For Sale Looking for a project plane...

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
Thinking it needs to be a 2-seater, tube and fabric, not too daunting of a restoration, also prefer tailwheel, unless someone has a Colt, Tripacer, or Stinson (ie. not a 2-seater) project for pretty cheap that could be converted... Plan on putting some money into the project over the next X or XX years, but want to take it slow.

Disclaimer - I've made an offer on a 1946 Aeronca, but kinda feel like the owner's not going to accept it so figured I'll look around more in case.

Probably needs to be a certified aircraft and I'll work with an A&P on the project every other week most likely.

There's a Stinson 108 on the field here, but I'm not sure if he'd sell it. It's been sitting for like 5yrs and he keeps saying he's going to fix it up and put a O-470 in it

I'd prefer not to drive TOO far from DFW to pick something up, and don't really want a super expensive project. The project I'm looking for is >$3000 ideally.

Unless you are a A&P I don’t see this making financial sense. If you’re counting on free sign offs that’s not going to last very long.

Look in the project section of barnstormers
LOL, like I haven't been...
More like wondering what's out there in somebody's neighbor's hangar that hasn't been posted already. You know, a project plane that needs a good re-homing.

LOL, like I haven't been...
More like wondering what's out there in somebody's neighbor's hangar that hasn't been posted already. You know, a project plane that needs a good re-homing.
You in the General Aviation Junkyard facebook group?

Unless you are a A&P I don’t see this making financial sense.
It doesn't have to, Do you know of anyone hobby that is financially lucrative ?

and in the end, when he does a great job on the right aircraft it could pay big.

I'm not on Facebook anymore. Bad stuff related to family issue and I'm not starting back down that road. Happy to be free of it.
Oh BS,, Facebook is exactly what you make of it.

You can shut off the parts you don't like, dislike the folks that make life miserable .

I'm not on Facebook anymore. Bad stuff related to family issue and I'm not starting back down that road. Happy to be free of it.
It's a fantastic place for finding planes. This was just posted a couple days ago. I wonder what it would take to get it....
39748559_10156545979624402_6098236635512569856_n.jpg

39664843_10156545979784402_2043575152020553728_n.jpg

http://twinnavion.com/d16/ttn38.htm

Why certified? Experimentals would be a lot cheaper to work on.
Yeah, but there's this three letter acronym that says you generally can't use Experimentals with a flight school - like if I want to have my own plane for teaching tailwheel again in the future. I've owned 2 BC-12Ds, a Colt, Cessna 120, and Cessna 172 in the past, so I'm not skeered of Certified.

Both Franklin engines are difficult at best to support.

Susan Praul (sp) and her Franklin engine company has some parts, you'd best call her to see what she really can supply.

Want a project that will be worth some thing when done?

C170A

Yes it is an "A" model, but will sell for as much as 45 k as the market is now, but his price is high.

Last edited:
This one is flying, currently owned by a PoA member (@Stephanie B), likely could benefit from an owner willing to give it some deserving TLC, and I hear they are pretty nice to fly (provided one doesn't mind using one's feet). @Tom-D can probably render an opinion on the Franklin engine, but from what I've seen around my joint there's still a significant following for them.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...2-for-sale-at-kfam.108834/page-2#post-2562685
I've been watching that one. I could afford it over a couple of years, but actually am looking for a "cheap" project up front that I can invest time into - and I love 108s. Wish I could just drop $15-20K on one up front and be done, but...

Back