Looking for a LSA

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
I'm seriously looking for a light sport that we can afford. I'm working on getting my tailwheel endorsement. Hubby is one flight away from his. We are currently in New York and will be moving to Oklahoma the end of the month. We have a hangar in OK.

There was (as of this weekend) a Taylorcraft for sale up at my airport. I'll check tomorrow and see if it still is.

You will have a great time scouting the little airports in OK, reading the bulletin boards and chatting with the geezers. Lots of hangars with old airplanes that need new homes.

You can find an Aeronca Champ that meets LS limits for $25K or less.

Here's a nice Evektor SportStar at a good price.
http://www.theplaneexchange.com/listman/listings/l0018.html

18_1.jpg

There are a lot of great choices out there with a big difference in price ,have flown several and liked the performance however prices are high for the aircraft at this time.you can always go for an older aircraft that fits in the las category .

I was originally hoping for something under $20,000 before I started looking real seriously (desperately). Now, I'm hoping for something under $30,000. We don't want an experimental. A post-war Champ or Cub or Taylorcraft seem to be the most likely candidate. We considered a Luscombe, but my instructor is advising against it. We'd prefer 85 hp over 65 and I'd prefer side by side seating. Hubby wants brakes for both seats. We don't need a fancy paint job or upholstery, but we do want something that won't need lots of work immediately.

Last edited:
Why not a Luscombe? My CFI just bought a gorgeous Luscombe for less than $25,000.

Why not a Luscombe? My CFI just bought a gorgeous Luscombe for less than $25,000.
He keeps saying they are "squirly" because of the high center of gravity and narrow wheel base.

Now, I'm hoping for something under $30,000. We don't want an experimental. A post-war Champ or Cub or Taylorcraft seem to be the most likely candidate. We considered a Luscombe, but my instructor is advising against it. We'd prefer 85 hp over 65 and I'd prefer side by side seating. Hubby wants brakes for both seats. We don't need a fancy paint job or upholstery, but we do want something that won't need lots of work immediately.

Asking price for a Cub is at least $10K more than a Champ / Tcart.

The brakes on the Taylorcraft I flew were, well, they were installed - bit perhaps I'm spoiled. I wouldn't make a big deal about having them on both sides unless you want the left seater to prop it. 65 horse was a bit anemic - but perhaps I'm spoiled (again). Overall it was a nice honest airplane to fly.

Asking price for a Cub is at least $10K more than a Champ / Tcart.

The brakes on the Taylorcraft I flew were, well, they were installed - bit perhaps I'm spoiled. I wouldn't make a big deal about having them on both sides unless you want the left seater to prop it. 65 horse was a bit anemic - but perhaps I'm spoiled (again). Overall it was a nice honest airplane to fly.
Brakes are what you make of them. Sometimes they do need to be tweaked!

Ryan

He keeps saying they are "squirly" because of the high center of gravity and narrow wheel base.
There is SOME truth to that, but I wouldn't necessarily advise against it, just make sure you get a proper transition. Also, some of them have different modifications to the landing gear that help.

Ryan

My partners had previously owned a Luscombe but totaled it on landing because he lost control. He also said it was suddenly squirly.

How about the Ercoupe? Side by side, nose wheel,low wing with tremendous visibility, all aluminum except the fabric wings, and without the rudders, can handle a tremendous cross wind. (For some reason, the rudder versions have a lower max crosswind component.)

Good ones, with no corrosion, can be had in the 20K to 32K range.

Be careful it meets the LSA criteria. Some had STCs for max gross that go above the 1320 pound limit.

Hi Aunt Peggy. You need to talk to Deb McFarland about Luscombes. I think the reputation they have is undeserved. If I were looking at LSA, Luscombes would be high on my list.

We are training in a Cub. I'm short, so need a pillow. Hubby is tall and the Cub is doing a number on his knees. We are still quite open to any of those planes mentioned (Cub, Taylorcraft, Champ, Luscombe) despite some sort of drawback to each.

Brakes are what you make of them. Sometimes they do need to be tweaked!

Ryan

A well adjusted set of shinn brakes actually work pretty well. Mine will hold my Tcraft at full static, at least for a minute or so.

We are training in a Cub. I'm short, so need a pillow. Hubby is tall and the Cub is doing a number on his knees. We are still quite open to any of those planes mentioned (Cub, Taylorcraft, Champ, Luscombe) despite some sort of drawback to each.

Years ago, my CFI said about the Champ, “You’ll be able to sit in the front seat to fly the plane solo. The J-3 Piper Cub must be soled from the rear seat. The Champ has a wider cabin than the Cub and better visibility.”

Back