Looking for a Pocket PC..

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
..and I need recommendations. Thinking of it for plane usage of course. Approach plates, etc...

Don't need anything super fancy.

I'm happy with my Dell Axim but I'm not sure I'd want to use it in a plane. Screen seems rather small for some things. I can't imagine trying to use the stylus in bouncy IMC.

Maybe some others have experience with it...

N2212R said:
..and I need recommendations. Thinking of it for plane usage of course. Approach plates, etc...

Check the HP iPaq 4705. It runs on Pocket PC OS

Ed,

The answer really depends on what applications you want to run and if they run under PalmOS or a variant of Windows Mobile.

My recomendations would be:

iPAQ 4700 series for a Windows box
fast processor and a 4" display.
Palm T5 for a PalmOS box
lots of storage, ability to display in portrait or landscape modes.

Bruce

Really just looking at it for cockpit stuff. PDF viewing for approaches, etc...
Oh, and it HAS to have solitaire. :D

Brian Austin said:
I'm happy with my Dell Axim but I'm not sure I'd want to use it in a plane. Screen seems rather small for some things. I can't imagine trying to use the stylus in bouncy IMC.

Maybe some others have experience with it...

Sorry BA, but DON'T GET THE DELL AXIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

</rant on>
I loved mine until the first week out of warranty when the screen broke and made it completely useless. No way to fix it but we can swap it for a refurbished one for $200... hum, a new one was $80 more. And that was the best the B@$&^&@# at Dell were willing to do. My response to that was why would I want another of their high quality products if that was the way the wanted to treat a customer.
<rant /off>

Missa
-Don't buy from Dell.

Missa said:
Sorry BA, but DON'T GET THE DELL AXIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

</rant on>
I loved mine until the first week out of warranty when the screen broke and made it completely useless. No way to fix it but we can swap it for a refurbished one for $200... hum, a new one was $80 more. And that was the best the B@$&^&@# at Dell were willing to do. My response to that was why would I want another of their high quality products if that was the way the wanted to treat a customer.
<rant /off>

Missa
-Don't buy from Dell.
Uh...I could give you similar stories from HP, Intel, and several other manufacturers. I rarely take one person's story as gospel when it comes product recommendations, pro or con.

And in their defense, with low margins, would YOU give out a free PDA with no knowledge on how the person treated it during that period? And it's out of warranty. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

And I've also had good luck with HP iPaqs and Palm Treos. I tend to lean toward the PocketPC models now, though, since it seems to integrate more "cleanly" with Windows. I would have no problems recommending some of the iPaqs but haven't used one for a while.

My own Dell Axim is over a year old. It locked up once and something was corrupted. I did a hard reset (basically, it wipes the memory) and restored my latest backup, re-sync'd and back in business in about fifteen minutes (not exclusive to Dells, either). I've traveled around the country with it, dropped it a number of times, connected to numerous WIFI sites, and added so many apps I needed a bigger SD card to store everything.

I have a Toshiba e755 Pocket PC that I wouldn't recommend to anyone. It locks up two or three times a week, and when you reboot it, you loose all your data.

It's been so bad, that I've gotten into the habit of backing up all my data on SD cards when I go on the road so I can reload it, because I KNOW it's going to crash at least once while I'm gone. I know two other people who own them and they have the same problem. Mine was a gift, or I wouldn't have it.

N2212R said:

Maybe more fancy than you are looking for, but have you ever considered a Tablet PC? Those things are freaking spiffy for cockpit stuff. There's a guy here that uses one in his Cardinal. Its pretty cool. Even has a GPS antenna hooked up to have one of the fanciest GPS systems I've ever seen also.

Brian Austin said:
Uh...I could give you similar stories from HP, Intel, and several other manufacturers. I rarely take one person's story as gospel when it comes product recommendations, pro or con.

And in their defense, with low margins, would YOU give out a free PDA with no knowledge on how the person treated it during that period? And it's out of warranty. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

And I've also had good luck with HP iPaqs and Palm Treos. I tend to lean toward the PocketPC models now, though, since it seems to integrate more "cleanly" with Windows. I would have no problems recommending some of the iPaqs but haven't used one for a while.

My own Dell Axim is over a year old. It locked up once and something was corrupted. I did a hard reset (basically, it wipes the memory) and restored my latest backup, re-sync'd and back in business in about fifteen minutes (not exclusive to Dells, either). I've traveled around the country with it, dropped it a number of times, connected to numerous WIFI sites, and added so many apps I needed a bigger SD card to store everything.

I know all computer companies have the same problem but in only being able to offer me a re-fab one at $80 cheeper then the new ones they were selling on their web site bit me a little. (Ok, a lot)

After speaking to someone with an ipac, they do the swap for only $100. When I called I knew I would have to spend a bit but come on, only an $80 savings over a new AXIM for swaping my broken one for a refab?

Missa
-Just me not buying a dell agian...

NickDBrennan said:
Maybe more fancy than you are looking for, but have you ever considered a Tablet PC? Those things are freaking spiffy for cockpit stuff. There's a guy here that uses one in his Cardinal. Its pretty cool. Even has a GPS antenna hooked up to have one of the fanciest GPS systems I've ever seen also.

I've got a laptop already. Which I could set on the seat next to me. But, looking to the side, then at the instruments, and back and forth. The same thing would happen with a tablet PC I think. The nice thing about the pocket PC would be the ability to put it on the yoke. I don't think that would happen with a tablet PC.

ipac is probably using the swap as a loss leader. PDAs are expensive to make, and expensive to refurb. When they do a refurb, its usually because of a return, which means they haven't made any money on the refurb, and based on the list price, $80 off is nearly a 20% discount...

Sure, its not ipac, and yes Dell's award winning customer service has gone downhill in the last couple years, but hey, your Axim was out of warranty. They didn't have to do anything, really...

Hmm, and per your own data, if a new one was $280 and the refurb was $200, you got closer to a 30% discount...

N2212R said:

Ed,

You're probably already familiar with these sites, but just in case...

NAVAir Moving Map and EFB - www.airgator.com

Anywhere Map - www.anywheremap.com

Both systems provide bundled PocketPC packages, and I think both also provide Tablet PC bundles.

I have used the AWM system for several years, and like it. However, mine is the original (Ipaq 3650), with limited memory, no bluetooth, etc. Still, it's a nice setup. The NavAir system seems pretty nice too, but it's fairly new.

Oh, and skip the solitaire. I found that it interfered with my instrument scan.

Dan

And in their defense, with low margins

The guy that owns Dell is one of the richest in the world, I doubt the overall profit margins are all that small. I agree, you have to draw a line somewhere. My business sells products from several major manufacturers and if the customer calls and complains it usually gets covered. Most manufacturers will cover something when the warranty just expired.

Greebo said:
Hmm, and per your own data, if a new one was $280 and the refurb was $200, you got closer to a 30% discount...

For a used one over a new and I could have gotten it for that weather or not I shipped back mine (at my expense) by just ordering a referb off the web site.

I cared well for my AXIM then one morning I took it out of my briefcase and the screen was broken. Why would I want to spend $200 on another AXIM when I could spend a little more an get a new ipac with a better performance record? The independent mechanic at the field had one for years, dropped if often, broke the screen once and spent the $100 to get it replaced.

That and Dells no "help" desk and I personally will not deal with them again.

Missa

NickDBrennan said:

I'm considering looking for an EFB - Tablet PC setup myself. I've downloaded the NAVAIR demo and hooked up a gps to my pc. I dont like the way you add waypoints in it. Could use a better 'map', but looks like it works.

I'm interested in the AnywhereWX products, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

Jepp FliteDeck seems to only come with a tablet PC bundle. At $4k.

VistaNav looks interesting though....

The company my dad flies for ONLY uses electronic charts from an EFB (in the lower 48 U.S. states) and has Jeppview/FlightDeck3 on it which is absoloutely AWFUL! Jepp is supposedly working on fixing it...3 is worse than the earlier version.

I have an iPAQ 3670 (or a 3760, one or the other, can't remember right now) that I can sell you that I put up on ebay a few months back that never sold. I can also give you the "Pilot" discount :yes: I can include internet cards, 2 chargers, a keyboard, two add-on consoles for it.... My stepfather recieved a new PocketPC when he transferred companies at work. Now the old one (personal) has no use for me nor him so it's just sitting here waiting for someone...heh

Let me know if you're interested,

Jason

P.S. If your not interested, I'll post it in the classified forum if anyone would like it..

Last edited:
Just curious, could an iPAQ 3670 be used with Controlvision's Anywhere Map. Not the weather version, just the moving map gps stuff? Looks like there are a number of these on E-bay, as well as gps recievers for them. Could you purchase just the software anf go with that?:dunno:

Hey Keith,

Yes, the (I double checked) iPAQ 3670 is compatable! It meets the requirements for the Anywhere Map, but the processor falls a bit low for Anwhere WX:

Standard AWM:
Minimum System:
Microsoft® Windows Pocket PC
>200mhz Xscale Processor
64mb of Memory
Bluetooth (for BT GPS systems)
CF (for Sentinel II systems)

It has all but Bluetooth which would not be an issue if you are not using the systems needed with it.

I can also post later a "package" that and what it would contain and a price. Since I have a need to get rid of it, I can sell it at a discounted rate. If anyone is interested--feel free to speak up ;) I have to double check on the Operating System compatibility though, this iPAQ has Windows CE.

Jason

Last edited:
HPNPilot1200 said:
Hey Keith,
I have to double check on the Operating System compatibility though, this iPAQ has Windows CE

I just confirmed with Anywhere Map tech support that this PDA will indeed it work with the map software, but in the near future they will no longer be supporting older PDAs. The tech support rep said that he guessed that by the end of the year or shortly there after they will have a 'new' version out that will not work with the older pdas, but the current version does.

Last edited:
Back