Looking for advice

Rneuwirth

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rneuwirth
I'll be in Chicago in early November for a professional meeting/visit my daughter trip. I'll be downtown for both. I'm flying commercial, but am planning to start making this trip in a C182 starting next spring.

I've been told that KDPA is a wonderful GA airport not too far from Chicago, but that it keeps me out of the Class Bravo craziness of O'Hare, and I'm thinking of going and taking a lesson with a CFI while I'm there to get a feel for the locale and the airspace.

Any recommendations for GA friendly airports in that area?

Similarly, I get to Denver at least 6 or 7 times a year for long weekends. Once downtown I don't need a vehicle. Any recommendations there? KAPA and KBJC both look promising. I'll be there in Early October, and may just look for a couple of hours with a CFI there too!

Doing my part to keep the starving CFIs of the world eating!

I'm partial to KAPA, since I'm based there, but both are good options. Also look at KFTG. Their gas is cheaper around here than anyone else's.

Getting from any of them to downtown isn't particularly easy without a car. Cabs are slow. Mass transit isn't really easily accessible from any of them. All of the above airports have rental cars available though, I believe. Might ask the FBOs.

From KAPA, if the FBO will give you a ride to Arapahoe and I-25 (about 4 miles) you can catch Denver's light rail system to Downtown. Relatively cheap and easy. From KBJC, you'd have to go to the nearby RTD Park-N-Ride and catch a bus. KFTG, you're in the middle of nowhere out East.

Getting from any of them to downtown isn't particularly easy without a car. Cabs are slow.
I know you can get cabs from KAPA and I'm sure also form KBJC. It would be best if you could call the FBO on the radio about 20 minutes out and start them working on the cab. Alternatively you can arrange for a car and driver. I'm sure any FBO could help you with this too but you should do that in advance of your flight on the phone.

When I lived in the Chicago area I kept my airplane at KARR. Easy access to I-88. However, based on your situation of not needing a car, it would be easy enough to fly into KMDW. Pro and cons for KDPA, but KARR and KMDW have their own as well. Let the frenzy start.

Back