Looking for a FAR 141 flight school

Jbybee

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jbybee
My son is going to received a “You Can Fly” scholarship from the AFROTC. I would like to give him a list of FAR 141 schools nearest to Iowa. Any help would be greaty appreciated. BTW I got my light sport license last year so I am pretty excited about his new adventure.

If you would like specific recommendations, where in IA are you? There's plenty in IA, so he should be able to find one pretty close to home.

I'm curious - does the scholarship specify it must be a part 141 school? If it doesn't, part 61 training can be a lot cheaper.

If you would like specific recommendations, where in IA are you? There's plenty in IA, so he should be able to find one pretty close to home.

I'm curious - does the scholarship specify it must be a part 141 school? If it doesn't, part 61 training can be a lot cheaper.

The US government usually will not allow training Part 61 nor do most private scholarships. The other issue is billing as the student or the flight school is not handed the money. A training / billing log is kept and the school has to submit an invoice to get paid, which takes 30-60 days.

Last edited:
The US government usually will not allow training Part 61 nor do most private scholarships. The other issue is billing as the student or the flight school is not handed the money. A training / billing log is kept and the school has to submit an invoice to get paid, which takes 30-60 days.

Makes sense! Thanks for taking the time to explain. :)

Burlington IA

My son is going to received a “You Can Fly” scholarship from the AFROTC. I would like to give him a list of FAR 141 schools nearest to Iowa. Any help would be greaty appreciated. BTW I got my light sport license last year so I am pretty excited about his new adventure.
The FAA has this search engine for 141 schools:

https://av-info.faa.gov/PilotSchool.asp

Back