For Sale Looking for a Super cub???

Boy you aren't kidding, nice cub and that thing is loaded!

Boy you aren't kidding, nice cub and that thing is loaded!
That was Roger's #30 cub he has built, the ad says cubcrafters built it but all the did was supervision and paper work to keep him legal.

he's selling because #33 is in the build stage now.

pictures are from our trip up in 2017

Attachments

• IMG_1288.JPG
    IMG_1288.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1289.JPG
    IMG_1289.JPG
    249.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1386.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 34
Definitely impressive, will make someone a great plane if they want that much stuff. Me personally would just want a basic VFR Super Cub, you can never beat the fun factor!

A new factory supercub isn't nearly as nice as this.

A new one in 1966 was $11,000!!!

Roger is the best!!!!
You bet!
in 1966 you couldn't buy a 180 horse, with half the equipment on this.

You bet!
in 1966 you couldn't buy a 180 horse, with half the equipment on this.
I just checked the 1966 price list. The only Super Cub version available that year was the PA-18-150 (the PA-18-95 was discontinued in 1961). Base price was $8,690. Pay a little extra and get the "Deluxe Super Cub", with such luxury options as an electrical system, sensitive altimeter, tie-down rings, control locks, parking brake, and a metal prop spinner.

That was before bush flying was "in", and Super Cubs were being sold out of the back lot along with the Pawnees.

pa-18-150_1962.jpg

Yep, Tom Murphy is Director of Restorations at the Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum at Hood River, Oregon. He's the pilot who in 1995 re-created Silas Christofferson's 1912 flight in a Curtiss Pusher, taking off from the roof of the Multnomah Hotel in downtown Portland (now the Embassy Suites), and landing at Pearson Field in Vancouver WA. I saw N3898Z in one of the back shops at the museum a few years ago.

844B7AF7-920D-428B-AC14-18D141CC9A76.jpeg

Last edited:
I just checked the 1966 price list. The only Super Cub version available that year was the PA-18-150 (the PA-18-95 was discontinued in 1961). Base price was $8,690. Pay a little extra and get the "Deluxe Super Cub", with such luxury options as an electrical system, sensitive altimeter, tie-down rings, control locks, parking brake, and a metal prop spinner.

That was before bush flying was "in", and Super Cubs were being sold out of the back lot along with the Pawnees.

View attachment 70459

They were simple, economical planes for flying farmers, ranchers and such back then. Now they are the backcountry equivalent of a Lambo with a lift kit. ;)

I remember looking down at the earth rush by in the DC-8 from Portland to New York, thinking "I have to fly the Super Cub back home all this way!" Then it was a DC-3 to Williamsburg and Piper picked me up there ina Cherokee to fly to Lock Haven.

My brand new N4201Z was the deluxe model and had a VHF radio, Narco MK3. It had gyros (WWII surplus) and the the tubing was metalized for floatplane operations.

I was too young and stupid to walk in and shake Wm Piper's hand, but OTOH he should have come out and said hi. I do remember looking at that PA-18-150 and thinking, "Wow' that sure is BIG!"

A friend still owns it and it has been modified extensively. I was able to take my father on one C-150 ride around Mt. Hood before he passed, and he always liked airplanes. He was in United Airlines 100,000 mile club. It was bitter sweet, because on his deathbed he told my mother to buy me a Cub.

That Cub is heavy. A lot of guys will drool over the equipment list but many will walk away from the empty weight. It’s all about what a guy thinks is important in a Cub. No criticism intended.

To the ad reference to having an external load permit and that it adds to the value? Not true. Not that external loads are hard to do up here. From the external load regs....

a. Certificate Duration: In accordance with § 21.181(a), the restricted airworthiness certificate will become invalid upon transfer of ownership of the airplane. The termination date of the restricted category certificate is the date of transfer to the new owner.

That Cub is heavy. A lot of guys will drool over the equipment list but many will walk away from the empty weight. It’s all about what a guy thinks is important in a Cub. No criticism intended.

To the ad reference to having an external load permit and that it adds to the value? Not true. Not that external loads are hard to do up here. From the external load regs....
Because the laws of physics change depending on the aircraft owner.

That Cub is heavy. A lot of guys will drool over the equipment list but many will walk away from the empty weight.
useful load still 750 pounds. I don't think that is too bad.

900 would be better. Empty performance would improve, too.

Interesting that your friend has gone through so many Cubs, including this one. Most guys sort through 2 or 3 and find a good one and hold onto it. Or sort through a couple and build what they want. What's he having built now? Carbon Cub?

900 would be better. Empty performance would improve, too.

Interesting that your friend has gone through so many Cubs, including this one. Most guys sort through 2 or 3 and find a good one and hold onto it. Or sort through a couple and build what they want. What's he having built now? Carbon Cub?

I'm not certain what the end result will be.

OBTW
https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/noticeView.aspx?nid=3219

The carriage of such loads is a Major alteration of the aircraft and they need a Restricted Category Airworthiness certificate (External Load Permit) issued to operate the aircraft legally.

The paragraph I linked was from 2014 regs. I haven't read 2018 regs because I went experimental. I can carry what I want where I want when I want. Like antlers. ;)
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/Order_8400.34.pdf

I believe Cubcrafters sold their CC-18 TC. Now they have the X Cub for certified or Carbon Cub for Exp. Or they can rebuild an old cub like everyone else.

Last edited:
Back