Looking for Aircraft Maintenance Logging software

H

hawknips

Hi all,

I am looking for software, for the Mac OS X platform, that will allow me to keep my airplanes maintenance logs. Ideally I am looking for something that would allow me to keep track of the hours on the airframe, engine, and prop and alert me when we are getting close to scheduled maintenance. The ability to track AD's and that sort of thing would be great as well. Is there anything out there that would allow me to do such a thing?

Thanks in advance.
-Will

I presume you're not interested in building something yourself with OpenOffice or the like?

I was hoping to find something prebuilt. I suppose I could build something my self as I have so much free time.. Ha ha ha....

But ya if there is anything out there that would be great.

Has anyone ever used planelog.com? It looks kinda what I am looking for but I hate web apps. :) I know I ask allot. hee hee hee
-Will

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I am looking for software, for the Mac OS X platform, that will allow me to keep my airplanes maintenance logs. Ideally I am looking for something that would allow me to keep track of the hours on the airframe, engine, and prop and alert me when we are getting close to scheduled maintenance. The ability to track AD's and that sort of thing would be great as well. Is there anything out there that would allow me to do such a thing?

Thanks in advance.
-Will

Will,

I've been thinking about building just such a thing. I just need to learn Cocoa, Core Data, etc. in all of MY free time. :rofl:

I was hoping to find something prebuilt. I suppose I could build something my self as I have so much free time.. Ha ha ha....

But ya if there is anything out there that would be great.

Has anyone ever used planelog.com? It looks kinda what I am looking for but I hate web apps. :) I know I ask allot. hee hee hee
-Will

Will....good luck! I cannot even find one for Windows! Well beyond the $3K+ ones for FBO's and Flight Schools.

I just want a nice, simple one built for AIRCRAFT. Yes you can try and use an automotive one and tweak it, but I have tried and they just do not "fit" that well.

As for Planelog...I am with you, I HATE web apps for this stuff. I want it with me, on my laptop, whether I have an Internet connection or not.

Not too mention the software should cost about $50 bucks, with no re-occurring costs. Planelog looks like it can get EXPENSIVE. I mean $22 a month for what?

I just stumbled upon this the other day but I don't know anything about it other than what the website says.

http://www.avjournal.com/

It appears to be primarily a pilot log book but it has some maintenance tracking cababilities. It's an online system so I assume it will work with a Mac.

Lee

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
-Will

Will,

Just found this yesterday http://coradine.com/ thanks to it being in Ross' signature. It's not quite everything I'd wanted, but it'll work for now. It's a pilot logbook, but it appeared that there's some maintenance-related stuff in there. If nothing else, get your start on an electronic pilot log early so you don't have to enter everything later!!!

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
-Will

Has anyone found anything that they would care to share since this original post? I'm also looking...

Thanks.

We built a maintenance-tracking mobile app for our maintenance customers. It basically color-codes and shows time remaining on hourly and calendar recurring items.

If you wanted to try it out, I could log your plane in our customer database. It's still experimental, but it's pretty easy to use i think. I'd enjoy the feedback on what it needs anyway -- but I do have about a day or two's worth of bugs/features already.. so you'd need to go easy on me. It's a free-time sponge only right now.

I agree with the offline requirement OP specced -- but I haven't done the hour or two's work to make a localStorage cache of the data to allow that. One of these days I'll get around to it. ;)

I have been thinking about this a lot lately after a fella asked me about it. I haven't been able to find a good program that is easy to use. So here is my questions to you all:
What you would you really want to see?
What would you really be willing to pay for all your services?
Does it have to be software, because cloud is better for loss prevention?

www.sharezen.com might be worth a look. I have an account, but haven't really used it. As far as maintenance goes, it looks mostly like a calendar with a basic aircraft management template built in where you can fill in the dates for things like oil changes, annual inspections, etc.

Probably not everything you're hoping for, but maybe better than nothing.

Excel or spreadsheet on Open Office?
I've got tabs for flights, engine, airframe, everything else & me. Each flight is logged with date, tach and any consumables such as fuel and oil. Running totals for GPH, time since oil change, etc.
Next tab has all Maint on engine including what ADs when.
Next tab has same on airframe.
Next tab has same on everything else.
Last tab has due dates, serial numbers, etc.

Oil change? No problem. Gets logged on the first page, the next oil change date appears in the header and also on the Due Dates page (both 90 day and 25 hr dates). Set up a tiny calculation on the flights page that the oil column turns red when time for oil change.
I get new medical? Current date goes on the Due Dates page and it calculates 24 calendar months for the Next Due Date.

Other than what's on the Due Dates page, there's a history of every action.

Ok, so every year I create a new sheet and reset 3 or 4 links. Aint rocket science. Trivial to print, the shop loves it when the cherokee comes in for annual, etc.

Takes about 5 minutes to build a nice excel sheet that calculates everything based on current tach readings.

My logging is done that way, open the most recent file, update tach time, add description of work, date it, print it on sticky paper and then save as with a new file name consisting of the date and a description of the work.

All the math for TT TSMOH and the like is done for me, and I am lazy and don't want to do more work than I have to!

I've got tabs for flights, engine, airframe, everything else & me. Each flight is logged with date, tach and any consumables such as fuel and oil. Running totals for GPH, time since oil change, etc.

Oil change? No problem. Gets logged on the first page, the next oil change date appears in the header and also on the Due Dates page (both 90 day and 25 hr dates). Set up a tiny calculation on the flights page that the oil column turns red when time for oil change.
I get new medical? Current date goes on the Due Dates page and it calculates 24 calendar months for the Next Due Date.

Ok, so every year I create a new sheet and reset 3 or 4 links. Aint rocket science. Trivial to print, the shop loves it when the cherokee comes in for annual, etc.

Any chance you would be willing to share this with me?
Thank you in advanced!

Any chance you can share this item? Sounds like exactly what i have been searching for!

This is a project I am actually currently working on. It will be web based. Send me a PM with your exact specs you are looking for and I will happily code them into the project. System is RoR with an iOS and Android app.

Back