Looking for Expired Sectionals

hockeyrcks9901

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
hockeyrcks9901
Hello everyone,

I'm currently saving up funds to start my PPL training and during this time I've been studying as much as I can.

I'm at the point where I am scoring >90% on every practice knowledge exam and I'd like to start doing some practical practice flight planning.

I was wondering if anyone has some expired sectionals they could send my way that I can use for practice?

Also, if anyone knows of a good online (video or text) flight planning lesson, could you point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Off to make a formal introduction in the proper forum now. Been a long time lurker... :)

Steve,

Thanks for the link. I'm aware of Sky Vector and it's a great site!

I'm concerned with preparing myself for the training I'll likely receive as a part of flight training and I doubt Sky Vector is that method.

Good site to keep bookmarked for future use though.

Just walk around at your local airport when folks are out preflighting or putting away their planes -- odds are you can find at least one expired sectional in every other hangar/airplane.

If you walked by my hangar, I'd give you a few....but I have to admit, with foreflight, I am not keeping paper copies anymore. I do keep an expired one in my bag as an oh **** my iPad crashed backup.

Just walk around at your local airport when folks are out preflighting or putting away their planes -- odds are you can find at least one expired sectional in every other hangar/airplane.

I like that idea but would that not be a little awkward?

Fortuna fortes juvat.

In any event, most of those folks have that stuff cluttering up their hangar or cockpit just because they haven't had any motivation to go to the effort of pitching them.

It might awkward to a few people, but most understand. You might actually meet some great pilots that way. Pilots are full of knowledge that can help you with your training.

You can also check with your local FBO. Sometimes they'll have some old sectionals or A/FDs around that they'll give you.

I'll be at the airport later this month hopefully for a flight I bought at a charity auction so I'll poke around then.

Thanks for the help!

I've got some but their more than a few years old (I do have one from the late 50's but you can't have that) since I switched to electronic charting years ago.

I have to figure out where I stuck them. We were using them for gift wrap for pilot friends.

There's no real difference between the vfrmap.com or foreflight sectional presentation and the paper ones other than you can't draw on them.

A sectional is < $10. The hassle of tracking one down might not be effort, especially since so many folks are going full electronic. I'm sure the FBO will apreciate the business.

There's no real difference between the vfrmap.com or foreflight sectional presentation and the paper ones other than you can't draw on them.

Ron. That is basically what I am trying to do...use an actual plotter on a paper chart to make measurements and verify course directions.

A sectional is < $10. The hassle of tracking one down might not be effort, especially since so many folks are going full electronic. I'm sure the FBO will apreciate the business.

Brad: I understand. Some others have made some great suggestions about just asking the next time I'm at the airport. The reason I haven't just purchased one is that all the places I've found that sell them online charge shipping and I haven't been to the FBO yet.

I won't be starting training for a couple of weeks at best so I'm just learning whatever I can now.

The plane my coworker owns is based at Lakeland Linder, home of Sun N Fun, so I'm sure I can find one for sale there... :D

Last edited:
I use expired sectionals as wrapping paper!

Great idea for a present for a pilot!! :)
Now if only my wife knew where to find my expired sectionals. I might have to "accidentally" forget them by the recycling pile, while simultaneously emailing her (again, accidentally) a link to your post ..... hmmm .... :D

I was wondering if anyone has some expired sectionals they could send my way that I can use for practice?

You can PM me your address and I'll look at which ones of mine are expired and send you a Christmas present.
However, wouldn't you prefer a local sectional chart? Though for practicing, it does not matter.

As Ron suggested, asking pilots at your local airport is not a bad idea. As others suggested, you might not be always greeted with welcoming hands and a smile. Some of us are grumps. :) Don't pay attention to those pilots with a frown on their face. Be polite but don't push it. And don't bother the guys in uniforms, they probably don't own the Phenom/Citation/KingAir they're climbing into and they likely carry a miniPad with all the sectionals in digital form.

But while asking people, you might really meet a cool pilot who wants to help, what do you know? If you asked me at my airport and explained your situation, I'd pull out my backup expired sectional and hand it to you. And if you buy me a coffee (it is actually free at our FBO), I might even show you the basics of planning a trip. But then again, that's what your ground school will be for.

Welcome to the world of flying and hope you can start soon. Winter is a great time to fly in the south!

Lou

Either you fly out of a really big FBO or you gave up on paper charts a few years ago. Most FBOs no longer sell charts because they can't make the minimum volume. I have to buy them all online (I use mypilotstore.com $7.50, free shipping).

Asking around at the airport is not a bad idea - if nothing else you will get to know your local geezer population.

Either you fly out of a really big FBO or you gave up on paper charts a few years ago. Most FBOs no longer sell charts because they can't make the minimum volume. I have to buy them all online (I use mypilotstore.com $7.50, free shipping).

Asking around at the airport is not a bad idea - if nothing else you will get to know your local geezer population.

You got me. I've been on Foreflight since 2010 and on a NOAA/NACO/FAA subscription going back to 2003. It's been more than a decade since I've bought a VFR chart at the FBO.

...but then again some instructors at the FBO might be willing to trade an old sectional for a potential new student.

You know, I think that's where mine are right now. Piled up on a table in the hangar after I cleaned all the expired ones out of the plane.

Back