looking for a Flight Sim

APLT77

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
APLT77
Hello

Iam working on my IFR rating and thinking about buying a home Simulator. Can anyone recommend a good system or software and peripherals? I've seen that just about every instrument and avionics package found in the air plane are available to buy for a sim....do they really work with the sim software? or are they mostly cosmetic? Iam pretty knowable about computers, are these things difficult to set up? If I were to build the sim my self do I need "ad on" software to make the peripherals work (rudder peddles. throttle quadrant, radios) or is the out of the box sim software designed to work with these things. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I'd get a saitek yoke and pedals off eBay or craigslist, I've had good luck with Microsoft FSX with the updated nav data, if you have some money you want to burn, I've heard folks like Prepar3d.

http://www.prepar3d.com

If you want something that effectively simulates the actual equipment in the plane, you're talking on the order of $5K. Is that within your budget? Otherwise, all you're buying is a game, not a flight simulation device, and it's unlikely you'll find a game which effectively simulates the operation of modern avionics packages.

If you want something that effectively simulates the actual equipment in the plane, you're talking on the order of $5K. Is that within your budget? Otherwise, all you're buying is a game, not a flight simulation device, and it's unlikely you'll find a game which effectively simulates the operation of modern avionics packages.

Lol

WTF are you talking about, using a desktop computer with a yoke and pedals to work on his scan, or track a radial, or shoot a ILS is 100% fine

Or he could blow 50k on a redbird.....oh wait that's just a fancy box running MS flight sim too.

I used my big monitor and a yoke and pedals I got off craigslist with MS flight sim X to practice for my initial ATP, and it worked wonders.

Just get the yoke and pedals and be sure you have a screen big enough that you can see everything.

Lol

WTF are you talking about, using a desktop computer with a yoke and pedals to work on his scan, or track a radial, or shoot a ILS is 100% fine
Guess you missed this part:
I've seen that just about every instrument and avionics package found in the air plane are available to buy for a sim....do they really work with the sim software? or are they mostly cosmetic?
Unless you're spending upwards of $5K, they are in fact "mostly cosmetic" and useless for teaching people how to use the actual avionics even if they have some value as part-task trainers for instrument interpretation.

You have all of the options available to you. You just have to determine money / time.

The more money you spend, the less time you need setting it up yourself.

If you are interested in a DIY system, then start with FSX/P3D and the Flight Simulator Network Forum. That will get you started.

Or you can purchase the best selling RTF(ready to fly) TD sim, the Jay by Redbird. They start at about $2500.00 and come with everything you need. It is not a certified training device, so you can't log the time, but a great purpose sim.

Finally, you can spend 10's of thousands up going either direction and as much time as you want to commit.

Please disregard the quoted post as his statements are pure farce and notions of a forgone era of aviation. Nowhere on Xplane, or FSX/P3D is there a title or subtitle of "game" "play" or anything other than the words; Simulator. All of the software mentioned is certified as aviation training software. The current and most used software FSX/P3D is FAA certified and used almost exclusively for use in Part 141 training. They all accurately simulate all operation of standard and glass avionics packages and are used in ATD,AATD and other certified training devices.

Last edited:
Flying a HSI in FSX does the same thing as a 5k plus machine, you just have to use the mouse to turn knobs, or set a button on the yoke to do it.

The Garmins (430-G1000) are about 80-90% the same.

I wouldn't spend the money on the plastic radio stacks or throttle quadrants, you won't get that much more out if it, just keep it simple to start, get the yoke with the built in throttle and the pedals.

Please disregard the quoted post as his statements are pure farce and notions of a forgone era of aviation. Nowhere on Xplane, or FSX/P3D is there a title or subtitle of "game" "play" or anything other than the words; Simulator. All of the software mentioned is certified as aviation training software. The current and most used software FSX/P3D is FAA certified and used almost exclusively for use in Part 141 training. They all accurately simulate all operation of standard and glass avionics packages and are used in ATD,AATD and other certified training devices.

Exactly

Last edited:
Please disregard the quoted post as they are pure farce and notions of a forgone era of aviation. Nowhere on Xplane, or FSX/P3D is there a title or subtitle of "game" "play" or anything other than the words; Simulator. All of the software mentioned is certified as aviation training software. The current and most used software FSX/P3D is FAA certified and used almost exclusively for use in Part 141 training. They all accurately simulate all operation of standard and glass avionics packages and are used in ATD,AATD and other certified training devices.
The software, perhaps, may include the capability to support appropriate hardware to accomplish that, but once you add the hardware necessary to effectively simulate modern avionics, you're well above $2500.

And just because the software developer puts the word "simulator" on their product doesn't mean that what have produced is actually a "simulator" as that term is defined for aviation by the FAA, which includes both software and hardware. Yes, you can find some cheap solutions, but they do not look and feel and operate like the real thing. For that, you're talking on the order of $5K or more for something like an Elite PI-135 or FlyThisSim TouchTrainer. So, it really depends what you're trying to accomplish with this device, and if it includes effectively practicing the operation of the avionics, it's not going to be cheap.

Last edited:
The software, perhaps, but once you add the hardware necessary to effectively simulate modern avionics, you're well above $2500.

And just because the software developer puts the word "simulator" on their product doesn't mean that what have produced is actually a "simulator" as that term is defined for aviation by the FAA, which includes both software and hardware. Yes, you can find some cheap solutions, but they do not look and feel and operate like the real thing.

My saitek yoke (with throttle/mixture/prop) and pedals cost me under 100 bucks :rolleyes2:

I play with Prepar3D. Some people call it a game, some call it a simulator. I call it a flight simulator but I know it's a game. I flew in a T38 simulator out at Vance and I swear it was the same product.... but at home I'm lacking the full cockpit. I attached some pictures of it... That's what I call a simulator.

Now at home I have a yoke, pedals, throttle and I connect WingX to it. I also have a ton of addons including a GTN 650 add on to replicate what's in my plane. It helps me get familiar with the avionics, do some advanced chair flying and I'm hoping in my instrument training familiar with the procedural aspects.

Attachments

• IMG_0824.JPG
    IMG_0824.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
If you want to learn how to use conventional VOR/ADF/LOC/GS equipment to navigate, something like MS flight sim will work well.

For G1000 or the other garmin devices, you really want their simulators to learn the gadgets.

Nothing (not even the redbirds) accurately simulates ALL the functions of the new avionics AND lets you hand fly in a realistic manner. They're fine right up until you want to do something sophisticated.

On the other hand, I think there's still a lot of value learning how to build the mental picture of where you are when all you have is a VOR with conventional CDI and the sixpack. Basic attitude instrument flying and navigation can be done with older versions of MS Flight Sim, Xplane, or the PREPAR3D product for less than a couple hundred bucks for a good yoke, and rudder pedals.

Ron, shouldn't you have also warned him that only a EE could really answer his question? And the dangers of logging sim time? ;)

I use X-plane with a Bonanza sim that has a pretty reasonable Garmin 430W in it. The Garmin isn't perfect but it's close. The author of X-Plane has real airplanes with 430's in them, and he certainly knows how to write simulator code.

It also has an Aspen, but I haven't flown one of those so I don't know how accurate that is simulated.

I use Microsoft Fight Simulator X. They have a lot of free to download aircraft out there. I tend to use the Mooney Bravo or the old Piper Cub or the DC-3. Im not a real world pilot YET, but have used this extensively. It can be a great hobby and a good teaching tool for ground school.

I use Microsoft Fight Simulator X. They have a lot of free to download aircraft out there. I tend to use the Mooney Bravo or the old Piper Cub or the DC-3. Im not a real world pilot YET, but have used this extensively. It can be a great hobby and a good teaching tool for ground school.

Great hobby, sure. Though I dropped it cold when I started flight training and figured out it had little relation to reality. Especially the free ones.

For ground school, small toy aircraft and broken 6-pack gauges work better. It could teach you ADF or VOR, but they are much better behaved in the sim than in real life. I've never seen a sim where the VOR courses differ by 3 deg on the same navaid, but I sure as heck have seen it IRL.

Great hobby, sure. Though I dropped it cold when I started flight training and figured out it had little relation to reality. Especially the free ones.

I'm going through that now. I used to do 2 hour flights, messing with all the stuff in the game. Now I might play the flight sim about once a week and really it's when the weather is junky out and I can't go fly in real life. Like today with a 26 headwind gusting to 33. I find though when I play now it might be for 30 mins and I'm usually only doing pattern stuff or tricks. Like trying to land a plane on the Aircraft Carrier in San Diego bay.

I would say my flight sim experience has been beneficial to my flying.

I'm using an old computer I re-purposed, FSX (available super cheap), and the Saitek yoke, throttle quad and rudders. You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars, but you sure could.

I use it for procedures-type training mostly, and have added-on a 182RG (from Carenado) and modified the panel instruments to match our 'real' RG avionics. In my experience (note the caveat) the avionics work pretty much like the full-sized units.

The KLN94 we had in the RG and the sim worked the same, as do the a/p, radios, VOR's, etc. When we put a 650 in the real RG, I replaced the KLN94 in the sim with a 530 ($50 for the sim 650 and I had the 530 software already). With what I'm doing with it, it works. I'm not doing overly complicated approaches however, as of yet. The sim is my crappy-weather go-to if I need a fix.

Another caveat....my personal opinion is that during initial PP training a sim would not be helpful, and could possibly be detrimental, due to teaching bad habits and expectations. For example, there is almost no resistance to the sim yoke and the yoke pressure on the RG is like driving a big old (lovable) truck, at least during the approach. Because I know that, my work-around is to use trim for everything on the sim, just like the 182.

YMMV!

Jim

Last edited:
acdc2775d696b871784c5dec7591f044.jpg

.....Yes, you can find some cheap solutions, but they do not look and feel and operate like the real thing. For that, you're talking on the order of $5K or more for something like an Elite PI-135 or FlyThisSim TouchTrainer. So, it really depends what you're trying to accomplish with this device, and if it includes effectively practicing the operation of the avionics, it's not going to be cheap.

I have both the Elite PI-135 and the Fly this Sim. I guess it depends on the avionics and type of plane you are training on. I bought the Elite, but am training on an Archer and doing Cirrus work. Both have avidyne glass panels. The FTS is perfect for those planes. The Elite is perfect for others. Ron is basically right, the FTS was about 5K. My Elite was less.

Good luck.

Back