Looking for Basic Med physican referral in SF Bay Area

Cruzinchris

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cruzinchris
I'm a 71 yo PP in excellent health and want to go with Basic Med. My long time doctor won't do it. I posted on this before and there were some replies to go with Concentra, but they are not doing them. Recommendations?

Have you looked at the "docs in the box" clinics that do physicals for DOT, schools, sports, camps, etc?

That is where I went. Once the doctor read the AOPA "This is what BasicMed is", he was willing to conduct the exam.

I agree that a clinic that does DOT exams is a good bet.

I found my BasicMed doctor by looking for an Occupational therapy clinic that does DOT exams. I then got in contact with a nurse there, who checked with family-practice doctor. He was willing, even though he had never heard of BasicMed. (It was important that I mentioned this is not an FAA medical, but is something new that can be done by any doctor.)

After making the appointment, I emailed them the AOPA description as well as the multi-page checklist, and that did help the doctor prepare, since it was his first time.

Another possibility to consider is an AME - some are willing to do BasicMed, and they're pretty much guaranteed to have all the needed equipment. ;)

The reason I mention that is that it is possible that a physician might agree to do a first-ever BasicMed exam and then balk at some of the requirements, especially color vision and ocular alignment testing. My PCP agreed, and when I realized that he would need specialized equipment I chose an AME instead. Later when I discussed this with my PCP, he told me that I had made the right choice because he didn't have the equipment for those specific tests.

I'm not sure whether those tests are done for CDL exams. If they are, then no problem going with a random doc who does them. Otherwise, make sure any first-time doctor is aware of everything he needs to do before showing up for the actual exam appointment.

DOT clinic worked for me. Be sure the physician doing it is state licensed and his certificate number is on the form (and can be read) You'll need to type it on the BasicMed form you submit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back