Looking for day trip destinations

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
My parents are out of town this week, I've been given the green light to do whatever. I got the plane cleaned up today, I'm ready to fly somewhere. I'd preferably like to add a state or 2 to my map, and can spend the night somewhere.

Anyways, I want to fly somewhere cool. 800 miles or less is ideal. (from KHYI)

My parents are out of town this week, I've been given the green light to do whatever. I got the plane cleaned up today, I'm ready to fly somewhere. I'd preferably like to add a state or 2 to my map, and can spend the night somewhere.

Cheyenne (KCYS) is 756nm from KHYI.
Laramie (LAR) is 788nm.
Both on the edge of your range, but either would add Wyoming to your map.

Show up in Colorado early Saturday morning and we'll go add Wyoming to your state list. Maybe go bounce off the Green River Intergalactic Spaceport...

Cheyenne (KCYS) is 756nm from KHYI.
Laramie (LAR) is 788nm.
Both on the edge of your range, but either would add Wyoming to your map.

I's gots better destinations in Wyoming...

Fly up to KTHA and check out the Beechcraft Heritage Museum. It is really cool

I69 in OHio is the home of Sporty's...they have a cookout each Saturday...

You need to come to Maine sometime - obviously out of your set range though. :yesnod:

Outside of your 800 mile radius but if you decide to add PA to your map you have a couch to bunk on.

Piper museum is right next door in Lockhaven.

There is Always Dayton, OH. KTHA Not sure but you might be able to find a way to get to Wright-Patterson they have a great muesum

I see Georgia is already on your map. If you flew into 19A though by Friday I'd buy your breakfast since Saturday is our EAA Chapter monthly pancake breakfast. Also have a guest room for you.

Heh heh, You're running into that "hmmm, ok this is getting boring, what's next" phase. Well, you have a plane, do you have your commercial yet? Pipeline patrol would be available, you could pick up a couple of mainline routes to start with, lease direct to someone with contracts or try for your own, Call Conoco pipeline division, they were a good outfit, call whomever. Collection fields you need to be comfortable at near aerobatic routine performances below 150' while tracking which pipes are yours as they twist around the pumps, tanks and valves that 5 companies maybe with multiple surface leases sharing across a field to a transit station/pipe. They are tough and you should probably have 10 hrs aerobatic training and a couple hundred low level transit pipe patrol hours (call it a month on the job working a plane for a living) before taking one on. You'll need a bunch of dual on those learning them anyway. Best to stick to transit pipe.

Last edited:
You could go to Chanute Air Museum near Rantoul, Illinois. It is 784 nautical miles away and in Illinois which is not on your map.
Here is a link to the museum.
http://www.aeromuseum.org/
I hope the weather is good for you on Thursday.
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Fly up to KTHA and check out the Beechcraft Heritage Museum. It is really cool

And the FBO is the nicest one I have visited to date. No stupid fees, huge TV's, leather recliners, nice people. Gas is not expensive as i recall

Hmmm,

Nawlins is always fun.

Orlando is just a little beyond 800 miles. Nothing like saying "Yeah, I flew to Disneyworld for lunch".

Chicago is about 850. Can you get the deep dish pizza home when it's still warm?

Pheonix / Flagstaff / Grand Canyon.

Is there a girl you're trying to impress?

Heh heh, You're running into that "hmmm, ok this is getting boring, what's next" phase. Well, you have a plane, do you have your commercial yet? Pipeline patrol would be available, you could pick up a couple of mainline routes to start with, lease direct to someone with contracts or try for your own, Call Conoco pipeline division, they were a good outfit, call whomever. Collection fields you need to be comfortable at near aerobatic routine performances below 150' while tracking which pipes are yours as they twist around the pumps, tanks and valves that 5 companies maybe with multiple surface leases sharing across a field to a transit station/pipe. They are tough and you should probably have 10 hrs aerobatic training and a couple hundred low level transit pipe patrol hours (call it a month on the job working a plane for a living) before taking one on. You'll need a bunch of dual on those learning them anyway. Best to stick to transit pipe.

He's got a birthday to have first.

Hmmm,

Nawlins is always fun.

Orlando is just a little beyond 800 miles. Nothing like saying "Yeah, I flew to Disneyworld for lunch".

Chicago is about 850. Can you get the deep dish pizza home when it's still warm?

Pheonix / Flagstaff / Grand Canyon.

Is there a girl you're trying to impress?

I did Prescott/Sedona earlier this summer. Really neat area - Stearman Field in Wichita is a great place though, and unless I get stuck due to wx I should be able to fly back the same day.

dang i'm going to be stuck at work. come up for supper and spend the night.

You need to come to Maine sometime - obviously out of your set range though. :yesnod:

What do you think of Maine? We checked out western NY last week and we now want to try Portland Maine for our next homestead. Brunswick Maine sounds good too. I will take longer winters for a great summer.

fly up whenever you want, i'll be out of work around 5 PM depending on how early i wake up. can meet for supper after that any time.

I want to be reincarnated as David White.

Stop tempting me. Stop. Stop. Stop! Hahaha.

I can't do it this week, but I did at least look at my appointment calendar and dream of an early afternoon flight to Wichita. ;)

david could always sleep on the couch...

Stop tempting me. Stop. Stop. Stop! Hahaha.

I can't do it this week, but I did at least look at my appointment calendar and dream of an early afternoon flight to Wichita. ;)

Call in sick with Count Choculitis, come to Wichita. The hamburgers beckon.

Call in sick with Count Choculitis, come to Wichita. The hamburgers beckon.

Sadly the thing that's in the way on Thursday isn't my official money-paying job, it's one of the other non-paying volunteer variety. ;)

After you're done at Wichita come on over to SE MO. We have plenty of extra bedrooms and ample short grass strips to test your skills.

Lunch at Ste. Genevieve on Saturday or Sunday (6mo2, 1600') would be fun!

And you can make a short hop to one of the airports across the river and bag Illinois.

Change of plans, going to go all the way to Lincoln tomorrow, and then fly back to Wichita with Jesse for dinner with Tony, and then back to Lincoln.

Hmmm,

Nawlins is always fun.

yup - can't resist the line "flew down to Taos [or Sante Fe] for lunch today"

May I recommend Maryland!
LOL!

Back