Looking for a PIREP - Calverton NY

silver-eagle

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
~John
I have a family thing coming up. Nearest airport seems to be Calverton, NY. Being LI, there are a number of other places to go. I would probably need a rental or crew car for a few hours.
On the other hand, I could kill off two birds with one stone by visiting Ed's Refinishing while at Brookhaven. That's been on the plan for a few years.

Calverton has been closed for a while. They do some sky diving ops there but i think it's considered private. Try brookhaven(HWV) or MacArthur (ISP). You can try republic also(FRG) but it can get busy there.

Curious. I found Calverton via a sectional and the current AFD. I'm not making this up. You would think someone would have noticed the airport's status or the manager would have mentioned this to the FAA.
AIRPORT REMARKS:Unattended. Ultralights on and invof arpt. ACTIVATE LIRL Rwy 10–28—12

Curious. I found Calverton via a sectional and the current AFD. I'm not making this up. You would think someone would have noticed the airport's status or the manager would have mentioned this to the FAA.
AIRPORT REMARKS:Unattended. Ultralights on and invof arpt. ACTIVATE LIRL Rwy 10–28—12

Shows as a private airport in Foreflight

Use Brookhaven (KHWV) instead, possibly Gabreski (KFOK). Only ops out of Calverton are a skydiving outfit. They may still have one of the runways converted into a parking lot for post-Sandy flood cars -- they were parked there 12-deep across the entire length of both runways at one point.

Use Brookhaven (KHWV) instead, possibly Gabreski (KFOK). Only ops out of Calverton are a skydiving outfit. They may still have one of the runways converted into a parking lot for post-Sandy flood cars -- they were parked there 12-deep across the entire length of both runways at one point.
Thanks. I was thinking of Matituck as well. Any good FBO's with a car I could use, or arrange a rental for me? I was thinking about doing a little touring before the party.

Thanks. I was thinking of Matituck as well. Any good FBO's with a car I could use, or arrange a rental for me? I was thinking about doing a little touring before the party.

OK, I'm guessing you headed out on the north fork, then.

KHWV used to be my home base, but I'm out of there almost two years now. Being it was close to home, I never needed a courtesy car or rental. I'm not aware of one on the field.

Mattituck is short, and sparse on services. Its basically been uninhabited since the OH shop moved south.

Gabreski gets some private jet traffic bound for the Hamptons that can't use or chooses to avoid HTO. You should be able to get a rental at Gabreski. I've liked Sheltair at their FRG location.

HTH!

Back