Looking for advice on flying in the Rockies

As a local, I'll defer to you, but I can say, in my numerous crossings (more than half of which occurred before I had ever had any mountain flying training), La Veta is weak. The winds get up there sometimes, but its such an easy pass (and short....that's the key) that even when the winds were slightly higher (30knots one time), I was through the pass before I even knew it a few times.
OTOH, I've been through La Veta on days when the winds Bernoulli-ing through the gave me 40-50 kts of extra groundspeed and some serious turbulence on the leeside.

You might also consider a short Google search for La Veta and wind on the NTSB web site for some others' experience that was a bit different than yours.

Oh, and I'm going to BJC not FTG, but thanks for the airspace tips. I may even spend the night at Ft Collins-Loveland and visit my CSU stomping grounds.

If you're going to BJC you'll be flying through the busiest airspace on the Front Range of the Rockies, sandwiched between the mountains and the DEN class B. I'd still suggest flight following, and you'll get the hand off to BJC tower.

Are you a Ram? If so, awesome. I'm a third generation CSU grad.

This brings up an interesting question for CFIs out there. If you don't live anywhere near a mountain range nor fly near one regularly (essentially, you're a flatlander) what do you teach your students about DA and such?
Having learned in lower country, you talk about it from a theoretical point of view, much as we here in Colorado talk about ditching, fuel economy where you have high manifold pressure available, and having to actually power back for certain maneuvers to not exceed Va.

Of course, the are also periodic D-Alt issues in the flatlands. When I was flying out of 7B9, a 1800' runway at 253' msl in Connecticut, we leaned for takeoff and used one notch of flaps to increase lift on particularly hot days with two people in a 152.

This brings up an interesting question for CFIs out there. If you don't live anywhere near a mountain range nor fly near one regularly (essentially, you're a flatlander) what do you teach your students about DA and such?
I learned to fly at sea level and my CFI limited the throttle on one takeoff to demonstrate. That doesn't give you the increased TAS effect but definitely shows how the airplane performs, or doesn't. He later took me up to South Lake Tahoe and some other places I can't remember in a C-150. This club was very much into giving mountain training because they had had a fatal accident in the Sierras only a few months before I started taking lessons. The Sierras are easily as challenging as the Rockies, just not as wide.

I was pretty underwhelmed by airplane performance when I moved to Colorado.

If you're going to BJC you'll be flying through the busiest airspace on the Front Range of the Rockies, sandwiched between the mountains and the DEN class B. I'd still suggest flight following, and you'll get the hand off to BJC tower.

Are you a Ram? If so, awesome. I'm a third generation CSU grad.

Is Denver Approach fairly accomodating?

I'm fairly use to Class B (SoCal, PHX, BOS, NY), but haven't experienced Denver yet.

I was a Ram 91-94, but didn't graduate. Spent 3 years up there as a history major before I started asking myself what I was going to do with a a history degree....so in a round about way I went to an even colder place (maritime academy in Maine) and then wound up in the Navy.

But I do have fond memories of turning 21 in Ft Collins!

Excellent! Be here Sept 17 and take the Colorado Pilots Mountain Flying ground school! Then take the flying part the next day - BJC or APA to Corona Pass, Granby or Steamboat, over to Glenwood Springs, around to Leadville (gotta get your certificate!) then back home.

Unfortunately, the timing of this trip won't work for the mountain flying school. Maybe next year.

One question though - when they do the flying part, what route do they usually take going from Denver to Steamboat? And don't worry....I have no intention of doing that by myself. Just curious.

I'd leave San Diego before the sun comes up, fuel stop at AEG and will recheck wx and make an initial route decision.
Keep in mind that the cafe closes at 14:00 MDT and there are no options, the airport is in exile on the other side of the National Monument from the city.

Unfortunately, the timing of this trip won't work for the mountain flying school. Maybe next year.

One question though - when they do the flying part, what route do they usually take going from Denver to Steamboat? And don't worry....I have no intention of doing that by myself. Just curious.

BJC or APA to Corona Pass, Granby or Steamboat, over to Glenwood Springs, around to Leadville or similar

I learned to fly in Colorado, which makes going to sea-level sooooooo much fun.

+1 I love seeing my MP go above the top of the green on takeoff down there and seeing what 230 HP actually feels like. The two-bladed prop on the 182 actually makes some real airplane noises on videos I've seen too. ;)

If the FAA factored in DA, I wouldn't be able to get my high-performance endorsement using my airplane unless it was really cold outside. ;)

DEN is great and you'll want to talk to COS for the Class C anyway (very very busy airspace even around it on either side), they'll hand you off over the "low" ridge where 8500' is comfortable or even 9500' (Palmer Divide if you remember that), to DEN TRACON. You'll have to bend West a bit to avoid KAPA airspace.

Look for Chatfield Reservoir on the sectional straight west of KAPA - split the goal-posts of that and KAPA airspace to the east and then angle over toward I-25 watching the Bravo overhang altitudes there.

The southwest practice area is bounded by Chatfield on the north and extends straight south of it a few miles. Students in there doing maneuvers will be on 122.75. It's not charted. So don't plow straight toward Chatfield from the south.

Expect going to BJC from the south DEN TRACON will say "remain clear of the Class Bravo airspace VFR West of I-25", but they're great about traffic advisories and they'll still give you a squawk since that's a "funnel" between the West edge of the Bravo and the foothills with a lot of opposite direction traffic north-south. Actually they'll maybe let you keep your COS squawk if COS entered you in all the way to BJC.

If COS is busy, one annoying thing they can do is drop you, "squawk 1200, RADAR service terminated" right at the Palmer Divide. Have DEN freq handy or ask the COS controller to give it, since you're about to go right into the Bravo if you're high. Further West the Bravo is higher.

Right past downtown along I-25 is cool if you stay with the Interstate, just watch the lower Bravo altitudes and all the major sports stadiums are downtown so TFRs do pop regularly there.

Locals and helicopters sometimes squeeze up the *east* side of downtown which is even lower for the Bravo, but I don't recommend it unless you know where all the golf courses are, as they're your only option for an emergency landing on that side and there's a ton of them, but you're also down at 1000' AGL and pretty low. Not much time to aim for one. The West side has less options for landing actually... But you're higher and have more time.

The "West of the Interstate" route staying near I-25 northbound will put you on about a 3 mile left base for 29L/R at KBJC which is typically the direction they're landing, or an easy left turn to an extended right downwind for the opposite direction.

As far as Steamboat goes, Corona Pass (it's charted as Rollins Pass on the sectional - old naming battle that made it's way to the chart) just northwest of BJC, then up towards Kremmling and over Rabbit Ears pass into Steamboat, typically.

Corona is a long slog up for most of us without turbos and you hope DEN will let you climb through the Bravo. If not you may be shuttle climbing to get over it from the East. The terrain can outclimb most aircraft but the approach to the pass is wide and lots of room to shuttle climb back and forth.

Rabbit Ears is often fogged/clouded in and you can't go that day to Steamboat via that route. Pretty consistent crap weather visibility wise at Rabbit Ears if there's any moisture being pushed upslope from the West on the Steamboat side. You can get stuck in Steamboat by that phenomenon too. Rabbit Ears collects clouds and precipitation. Both sides can be gorgeous and the pass totally socked in. An old CFI friend has a photo of the rock outcropping the pass gets it's name from, and his comment is "I finally got a good photo without any clouds in it that day!"

DEN is great and you'll want to talk to COS for the Class C anyway (very very busy airspace even around it on either side), they'll hand you off over the "low" ridge where 8500' is comfortable or even 9500' (Palmer Divide if you remember that), to DEN TRACON. You'll have to bend West a bit to avoid KAPA airspace.

And while you're toodling along the area around COS and SW of Denver, keep your eyes open and head on a swivel - you're in USAF Academy area and the cadets often use the SW area just outside the Mode C veil. Allegedly they have TCAS but {snide mode on} these are beginners...They spend so much time watching the TCAS and the panel they forget to look outside!{snide mode off} there are times....Cadets don't talk to COS nor DEN Approach, but they are supposed to be monitoring 122.75.

all good advice above. One thing I haven't seen is "turn the DENVER TAC over and observe the Northbound VFR corridor" to give you another option, since you're heading to BJC. I would agree with all the above as better first choices, however.

When we speak of flying across a mountain range every one seems to think of the area west of Denver, because of the altitude of the area, but the highest vertical rise from sea level to the top of the rocks in the shortest distance occurs east of Seattle. .

I'll betcha Sacramento to Donner Summit would give Seattle a hell of a ride for its money.

Jim

I'll betcha Sacramento to Donner Summit would give Seattle a hell of a ride for its money.

Jim

Victor 6 out of AUDO is 11,000'
Victor 120 out of mooda is 12,000'

but it is the same thing, ya gotta go east? go high, go long.

Last edited:
Back