or 121 operations, I haven't looked.
Lots of equipment is commonly installed in certified aircraft that never had a TSO.
Somebody please let me know if they can find the TSO for a G-meter, clock, or Vacuum Guage.
Even if a TSO exists, there still needs to be a requirement that the instrument being installed needs to meet the TSO. like FAR 91.215.
It is possible that a manufacturer might require certain equipment installed in the aircraft to meet the TSO, but again documentation should be provided before saying the equipment you want to install must meet a TSO.

Pilots, Mechanics and even the FAA frequently like to quote rules that don't exist.
two I have heard from FAA inspectors...
Fuel caps on a 172 must be painted red?
Passengers can not be carried when towing a glider?

Brian

Thanks Brian. That makes perfect sense. My airplane is a C120 which never had an electrical system to begin with, so I'm sure that gives me even more flexibility in terms of what can be installed.

You do need to find a friendly A&P willing to do it. Don't expect any avionics shops to sign off on that install. It's perfectly legal in most scenarioes, but a lot of folks will refuse to do it because it doesn't given them the warm fuzzies that a TSO does.

Last edited:
Back