Looking for a referral: Neuropsychological Exam

• Thread starter Pilot Needing Referral
  • Start date
P

Pilot Needing Referral

Hello,

I am looking for a referral for a Neuropsychological exam in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. I discovered that a condition I had as a child (and for which I have not been medicated for since High School) should have been previously disclosed on a medical application. I discovered this while conducting reading on the recently hot topic of medical reform.

As a legal precaution, I stopped flying after discovering this. Not because I suspect I continue to have this condition. Others I have spoken with have indicated that it is highly unlikely that the FAA would ever find out about the omission, and that I would be fine. I prefer to play it safe and do the right thing in seeking a correction to my inadvertent mistake.

I have engaged the "left seat" folks in OKC to complete the process. I am now looking for a doctor to perform the Neuropsychological exam needed to be submitted with the details of correcting the omission.

Does anyone have a referral for a doctor in the Twin Cities area that they would recommend for this evaluation? Also, what are people's experience with the out of pocket costs associated with the assessment.

I look forward to reading your responses.

Not a fan of "the left seat folks" ... especially since they ask for dollars when this is something you can (and should) be able to do on your own without paying them.

The underlying condition is going to dictate which type of doctor you need to see. And if you see one who is known to the FAA (and knows how to provide the report so the FAA understands the findings), you are way better off than some random referral.

To find such a person, reach out to Dr. Bruce Chien via his website, www.aeromedicaldoc.com He will respond within 72-96 hours (often less). Dr. Chein is also the one who I would want managing my case should I encounter a situation as sticky as yours. So instead of "the left seat folks", I would hire him.

@bbchien

Not a fan of "the left seat folks" ... especially since they ask for dollars when this is something you can (and should) be able to do on your own without paying them.

The underlying condition is going to dictate which type of doctor you need to see. And if you see one who is known to the FAA (and knows how to provide the report so the FAA understands the findings), you are way better off than some random referral.

To find such a person, reach out to Dr. Bruce Chien via his website, www.aeromedicaldoc.com He will respond within 72-96 hours (often less). Dr. Chein is also the one who I would want managing my case should I encounter a situation as sticky as yours. So instead of "the left seat folks", I would hire him.

@bbchien
Although Dr. Chien is generous with his time, he charges too, so I wouldn't dismiss Left Seat on that basis alone. Does Left Seat have issues with exorbitant fees, or lack of effectiveness?

I just have heard significantly more success stories from Doc Bruce than the "others".

And yes, I realize he charges to review and manage a case beyond the initial Q&A. And even then, his fee is more than reasonable for the high level of service he provides.

Thank you for the replies. Dr. Chien will be my go-to for any SI's that may come up. He comes highly recommended by a number of fellow pilots and I like his no-nonsense attitude.

The Leftseat folks have been responsive so far and are just waiting for me to select a doctor to perform the assessment to confirm that I am not subject to any limiting or disqualifying conditions.

Right now, I am looking for one of the FAA known doctors. If Dr. Chien is able to perform the assessment, then I would be happy to engage him!

He isn't a psych doctor... he is a (very) Senior AME well know for successfully managing challenging cases.

But he may know the right psychiatrist in your region.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back