Looking for a pancreas

tree96

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
tree96
My best friend is having issues with his diabetes, needs a pancreas transplant. In light of the other thread regarding gofundme, if this is not welcomed here, mods feel free to delete. If it is, read his bio.
https://www.gofundme.com/2anqfw4

Thanks

I'm currently using my pancreas, but I'll go look at the page none the less

Seems like a worthy cause. Unfortunately, pancreas transplant is no magic cure which he seems well aware of. He was very young back then for a diagnosis, but nowadays Type1 is showing up at very early ages. I'm sure he's had a tough life, the care has improved a lot since he was a child.

He has dibs on mine but I'm still using mine too.

I think he is looking for better quality of life with a transplant. I remember when he first got the pump it was a big improvement over shots every 12 hours. The last 12-18 months his vision has been what has concerned him the most.

Boy that's heart wrenching. With a couple of kids, I'd be doing everything I could to spend more time on this Earth with them too.

Yep, my son was a diabetic all his life and has suffered pretty badly for his lack of control in his early twenties. He lost his kidneys a few years back and spent a few years on dialysis the Kidney-Pancreas waiting list. He had one false alarm (kidney didn't survive recovery), but he eventually got both and the combination has been life changing for him.

I wish your friend well, tree96.
I read his story that you posted. He's chosen a good clinic, for transplants.

Other posters who read only the headline for this thread may have missed the whole point that what he needs now is not so much a donor, but a quarter million dollars to pay for the cost.

The cost of medical care, and the limitations of medical insurance, can devastate a family.
Especially in America, where the cost can be so much higher than anywhere else. I recently looked into an elective medical procedure, and found that one can get it from the world's best known expert in Germany, at just 1/10 the cost of the same procedure in America. That option would work well for somebody who is healthy and can schedule the trip at a convenient time. An organ transplant patient is in an entirely different situation, unfortunately.

I hope he does well.

I wish your friend well, tree96.
I read his story that you posted. He's chosen a good clinic, for transplants.

Other posters who read only the headline for this thread may have missed the whole point that what he needs now is not so much a donor, but a quarter million dollars to pay for the cost.

The cost of medical care, and the limitations of medical insurance, can devastate a family.
Especially in America, where the cost can be so much higher than anywhere else. I recently looked into an elective medical procedure, and found that one can get it from the world's best known expert in Germany, at just 1/10 the cost of the same procedure in America. That option would work well for somebody who is healthy and can schedule the trip at a convenient time. An organ transplant patient is in an entirely different situation, unfortunately.

I hope he does well.
Thanks! I was hesitant to share, as I didn't know what to expect reaction wise from here. I figured a different headline may attract attention quicker than hey my friends needs money.

So far his insurance has approved the transplant itself, but the prescriptions required post op are what they are balking on. They were wanting proof of at least $4000 available for the first month, before they would proceed, who the the costs estimated to be another 2-3 grand a month for 6-8 more months. He has talked with a couple non profit organizations and we think he can get majority through them for a reasonable price. Kind of hinted around that if he moved closer to the clinic they could get him more assistance. But being able to find another job and move away from his kids isn't really an option.

It is sad that someone who has a disease through no fault of their own could face the possibility of being ruined financially. He works full time, takes pride in being on time with bills etc. It sucks seeing him go through it.

Thanks! I was hesitant to share, as I didn't know what to expect reaction wise from here. I figured a different headline may attract attention quicker than hey my friends needs money.

So far his insurance has approved the transplant itself, but the prescriptions required post op are what they are balking on. They were wanting proof of at least $4000 available for the first month, before they would proceed, who the the costs estimated to be another 2-3 grand a month for 6-8 more months. He has talked with a couple non profit organizations and we think he can get majority through them for a reasonable price. Kind of hinted around that if he moved closer to the clinic they could get him more assistance. But being able to find another job and move away from his kids isn't really an option.

It is sad that someone who has a disease through no fault of their own could face the possibility of being ruined financially. He works full time, takes pride in being on time with bills etc. It sucks seeing him go through it.
Is the progression to his eyes a product of Diabetes itself or is that a separate problem associated with autoimmune disease?

Is the progression to his eyes a product of Diabetes itself or is that a separate problem associated with autoimmune disease?
From the diabetes the way I understand.

Diabetes (well the resultant high A1a levels) attacks lots of things including vision, kidneys, peripheral circulation. My son has had problems with all of these (including losing his leg).
He's fortunate that he's severe enough to be considered disabled. The transplant and the resulting anti-rejection drugs have been covered under medicare/medicade.

Back