Looking for a time builder airplane (grab some popcorn and enjoy the show).

When I was younger I flew all over Florida and Georgia in a Tomahawk. I preferred it to the 152 because I’m 6’4”. I hear they are difficult to find these days. I ended up retiring on the 767 but I still have a soft spot for the PA38-112!

Flew all up and down the east coast in one, and left it there when I transferred back out west.. then sold it.. still kicking myself in the butt over that one.

They are not hard to find, but the parts specific to the Tomahawk are getting hard to come by and there are some outrageous prices people are asking for them. And then there is that pesky tail AD with the Vertical Fin attachment plate and the bulkhead - those can be costly.

Between the purchase price, getting all the ADs' squared away and some other maintenance issues, engine rebuild, painting, and avionics upgrades, I know of two $100K plus Tomahawks... I am thinking of submitting a new symptom to the APA for the DSM-V; "Traumahawk Dementia Syndrom." People that have them love them... and let's just say, I hope their wives don't sell them for what they say they paid for them! :p

Last edited:
For full disclosure, although think the 120/140 brings lifetime coordination and crosswind skills, I flogged a C150 for about 300 hours early on and just loved it. Responsive, not overpowered, paved, grass, dirt, ice, all accessible. Much more pleasant to fly than a 172 for example - kind of like an old British sports car with its handling (and lack of power).

The current plane I rent is $135/wet which is the best I can find around here. That being said my goal is fly A LOT in the next few years 200+ a year as time (and money) permit. Renting at that rate becomes cost prohibitive.
That sounds like a good rate to me. imho you would need a significantly different aircraft as an owner to get that price lower.

Or just get two planes.
For real. If you want uptime. Which is a clear benefit of renting.

Last edited:
@lsaway and @Ventucky Red, I was a CFI in the Traumahawk! I thought it was a great trainer and time builder. If I had a student that looking to go beyond being a private pilot, I taught at a Part 141 school, I would steer them into the Tomahawk. In my opinion I liked that the student would have to switch tanks and use a fuel pump. Plus that thing would spin like a top! It would definitely be fun to fly one again, there’s a beauty at KFIN.

Yeah, I really don't know why the majority of students, or instructors didn't like the Tomahawks. I bought mine from a flight school that bought it new. They sold it because nobody would ever rent it.

Yeah, I really don't know why the majority of students, or instructors didn't like the Tomahawks. I bought mine from a flight school that bought it new. They sold it because nobody would ever rent it.

We had the same problem with the Skipper, which some claim is who Piper stole the traumahawk design from.

I think they fly great, never understood the distaste they generated.

6779BAFA-F54F-4825-A2A7-1FAD41C2B8C7.jpeg 3B55AD13-A58A-4534-B5EB-74194C847605.jpeg To the OP:

You described the mission that I bought my Cessna 140 to accomplish. It is now equipped for IFR and even certified with a six pack, 420 and an ADS-B pad IN Transponder. As you understand, time is logged by the hour, not the mile. The 140 is well equipped for the distances you described and sips avgas at less than six gallons an hour. Find a good example and it will be a fun and inexpensive time builder.

Last edited:
We had the same problem with the Skipper, which some claim is who Piper stole the traumahawk design from.

I think they fly great, never understood the distaste they generated.
I LOVE doing spins in one of the original ones with out outboard stall strips.

Just DO NOT look back at the tail if you spin one. :D

The other side is, if you have a fast airplane, just go further for your $100 hamburger. :D

Find a club. I joined one, decent 4 seat plane with nice upgrades over the years, $25/hour dry and $100/month fixed. Can sell your share whenever you move easier than selling the plane itself. I joined 2 clubs. One is a dream, the other is a nightmare. Give it a shot.

Did you do the math? 200 hours a year, renting @135 an hour is $27k. If you bought something, and were able to sell it for the same price in 3 years with 600 more hours on it, I would say you did alright and lucky. But you did have to pay for parking, fuel, insurance, annuals, training and any upgrades and AD's. The first 10k annual, or overhaul might skew the money towards renting.
That said, I have heard if you fly over 75 hours a year, owning becomes the smarter path.

Back