Looking for an airplane, what do you think?

Dustin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sticks
I am looking for an airplane, single engine piston, for $20,000 or preferrably less. Airworthy condition, a little TLC is okay. Cosmetics not a big deal, can work with that. Mechanically is a big deal, want it to be sound.

Would like it to be IFR capable.

Two or four seat, although I think I might have to go for a two seat for that price range; it would be nice to be able to take all three kids up at once.

I would like to have something that is fuel efficient, 4-8 gph. Range negotiable, probably won't do many LONG cross countries.

Thinking about a Cessna 150, although I am going to find one to fly and see how it feels with me in it in flight.

What other kind of planes do you all recommend?

Dustin said:
I am looking for an airplane, single engine piston, for $20,000 or preferrably less. Airworthy condition, a little TLC is okay. Cosmetics not a big deal, can work with that. Mechanically is a big deal, want it to be sound.

Two or four seat, although I think I might have to go for a two seat for that price range; it would be nice to be able to take all three kids up at once.

I would like to have something that is fuel efficient, 4-8 gph. Range negotiable, probably won't do many LONG cross countries.

Thinking about a Cessna 150, although I am going to find one to fly and see how it feels with me in it in flight.

In that price range there is not a lot, but I do like the Piper Tomahawk. Much more confortable than the 150/152.

Start checking out http://www.aso.com to get a feel for prices. If you were able to go up another $10,000 there would be a few mor eplanes available to you that could be a better fit.

smigaldi said:
In that price range there is not a lot, but I do like the Piper Tomahawk. Much more confortable than the 150/152.

Start checking out http://www.aso.com to get a feel for prices. If you were able to go up another $10,000 there would be a few mor eplanes available to you that could be a better fit.

I also like the Tomahawk. That is what I learned to fly in. Most of them are more expensive from what I have seen.

I have also thought about the Piper Tri-Pacer. Nice little fabric plane with 4 seats.

The Cherokee 140 is on my list, although I sat in one and there is not much room in the back seat for legs, even kid legs.

I want to find something in the $10,000 to 20,000 range to start out with. While flying that one, I will attempt to save more money for a bigger plane.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Greg Bockelman said:
Where have you been, Dustin? We miss you.:yes:

Hi Greg! I have been around. Mostly watching my kids and working weekends, sigh. Life is good. Trying to save money for an airplane so I can go fly down here at Warsaw.

Right now, if I want to go fly, I would have to drive 2 hours to MKC. The club's C-172 is there. Then I have to drive back 2 hours. This makes no sense to me.

Are you taking good care of my C-195 for me?:D

Not much besides trainer-type 2-seaters in that price range. Have you considered finding a partner and pooling your resources to get a more 4-seaty type of plane (C-172, Grumman Cheetah, Beech Sport, PA-28-140 -- which have four seats but won't haul four adults beyond the traffic pattern)?

BTW, if you're looking for a 100 HP-class 2-seater, you might also consider the Grumman AA-1x Yankees. They can be had with reasonable avionics and good condition for under $20K, and because more of them are used more for personal XC flying than the other "trainer" types (as opposed to being used as flight school trainers), you'll generally find more avionics already installed for the same price. Quicker than the C-152/T-hawk/Skipper, and zippier handling but still fine for IFR training.

smigaldi said:
Start checking out http://www.aso.com to get a feel for prices.

The thing about ASO.COM is that most of the planes (at least the last time I looked) were being sold by or through broker/dealers...I think the addition of the broker/dealer tends to increase the price.

Try a search on Trade a Plane...you can input min and max dollar values...see how many airplanes come back in your range.

Good luck.

Len

I think the closest you can get to that would be a decent Tri-Pacer. Real airplane, real cheap.

If carrying a good load, but not a lot of people is of interest, try to find a Piper Colt, two seat version of (Tri)Pacer. Very good useful load with full fuel, like 2 fat guys if i remember. Some have been converted to tailwheel. They would have to be nicely equipped to get over 20000. many i saw are in the 14-15000 range

I do not think you're going to find a Colt or TriPacer in which you'd be comfortable flying IFR for under $20K. The odds of finding modern IFR avionics in a plane like that aren't real good.

oh forgot the IFR requirement. rons right, as usual, nevermind:)
they are cheap airplanes though

IFR would be nice, but not necessary. A Colt does sound good. It would be a fun plane. I could fly it to work sometimes. I will put the Colt on the list.

Any other ideas?

My vote is for the Grumman AA1x,great little planes and inexpensive to fly.
Dave G.

Richard said:
HEY!

Stay away from that, I've already contacted the owner. I'm serious.

And that, in a nutshell, is why participating in a community is so valuable!

Richard said:
HEY!

Stay away from that, I've already contacted the owner. I'm serious.

:D Hee Hee.:D

It's yours. I am not ready at this point to buy, but getting REAL close.

Dustin said:
:D Hee Hee.:D

It's yours. I am not ready at this point to buy, but getting REAL close.
If I do get it, I'm taking it to Gastons and OSH. You can be one of my 1st pax.

I probably won't get it if it sells within the month. I've got some stuff I have to finish...

Richard said:
If I do get it, I'm taking it to Gastons and OSH. You can be one of my 1st pax.

I probably won't get it if it sells within the month. I've got some stuff I have to finish...

I am going to try to be at Gastons, so that might be possible. Sounds like fun.

Thanks and good luck on this plane. And have fun with it.

Dustin said:

Where were you last month when I sold my C150. It would have been perfect for you. IFR certified, new interior, good paint, child seat and I sold it for under 20K, plus, I am also in MO. I will keep my eyes open for you.

Dean said:
Where were you last month when I sold my C150. It would have been perfect for you. IFR certified, new interior, good paint, child seat and I sold it for under 20K, plus, I am also in MO. I will keep my eyes open for you.

Grumble, huff puff. Grrr. Such is my luck.

Thanks for watching out for me.:yes:

Dean said:
Yeah, it was a really nice one, too.:yes:

I'll second the rec to look at the 2 seat Grummans. I bought my IFR certified AA1B in July for $17,000. It needed a paint job but you said cosmetics don't matter. So far all of the APs that have looked at it have stated that is is in good condition.

I did a quick min max search for aircraft with posted asking prices between $10K and $20K...there were about 50 or so hits...weed out the projects and partnerships and I'd guess there were about 10 to 20 aircraft that were flyable. Most were older 150's or very high time 152s. Most had between mid time and 3/4 time engines. There were several older tail draggers. There was one Grumman an AA1A IIRC.

If you could stretch to $25K I'd bet you'd get a nicer selection.

Don't forget to have money aside for pre-purchase inspection and insurance.

You can probably save some money by looking for aircraft for sale in your local area. Ask around at the maintenance shops of nearby airports.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
I did a quick min max search for aircraft with posted asking prices between $10K and $20K...there were about 50 or so hits...weed out the projects and partnerships and I'd guess there were about 10 to 20 aircraft that were flyable. Most were older 150's or very high time 152s. Most had between mid time and 3/4 time engines. There were several older tail draggers. There was one Grumman an AA1A IIRC.

If you could stretch to $25K I'd bet you'd get a nicer selection.

Don't forget to have money aside for pre-purchase inspection and insurance.

You can probably save some money by looking for aircraft for sale in your local area. Ask around at the maintenance shops of nearby airports.

Len

I would do the pre purchase myself, along with all of the maintenance. This is one of the biggest reasons I got my A&P.:yes:

I might try to stretch it out to $25K

Thanks.

Dustin said:
I would do the pre purchase myself, along with all of the maintenance. This is one of the biggest reasons I got my A&P.

Dustin,

Didn't recognize that you had an A&P license...this makes for an entirely different kettle of fish. You ever think about buying something with known squawks, fix'n it and flippin it?

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Dustin,

Didn't recognize that you had an A&P license...this makes for an entirely different kettle of fish. You ever think about buying something with known squawks, fix'n it and flippin it?

Len

Yes, that is one of the things that I keep thinking about. However, I would hate to have a plane in pieces working on it when the weather is excellent for flying. Right now I would like one that needs little work to be airworthy. Then I would find a project to work on during the bad weather days.

I must admit that I think about finding a project for cheaper right now and fixing it up. This might be more expensive in the long run. It is mighty tempting though.

Back