Looking for a partner in southern FL to build xc time

WilliamG

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Billyg00
Edit: will do part 141 instead, thank yall for the advices.

Last edited:
Not to bust your bubble, but how does sharing a plane for XC help? Only one person can log the time (except if one is a CFI). So, it does not cut down on the rental time. If you both need 2 hours, then the total rental time would be 4 hours.

Not to bust your bubble, but how does sharing a plane for XC help? Only one person can log the time (except if one is a CFI). So, it does not cut down on the rental time. If you both need 2 hours, then the total rental time would be 4 hours.
Even if both PIC and Copilot have PPL’s, isn’t time for both in xc if fly together? Heard in my old school this was the best method to get the 50hrs for IR.

It may not cut down on the rental time, but it certainly cuts down on the costs, with both pilots paying their part. Not a new concept.
Even if both PIC and Copilot have PPL’s, isn’t time for both in xc if fly together? Heard in my old school this was the best method to get the 50hrs for IR.
The cross country requirement for the IR requires cross country time as PIC. This means that only one of you will be able to log at a time, assuming that you’re not acting as a safety pilot, in which case you both could log PIC time at the same time, when one or the other is under the hood.

yeah, I think the general idea is to split flights so that a 1 hour round trip for lunch as an example only costs you a half hour of rental. You fly out and friend flies the return for example.....
True you only log a half hour...so not saving any money towards hours in your log book....
but
you get to enjoy a trip to a place you you can't do with 1/2 hour rental + you get to 2nd pilot with your friend, gaining experience etc.... + you learn from comparing notes, brainstorming, etc.... + the "warm and fuzzy" of sharing experiences.

not only good for another newly minted PPL.....It could also be a win win if for example you could find a rusty pilot in your area that's wanting to get back into it

It may not cut down on the rental time, but it certainly cuts down on the costs, with both pilots paying their part. Not a new concept.
How does it cut down on costs?
Joe needs 10 hours XC
Bob needs 10 hours XC
The rental time would be 20 hours
Both would pay 1/2 of the 20 hours
Thus both would pay what would equate to 10 hours, the same as if they did not partner up.

Now, I am not discounting the fun of having someone else with you, or other aspects like that. I was just saying that it would not cut down costs. I think the OP was thinking both could log time at the same time, which is not correct.

Joe needs 10 hours XC
Bob needs 10 hours XC
Thus both would pay what would equate to 10 hours, the same as if they did not partner up.

Now, I am not discounting the fun of having someone else with you, or other aspects like that. I was just saying that it would not cut down costs. I think the OP was thinking both could log time at the same time, which is not correct.

I see, I thought this was possible to do.

You do know there is no 50 hour XC requirement if you train Part 141?

30 hours of ground training + 35 hours of instrument flight training - simulator time that can save you $.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/appendix-C_to_part_141

I’m pretty sure I will have to do the hours after anyways, plus I rather go 61 due flexibility options

Southern FL is pretty broad. X51, TMB, OPF, FXE?

Naples, I don’t mind driving some hours to be honest

Joe needs 10 hours XC
Bob needs 10 hours XC
Seems like you skipped over the latter part of my post.

The arrangement is beneficial for both parties when one is under the hood and the other is flying as safety pilot. Both pilots get to log PIC time and split the expenses.

I see, I thought this was possible to do.

I’m pretty sure I will have to do the hours after anyways, plus I rather go 61 due flexibility options

Naples, I don’t mind driving some hours to be honest

Investigate the options before you make your decision. You may find a 141 option that meets your flexibility needs.

Back