Looking for Brackett or El Monte Pilots

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I have newly-minted private pilot student who is now attending college in Azusa and said I'd see if there were any pilots based at one of those two who might be willing to provide some local knowledge about flying in the area.

Thanks in advance.

I fly outta Cable (KCCB) its 5 miles east of brackett. Let me know if I can help

I have a hangar with a Comanche in it at Brackett - going up later this week for waste some money, so if you want to go - or want to sit and watch planes from my hangar - PM me. Stay away from the Dam and Glendora under 5000.

El Monte airport reminds of an interesting episode dating back to over 20 years ago. I was a freshly minted PPL in the San Francisco Bay area and decided to take 3 of my friends for a weekend trip to Los Angeles. We planned to land late night at Burbank. I was conducting meticulous navigation but when I found myself over the great LA area I was overwhelmed by the flood of city lights - even though there were many airports in the area I could not see a single rotating airport beacon (visibility was excellent). In desperation I was looking for any airport I could land at - finally saw a lit runway and landed, I had no clue where I landed but taxied to the only building where lights were still on and was greeted by some young commercial pilot in pilot's uniform working on his flight plan - he said (I still recall his words) - welcome to El Monte airport, nobody can find us how did you? Then upon learning of my problem he suggested that I takeoff, fly heading XXX and talk to LA approach telling them I was not familiar with the area and asking for vectors to Burbank. Perhaps not more than 20 mins. later we were landing at Burbank. I was humbled by this experience.

Last edited:
Yeah - the fields of lights in the city means instead of looking for rotating beacons you need to be looking for big empty dark spaces surrounded by lights.

Or tune in the ILS and see when you cross it then look right or left!

Back