Looking for an old post

t0r0nad0

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
PJ Gustafson
Okay, a couple of months back, one of the users on here who is a FAAST rep posted a story about how he warned a private pilot about walking into the FBO Lobby and asking if anyone wanted to go flying with him and split costs, then the FAA busted that guy after he refused to heed the warning. Does anyone else remember this and can you point me to that post? I want to link to it in another forum that I'm on.

Use the Search Function on the tool bar above and slightly to the right and type in key words or phrases you recall from the post.

I've been doing that for the past hr to no avail... I think it was something off-topic in another thread. Thanks for the tip, though.

I'd be interested in that one. If you're merely splitting cost with neither party paying more than 50% of expenses, how can it be a violation?

Okay, a couple of months back, one of the users on here who is a FAAST rep posted a story about how he warned a private pilot about walking into the FBO Lobby and asking if anyone wanted to go flying with him and split costs, then the FAA busted that guy after he refused to heed the warning. Does anyone else remember this and can you point me to that post? I want to link to it in another forum that I'm on.

Unless there is more to like going to a specific destination, I have trouble with that. "Just Flying" seems to be "commonality of purpose" between two pilots to me.

I wonder if they busted the guy for soliciting business. A totally bogus bust, I'm sure. If they could do that, how about all the times you've asked your buddies at the office if they wanted to join you for a $100 hamburger.

I wonder if they busted the guy for soliciting business. A totally bogus bust, I'm sure. If they could do that, how about all the times you've asked your buddies at the office if they wanted to join you for a $100 hamburger.
The only ways it would be a bust is if he were accepting payment for more than his passenger's percentage of expenses either as a private pilot or commercial pilot. Or, if he were advertising or "holding out" to offer rides for pay. The latter would have you acting as a Part 135 operation for which you aren't likely authorized.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only ways it would be a bust is if he were accepting payment for more than his passenger's percentage of expenses either as a private pilot or commercial pilot. Or, if he were advertising or "holding out" to offer rides for pay. The latter would have you acting as a Part 135 operation for which you aren't likely authorized.

Yeah, I'm giving the fellow the benefit of the doubt for sure. If he's gone outside the splitting cost guidelines, then it would be a rightous bust for sure. I'd be curious to know the whole story.

I'm looking now. Scott is the master of resurrecting dead posts, so he may be of help too :D

IIRC, it was something about the fact that he was making his flying available to the public, even though he was only accepting the passenger's pro rata share... I wish I could find that thing...

Back