Looking for a flight instructor for KSQL

markw

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Skylane
I am having a challenging time connecting with a flight instructor at San Carlos airport to work on IPC and BFR. I have a nice Skylane 182 with a Garmin GTN 750 with Aspen display. I have reached out to several people with no response or no follow up response. I feel like the flight instructor might be avoiding instructing in non rental planes. Any suggestions?

I'm having some trouble finding a flight instructor locally as well, for instrument training. Obviously, that's a much bigger request.

I have a few people at Palo Alto you might try. But first, I need to know if you want thorough or cost effective, as those have different answers. There is one guy in particular who is extremely thorough (and I've used him for a BFR), but he takes a lot of time and it's prohibitively expensive for anything much bigger. The cheaper folks seem to all be part timers and a surprising number have new kids.

The no-response thing seems to be how many people treat e-mail. It's not very professional and it sucks bad.

Last edited:
I am having a challenging time connecting with a flight instructor at San Carlos airport to work on IPC and BFR. I have a nice Skylane 182 with a Garmin GTN 750 with Aspen display. I have reached out to several people with no response or no follow up response. I feel like the flight instructor might be avoiding instructing in non rental planes. Any suggestions?

Some of the instructors at my club teach at San Carlos and some don't. See the list at the link for which are which. They are allowed to teach in non-club airplanes if they wish. It seems like it ought to be possible to find one who would be willing to do it, although it might depend on whether they would be covered by your insurance while instructing in your plane.

http://www.wvfc.org/instructors

Henning had a bad experience with an instructor at the club, but part of that was because of club rules that wouldn't affect you, and part of it was probably the fault of the individual instructor.

Hey MAKG - I just sent you a PM with a question about something related. Would be interested in your opinion.

Thanks!

Thank you & keep the info coming. I have looked through the lists of instructor names at WVFC, San Carlos Flying Club, Advantage & others. Lots of names and I am looking for a referral instead dialing for instructors. I would like a quality instructor and not a time builder on my dime.

Thank you & keep the info coming. I have looked through the lists of instructor names at WVFC, San Carlos Flying Club, Advantage & others. Lots of names and I am looking for a referral instead dialing for instructors. I would like a quality instructor and not a time builder on my dime.

Scott Stauter is the one I normally use. He definitely qualifies as a quality instructor and not a time builder, in my opinion. He is not cheap, but he tries to make efficient use of time. He won't sign you off until he is satisfied that you meet the standards, which is one reason why I keep going back to him.

Thank you for the Scott Stauter referrral

Outta KRHV I have used Jamie Fernandez in my 182 a few times and would recommend him. I flew outta KWVI to KRHV to meet up with him. He is a professional pilot that is way past the time builder phase...although he does have a regular 9-5 job we flew on evenings and weekends.

jaimemartinezfernandez@gmail.com

Since people are posting things about West Valley and some of the CFIs there...

Does anybody have any experience or opinions on Greg West? I've seen some his YT videos, and he seems like the kind of instructor whose personality and teaching style I would click with.

Would appreciate any feedback, and if you want to PM me instead of posting opening, that would be fine, too.

Thanks!

Can't speak for all instructors, but all the guys I know and I, enjoy teaching in someone else's plane, always fun to fly something new.

Back